Athlon XP bus speed problems

Replica

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2002
No matter what i do i can't get my athlon XP to run at a correct bus speed of 133(266) instead i can only run it at 100(200).
below are my system spec, along with new or pervious components that i've switched in order to remedy this issue.

Operating System - WinXP Professional
Case/PS - Antec 1030 with Enermax 330 watt ps
CPU - XP1800+ ->, XP 2000+
RAM - Kingston 256MB PC2100, Samsung 256MB PC2100
Vid - ATI Radeon 8500 64Meg
NIC - Netgear FA311 Fast Ethernet
Sound - SB Live 5.1
HD - Maxtor DiamondMax 20gig 7200RPM, WD 20gig 7200RPM
CDRW - TDK 24x10x40
DVD - Samsung 12x DVD
Floppy - generic
MoBo - Previously MSI K&T266Pro2, currently Abit KR7A-RAID
OS - XP Pro

that's it for inside the case, as for outside, not that it matters, microsoft intellimous optical
Logitech Internet Navigator keyboard

I built the system last year almost from scratch, the only thing i retained from a previous system was the Maxtor Hard Drive

Not having all the cash to purchase at once, i purchased first the motherboard(MSI) and processor(1800+), ram(kingston) case and ps. which i used with borrowed parts > monitor, Voodoo3, sound blaster, nic, and cd rom

when i purchased the rest of my parts, (radeon, western digital, sound blaster, netgear, tdk, and samsung dvd and a new HSF (Thermalright sk6) i ****ed up attaching it to my cpu and fried the chip( the heatsink was slightly off of the processor so it didn;t make proper contact) so i purchased another XP1800+ (at 230 dollars) and made much more care to attach the hsf better. well, when everything was installed in my system i fired it up only to encounter continual BSODs and lockups when running at a 133 buss speed, however when i clock it down to 100, everything runs fine, at first i figured it was my os (98se) so i purchased and installed XP Pro. and i still encountered BSODs(in the form of stop errors, (IRQ_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL_TO) and lockups.
i've switched RAM, video, and unplugged components (DVD player, sound card, nic) and i still encountered the same problems, so i figured my motherboard may have sustained damage when the processor fried, so i purchased the ABIT KR7A-RAID. it didn;t solve the problem either. so i thought my processor may have been defective, so on monday, i purchased an XP2000 and another RAM stick (samsung) and i'm STILL having issues, so if ANYBODY knows what may be causing this please let me know, so i don't have to keep buying new parts that solve nothing.
The machine is running at a 100MHz bus right now, and has been for the past year with no problems, but as soon as i clock up to 133, the trouble starts.

thank you for any help you may be able to provide

SammyBoy

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2001
Well, that IRQ_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL_TO is almost definately a RAM issue. If you search that phrase at MS Knowledge boards, you'll find that it's usually the system RAM or video card that causes those problems. Now, it could also be the cache on the processor, so you can try to disable L2 Cache in the BIOS, but that is for troubleshooting only. You won't be able to do anything else. Also, you could try to raise the Spread Spectrum setting in the BIOS up to 25% or so, as it's possible that something is causing electical interferrence. Really, though, I suspect it's the RAM... if you have both those 256MB sticks in, take one out at a time, place them in differnt slots, etc. When I had these same problems (well, I could get 266MHz FSB without a problem but I'd have random lockups), when I swapped in and out the RAM, I found that my computer refused to boot into XP with one of the sticks... I replaced it with the other, and things worked well until I upgraded to high performance RAM from Mushkin.

Also, make sure to set the Plug and Play OS in the BIOS to no, as that might clear up IRQ problems... umm... otherwise, you can try to get PC2100 RAM from Crucial or Mushkin (small stick, like 128MB) to see if high quality RAM will clear things up.

-SammyBoy

Some day, THG-willing, I shall obtain the coveted "Old Hand" title.

Rubberbband

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2001
Try borrowing a GF4 Ti 4200 from a buddy. Slap it in and test your system. I would bet that the vid card is the problem. I was having similar probs with a Radeon 8500LE and I solved it by getting a GF4. It was probably a bad card but I didn't want to deal with it after troubleshooting it for three days. Give it a shot then you'll know if it's a video card issue.

The Men Behind the GUNS!

<A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=327" target="_new"><b>MY SYSTEM</b></A>

Replica

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2002
I already switched the video card with a geforce 3, and that didn't help. but i think i've found out what the problem is. Not enough power, if i clock it down in 1 MHz increments from 133 it will go a little longer each time and at 125 it is completely stable. so i think i need to upgrade to either a 400 or 450 watt ps