Inspiron 8200 fan

Last response: in Computer Brands
November 29, 2004 7:32:13 PM

My fan has started to make more noise than usual and to
cycle on more often than usual.

Is this a problem? What have others experienced/done about it?

TIA
--

Rex's Mom

More about : inspiron 8200 fan

Anonymous
November 29, 2004 7:34:35 PM

I had (probably) the same prob lem with the 600m. I called, told them fan
was bad, had to go thru a bunch of diagnostics, then was told the fan was
bad. Since it was under warranty, they sent the tech out and replaced the
fan. On the inside of the computer there was a small (about 1'x1/4" ) clump
of lint. I am sure that contributed to the failure. I asked how to keep
that from happening again, and the answer was - you really can't - and it
isn't accessible except to take the whole laptop apart. SO I expect it will
happen again.
Hope this helps

"Rex's Mom" <labsrgreat@invalid.com> wrote in message
> My fan has started to make more noise than usual and to cycle on more
> often than usual.
>
> Is this a problem? What have others experienced/done about it?
>
> TIA
> --
>
> Rex's Mom

Anonymous
November 29, 2004 8:03:48 PM

Thanks - that does help. But..was hoping to avoid called
Tech support. I, too, am still under warranty.

--

Rex's Mom
November 29, 2004 8:20:14 PM

you could periodically blast the fan and air duct clean with canned air...
do this with the system off and from the exhaust end of the duct (the fan
end) to blow out the lint that was pulled into the duct. but failing ball
bearings in these the fans is more likely the source of noise and that is
only solved by a replacement.

"news-server.woh.rr.com" <pliggett@woh.rr.com> wrote in message
>I had (probably) the same prob lem with the 600m. I called, told them fan
>was bad, had to go thru a bunch of diagnostics, then was told the fan was
>bad. Since it was under warranty, they sent the tech out and replaced the
>fan. On the inside of the computer there was a small (about 1'x1/4" )
>clump of lint. I am sure that contributed to the failure. I asked how to
>keep that from happening again, and the answer was - you really can't - and
>it isn't accessible except to take the whole laptop apart. SO I expect it
>will happen again.
> Hope this helps
>
> "Rex's Mom" <labsrgreat@invalid.com> wrote in message
>> My fan has started to make more noise than usual and to cycle on more
>> often than usual.
>>
>> Is this a problem? What have others experienced/done about it?
>>
>> TIA
>> --
>>
>> Rex's Mom

Anonymous
December 9, 2004 8:24:50 PM

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 16:32:13 GMT, Rex's Mom <labsrgreat@invalid.com>
wrote:

>My fan has started to make more noise than usual and to
>cycle on more often than usual.
>
>Is this a problem? What have others experienced/done about it?

Same problem here. Noisy fans -- bad bearings. And I'm putting off
the call to TS just because I'm reluctant to have some ..... person
...... show up here and rip my computer apart. It's a matter of the
problem you know v. the problems that "fixing" it will introduce. I
wonder if fan replacement is do-able by a reasonably-skilled (that
would be me) technician. I build/repair desktops all the time, and
have done some minor disassembly on a couple of notebooks. I
understand enough about notebooks to know that they're nothing to
trifle with. There are often pitfalls in there for the untrained,
particularly when you progress deeper than just replacing memory or a
hard drive.
!