Inspiron 8200 fan

My fan has started to make more noise than usual and to
cycle on more often than usual.

Is this a problem? What have others experienced/done about it?

TIA
--

Rex's Mom
4 answers Last reply

    I had (probably) the same prob lem with the 600m. I called, told them fan
    was bad, had to go thru a bunch of diagnostics, then was told the fan was
    bad. Since it was under warranty, they sent the tech out and replaced the
    fan. On the inside of the computer there was a small (about 1'x1/4" ) clump
    of lint. I am sure that contributed to the failure. I asked how to keep
    that from happening again, and the answer was - you really can't - and it
    isn't accessible except to take the whole laptop apart. SO I expect it will
    happen again.
    Hope this helps

    "Rex's Mom" <labsrgreat@invalid.com> wrote in message
    > My fan has started to make more noise than usual and to cycle on more
    > often than usual.
    >
    > Is this a problem? What have others experienced/done about it?
    >
    > TIA
    > --
    >
    > Rex's Mom

    Thanks - that does help. But..was hoping to avoid called
    Tech support. I, too, am still under warranty.

    --

    Rex's Mom

    you could periodically blast the fan and air duct clean with canned air...
    do this with the system off and from the exhaust end of the duct (the fan
    end) to blow out the lint that was pulled into the duct. but failing ball
    bearings in these the fans is more likely the source of noise and that is
    only solved by a replacement.

    On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 16:32:13 GMT, Rex's Mom <labsrgreat@invalid.com>
    wrote:

    >My fan has started to make more noise than usual and to
    >cycle on more often than usual.
    >
    >Is this a problem? What have others experienced/done about it?

    Same problem here. Noisy fans -- bad bearings. And I'm putting off
    the call to TS just because I'm reluctant to have some ..... person
    ...... show up here and rip my computer apart. It's a matter of the
    problem you know v. the problems that "fixing" it will introduce. I
    wonder if fan replacement is do-able by a reasonably-skilled (that
    would be me) technician. I build/repair desktops all the time, and
    have done some minor disassembly on a couple of notebooks. I
    understand enough about notebooks to know that they're nothing to
    trifle with. There are often pitfalls in there for the untrained,
    particularly when you progress deeper than just replacing memory or a
    hard drive.

Dell Fan Inspiron Computers