Sign in with
Your question

1600+ AGOIA-Y Week 13 Palomino or 1600+ TBRED?

Last response: in CPUs
December 17, 2002 4:19:13 AM

Which one would you guys go for? It's like either a CPU that'll generate more heat but has an good overclocking reputation or an new core processor that will generate less heat but questionable on overclocking?
December 17, 2002 4:57:59 AM

if its revision a, it doesnt over clock worth anything, revision b should be able to go pretty high.

my computer is so fast, it completes an endless loop in less than 4 seconds!
December 17, 2002 5:14:17 AM

Sorry what's the difference in revision? Do you know of any links I can refer to?
I know the stepping core of the TBred will be 0 as the new TBred stepping core 1 only applies to some 2000+ cpus and 2200+ and beyond.
Related resources
December 17, 2002 8:30:55 PM

Id have to say go for the 1600+ AGOIA for your top overclock. The tbreds in the lower ranges should overclock pretty well, regardless of the core. It hit the limit at around the 2200+ but that doesn't mean lower clocked models wouldnt OC well. However, I havent heard as much about them as the 1600+ AGOIA. Have fun.

<font color=blue> If it ain't broke, don't fix it...tweak it.</font color=blue>
December 17, 2002 10:00:21 PM

The tbred didnt come in a XP1600 speed.
The slowest was the 1.5v XP1700+

Of which one has just arrived for me today (XP1700+ AIURA) :smile: :smile: :smile: .

Im planning on running it either at stock speeds and very low voltage for cool operation or overclocking to 1.65v and 166fsb (1833Mhz).
Ill let you know how it goes.

<b><font color=purple>[Rik_]</font color=purple> I wonder how many people have made their own phasechange system?
<font color=blue>[LHGPooBaa]</font color=blue> I get phasechange whenever i eat a hot chillie :lol:  </b>
December 17, 2002 10:11:06 PM

Oh really? Ah okays my mistake. New to AMD actually as I've been sticking to Intel for the longest time. Anyways did you buy it retail? Do you have any clue on the revisions? Not sure but remember seeing something bout two different Athlon XP processors at the same speed but one could do far better than the other. Don't remember what that was all about but found it at www.overclockers.com but seem to be not able to find that article anymore.

Anyways hope to hear from you soon!
December 17, 2002 10:36:25 PM

as far as revision go i know
0.18 micron palomino goes from XP1500+ to XP2100+, with the XP1500+ being fazed out some time ago, leaving the XP1600+ being the one with the best OC potential (Especially latter ones with AGOIA steppings or similar).

Of the tbreds we have the A's and the B's.
People think the TbredA's were poor overclockers, but it depends which one you get. The high end tbredA's couldnt do much at all, but the low end XP1700/1800 could easily do XP2200+ speeds.
As far as i know the only TbredB's are from XP2400+ up, allthough this may change in the future, with lower speeds also becomming B's.

<b><font color=purple>[Rik_]</font color=purple> I wonder how many people have made their own phasechange system?
<font color=blue>[LHGPooBaa]</font color=blue> I get phasechange whenever i eat a hot chillie :lol:  </b>
December 18, 2002 12:45:49 AM

That was more intel with their P4 1.8 and 1.8A.

Though i guess there are still two types of varying speeds out there...
i.e. Xp1700+ (pally) and the XP1700+ (tbred)

December 18, 2002 3:06:42 AM

So basically there are no low clocked speed TBreds? I mean what is the lowest clocked AMD TBred chip? 1700+? Would you go for the XP1600+ with the AGOIA stepping or similar stepping that gets you high OC'ing performance even though it's a Palomino? Or would you go for a TBred core and take the chance that it would yield high overclocks?

Alright if the tbredB is starting at XP2400+ I don't think I would bother looking in to it.
December 18, 2002 3:21:55 AM

The lowest TbredB around is the XP2400... shame it isn't available yet at lower speeds.
The lowest TbredA is the one i just got today. The Xp1700+. It runs at 1.5v stock, so has a fair amount of headroom in it.
Im going to start testing mine tonight... so in a few days i can tell you how "stretchy" the XP1700 tbred is :lol: 
Either the XP1600+ AGOIA or a XP1700+ tbred are good calls.

<font color=blue>[LHGPooBaa]</font color=blue> I get phasechange whenever i eat a hot chillie :lol:  </b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by lhgpoobaa on 12/18/02 00:28 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
December 18, 2002 6:56:51 PM

Brand spanking?
You honestly think GB is THAT much awesome?
Dude, read the facts, it loses to the i850E and EVEN the PE. It is not brand spanking to me.

--
<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&..." target="_new">The THGC Photo Album, send your pics and see others'!</A>
December 18, 2002 10:19:19 PM

Well I'm really looking for the best bang for the buck. But question is, are only the XP1600+ AGOIA the best overclockers? Would you think it be possible if I got an 1800+ TBredA and get overclocking results as good as the XP 1600+ AGOIA? Price wise the XP1600+ to XP1800+ are all at a good value so I wouldn't mind going for any of those CPU's. It's just the overclocking potential is what is holding me back.
December 18, 2002 10:49:29 PM

The XP1600+ agoia probably gives the best band for the buck, though my Tbred XP1700 AIURA would be close behind.

As i found out last nite, this AIURA has one BIG advantage over the XP1600 AGOIA... it comes FACTORY UNLOCKED, will all multipliers up to 12.5x freely available.

so for me it was a simple matter of cranking the fsb to 166, multiplier to 9x and away i go.
Having free multipliers allows alot more flexibility.

In the following days ill keep the FSB fixed at 166 and slowly raise the multiplier and see what this chip gives me.

From reports from other forums, a few people have reached 1900-2000Mhz with air cooling.

December 19, 2002 11:12:21 AM

I finally unlocked my 1600+ palamino last night. It zipped right up to 1750 mhz without a hitch. That' 20 mhz above a 2100+. I'm using a Volcano 7+ at the mid speed setting and getting about a 20 degree delta temperature. It went all the way up to 2100+ without touching the core voltage. For the next step I had to raise it by +.05. I'm testing it for stability now...seems to be doing fine. I really want to make it to 2200+ though.

...ummm...sorry, I forgot what I was going to say...
December 20, 2002 2:16:42 AM

Its official...I'm here and I'm stable...I got my AGOIA 1600 to 1804 Mhz. That's 2200+ speed. I had to raise the core voltage to 1.84 to do it though. Not so happy with that. It's making my case pretty hot. I think I will lower it back dow to 2100+ just so I can returnt o default voltages and lower the fan speeds.

December 20, 2002 2:16:45 AM

Its official...I'm here and I'm stable...I got my AGOIA 1600 to 1804 Mhz. That's 2200+ speed. I had to raise the core voltage to 1.84 to do it though. Not so happy with that. It's making my case pretty hot. I think I will lower it back dow to 2100+ just so I can returnt o default voltages and lower the fan speeds.

December 20, 2002 2:46:55 AM

ahh good to see.
If your case is getting too hot, maybe you should get a better cooler or better case cooling?

December 20, 2002 11:14:04 AM

I've got this huge 120 mm fan that moves enough air throught he case to keep it at ambient no matter how high I OC. At low speeds the fan is whisper quiet (that's why I got it). However, at the 30% OC I have going right now, I have to run it at full or the case heats up. There is a lot of air being moved through the case, and it makes a lot of noise.

December 20, 2002 11:35:24 AM

hey poobaa, does your tbred oc very well. mine is the same stepping as yours and 1666 is all i can get. raising the vcore dousnt seem to help any. it mostly just heats things up.

If you ever stop learning, YOU'ER DEAD!!
December 20, 2002 8:46:35 PM

Yep. Its going well, though i think ive reached the practical limit, taking into accound the warm weather here and my desire for QUIET operation.

1833mhz @ 1.65v is the max ill try for now.

December 21, 2002 6:25:56 PM

lhgpoobaa or someone, can you please help me? I had a freind who ordered a athlon 2100+ XP 266fsb...the I.D. markings on the cpu verify this...yet when I put it in and checked it with cpwin and sisoft, it identifies the processor as a 1500+, 1.33gh, with 200mhz bus and says that it is a palamino (also on chip it has AGOIA0217WPDW) under AX2100DMT3C)...does this 1500+ clock up to 1.7ghz...is that why maybe they are sending it as 2100+ ...it's not what my friend paid for and I know nothing about AGOIA and am not sure what to do but to return it...My friend feels they got something that was worth much less than what was paid for....please...please help with this.....its the weekend and there is no good contact!
December 21, 2002 9:09:33 PM

LOL
this is an exptreemly simple problem.
All motherboards are set to the default speed of 100(200) Mhz for durons.
you need to raise it to the normal 133(266) speed in the BIOS.

very simple to do. read your motherboard manual for FSB speed setting.

December 21, 2002 9:15:00 PM

thanxs LHGPooBaa..........very much ...along with others...view AMD mistaken identity or newbie thread...you all made my day..thank for being here....Merry Xmas
December 22, 2002 5:36:05 AM

Factory unlocked? I'm most likely getting a NForce2 mobo soon so would that take care of any cpu's of being unlocked? I think that's what it was as an advantage for an NForce2 board right?

Someone sent me a message about all the steppings and wondering if you can analyse this and tell me if all that is true?

This is how steppings go in order of bad to good for the Palomino.

Athlon Palomino:
AGKFA < AGKGA < ARKGA < AGLHA < AGNGA < AGOGA < AGOIA < AROIA < AROGA
9 < 4 < K < F < Y

This is how steppings go in order of bad to good for the thoroughbred

Athlon Thoroughbred :
1700 - 1900 AIRCA < AIRGA < RIRGA < RIWGA < AIUGA < AJUGA

Well there has to be some kind of mistake or just that the AIURA stepping was missing somewhere?

If the AJUGA core is really the best Tbred stepping core then I will get that instead since the price isn't that much more than an 1600+ AGOIA as someone is willing to sell there's to me.
December 22, 2002 7:10:03 AM

Yes, That order sounds about right. Of course just becausy you get a AGOIA or something doesn't automatically mean its Super good. Even within batches things vary.

After alot of experimenting ive finally found that my AIURA is stable at 1833Mhz @ 167fsb @ 1.70v. A decent overclock.

What you get really depends on what you want to try... an XP1600+ AGOIA might get you more Mhz... Or it might not.

I Prefer my TbredA as its multipliers are unlocked up to 12.5x. Certainly makes overclocking a breeze.

December 22, 2002 4:21:03 PM

Okay thanks.

Wow I bet you that you can overclock probably a bit more if you increased the voltage but will generate more heat and wear the out cpu more.
December 22, 2002 9:39:07 PM

True, but to do so would DEFINATELY require a faster more powerful fan, and that means more noise. No thank you.
Really dont want to go beyond 1.75v maxx.
Infact during the upcomming summer i may back her off a bit to 1750@1.6v wee bit more gentle on the core.

!