Manoo

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2002
Hi all

Has anybody else had this problem before? I used Arctic Silver 3 on my xp1600 + igloo and my cpu temp was below 40C and mb temp below 30C. Of course, it gets hotter, when I play games, but the average temp started rising over time. Is this normal? Today, when I came home, my computer even had shut off (I have this security feature that it shuts off when the temp is to high, but we are talking 90C here).

What could be happening? Should I consider another case fan? Right now temps are around 44C and 36C. Is this ok or way too high for a non-oc'd xp1600?

Thanks
Manoo

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Well make sure your shutoff temp is set to something sensible like 70 to 80C.
Also 44C is fine, but is that idle or full load?
You also mentioned that you should add some casefans... What do you have in the way of case cooling currently???

And what about the quality of your case? is there roomfor air to get in AND out? is the case jammed in some tight hole? Is the room dusty? A buildup of dust on the heatsink will gradually lead to higher operating temps. A light dust every now and again is benificial.

<b><font color=purple>[Rik_]</font color=purple> I wonder how many people have made their own phasechange system?
<font color=blue>[LHGPooBaa]</font color=blue> I get phasechange whenever i eat a hot chillie :lol: </b>

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
Don't worry about temp. unless you are facing stability issues. Your CPU temp. is fine. In fact, if you have no stabiliy problem, then 70C is fine,too!

Let us know <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=25703#25703" target="_new"> What File compression format you use? </A>

LtBlue14

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2002
the problem is that his computer is shutting off, due to heat problems according to him

--------------

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=faq&notfound=1&code=1" target="_new">mubla otohp eht ni ecaf ruoy teg</A>

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
weather starting to warm up? as temp of the room goes up, the temp of your computer will too. : )

my computer is so fast, it completes an endless loop in less than 4 seconds!

Manoo

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2002
44C is full load, but it used to be 42C constantly. Just after some time, the temp started to rise. The shutoff mentioned could have been due to a power shortage. But I had several shutoffs after my first try, because I put my Igloo 2410 Pro (Designed for XP2600+, C/W=0.35, Speed 4500 +- 10%, Noise 35) on wrong. It was to the left (<--Noob!).

Manoo

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2002
I did have some stability issues, that at first never appeared, but it seems, after my oc-tries, they even appear when I run at stock speed. (xp1600+ on a7n8x, 1 stick corsair 2100 (I know! (now!)))

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
eeeekkks.
Thats NOT good.
if errors persist when you dont overclock there is a chance that you have slightly damaged something!

I suggest you
A. run MEMTEST86, see if your ram is ok
then
B. run prime95 and its 'torture test' to see if your CPU is ok.

<b><font color=purple>[Rik_]</font color=purple> I wonder how many people have made their own phasechange system?
<font color=blue>[LHGPooBaa]</font color=blue> I get phasechange whenever i eat a hot chillie :lol: </b>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
LOL of course you should take it into consideration.
Your case and cpu temp are not absolutes, rather they depend on the ambient room temp as well. If the room temp goes up, so to does your system.

if you get a little handheld thermometer and take some reading you will find that cpu temp scales approx linearly with room temp.