I'll start with this. But first want to say I need to decide on and purchase something if possible, within the next day or two. My laptop was stolen and I have some urgent projects I need to continue... so any quick response is most appreciated and I will most certainly remember your help!
1. What is your budget?
£200-350 or so. But I'm in environments where loss or theft is possible. Hoping to make the netbook light so I can take it with me everywhere - even the toilet
I would prefer to buy second hand actually, but I need to know what to search for first
2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
I do want a big screen as I plan on multi tasking and editing pictures, doing -basic- video editing and such. the acer 11" seemed like a decent idea but some said the c50 processor was slower than advertised
3. What screen resolution do you want?
Unsure what this means but - I want it to be good enough to edit photos/video
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
5. How much battery life do you need?
As long as possible really given the environments (being a journalist / blogger in squatting and protest environments sometimes without electricity access, or on trains / travels)
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
not too fussed about games, actually. Bit of CS might be nice though. Maybe Warcraft 3. Low graphics though
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
mentioned this. Basic (Acoustic) sound recording from probably only one or two sources. Photo and Video editing (nothing majorly intense, PS essentials is fine)
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
As much as possible again. Being on the go and using the netbook and being unlikely to have desktop access means high memory is essential
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
Gumtree.co.uk - Tesco.com (mum gets discount, sometimes it works out cheaper) Amazon.co.uk, ebuyer.co.uk
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
At least 2-3 years
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
don't know that I need one - could get external right? Not much of a dvd burner anyway
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I don't know who I like but I don't like Packard Bell, HP, Dell Or Toshiba. Just bad experiences with all of them. For example my last toshiba laptop had a really dark screen even on the brightest setting, photos did not look right
13. What country do you live in?
England / London
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
Weight is important to me as I'm going to be mobile a lot of the time. One reason it needs to be light is I'm usually carrying an instrument of some kind or on my bike with sleeping bags/rucksacks, etc etc.