Era of the PC 'coming to a close'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archean

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
PCs are going the way of typewriters, vinyl records and vacuum tubes, one of the engineers who worked on the original machine has said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14490709

I tend to agree with what MS is saying that we are heading into a PC+ era, where people will have PCs along with devices like tablets etc. What do you guys think?

* By the way I don't think tablets at the moment are good enough for a power user to do intensive stuff, for light things like emails / casual web surfing it is another story.

Archean

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
Exactly, that is why I said they are not good enough. I don't think PCs will go away for a long time, just that rest of the other stuff come into picture for other reasons.

wanamingo

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011
Businesses will always use PCs. Maybe the casual home user will eventually move towards a fully tablet home, but until you get the power, storage, and versatility of a regular desktop tablets will just be a mobile extension of what you've got at home.

Could you imagine a business trying to repair a tablet? For those of you in IT you know how often some silly part goes in a computer like NIC, MOBO, HD, and you can swap them out in a matter of minutes. Now imagine everyone in your company has a tablet. Every time something broke you would be replacing tablets left and right.

If anyone in our company needs to go into the field we have Tough books (AKA an indestructible brick). No one in their right mind would trust their business with a tablet.

Status
Not open for further replies.