Where to put temp sensor?

fincoop

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2002
My ThermalTake Xaser case has a wire with a temp sensor on the end of it. I'd like to use it to measure my CPU temp so I can see it on the front of the case. I'm a bit wary of having the sensor btwn the HSF and CPU, I'm wondering where else would be acceptable to install it.

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
You'll be able to monitor the CPU temp in software - either in the BIOS or with a program like Motherboard Monitor.

Do <font color=red><b><i>NOT</i></b></font color=red> place it between the CPU and HSF. They need to have a good contact or the heat transfer won't work, and you'll probably fry the chip.

You could put it in the case near the top, so you can monitor the ambient temperature in the case, but as you can usually see the mobo temperature in the BIOS/Other software I can't see it being that useful.

HTH

---
:smile: :tongue: :smile:

tuesday630

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2002
As long as the sensor is not on between the die and the HSF and does not cause the HSF surface to lose any connections with the die, all should be fine. Most sensors are designed to be thin enough to fit between the CPU and the HSF outside the die area of the CPU.

Stiffler

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2001
depends what sort of processor you refer to ? If its a PIV there is no parts of the processor that do not sit flush with the heatsink. An AMD CPU however has much more surface area that doesn't contact the heatsink than does !

But all that pointlessness aside I personally would use the thermal diode on the back of your Graphics card, as ambient case, and CPU temps should all be available via the BIOS and a program like Motherboard Monitor in windows. All in all its not that useful unless there is a piece of hardware you are stressing specifically, and you would like to keep trace of whether or not you are overworking it !

Tim

<font color=blue>Its winter now... So how come my CPU temp is still </font color=blue><b><font color=red>55C</font color=red></b>

fincoop

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2002
That's an excellent idea! I was more concerned about seeing the CPU temp while playing a game or during the bootup, but better to have some way to measure temp than none at all.

Thanks!