Comments/Suggestions for this new comp

DrNick_

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2002
Hi all, I was wondering what suggestions you could offer for this high-end AMD system. Any comments would be appreciated; none of the components have been bought yet, but I will probably buy soon.

Mobo: ASUS A7N8X
CPU: Athlon XP 2800+ 333MHz FSB (OEM)
CPU Fan: Volcano 9
Pwr Supply: Antec 430W Power Supply
RAM: 1 GB Corsair XMS PC-3500 C2

HD: 2 WD 80GB 8MB cache in RAID-0

Video Card: ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
Monitor: Viewsonic P95F+ 19" PerfectFlat CRT

CD RW: Lite On 48x24x48 CDRW
DVD: Lite-On 16x DVD

Case: Thermaltake Xaser II A5000

The price doesnt matter too much, but I'm not too sure about spending so much on the case; I'm not very knowledgeable about them (cases, that is). At first, I was thinking about Ahanix, but I really don't know. I may do some minor overclocking, and I certainly like the cooling options on Thermaltake's cases.
With mouse, k/b, OS, and cables, this comes to $ 2,092.74 at newegg (minus monitor, which is out of stock). I was a bit disappointed at the price; I'm still not convinced about putting this together myself or buying from buyxg.com or cyberpowersystem.com , as they now have the Asus board, and nice prices.

halkebul

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2002
Hello. The Asus A7N8X deluxe is not capable of IDE RAID (SATA raid only) without converters (will cost you extra). RAID can make your setup very complicated so best to stick with one Western Digital Special Edition Hard drive. As for the CPU/Motherboard/Memory/Heatsink+Fan, <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=528879#528879" target="_new">here's a similar situation</A>. The rest of your product choices are very solid.

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=527833#527833" target="_new">Official Asus A7N8X thread</A>

<i>It's your world kid!!!</i>

HN001

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2002
Hello Halkebul

I really do like the "hello" word that you are using on every reply you make!!! Cool!!!
Happy Holidays!

halkebul

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2002
Thanx. I don't usually start giving suggestions to others without a formal word of introduction. Oh, well. Guess that's just me. To each his/her own.

<i>It's your world kid!!!</i>