Inspiron 8600 DVD/CD Drive Replacement

Hello,

I purchased a replacement DVD/CD burner for my 8600. The drive did not come
installed in the drive module. I attempted to remove the drive module from
the original drive and attach it to the new drive but I couldn't get it
apart from the old drive and I was afraid to force it apart. Has anyone
tried this?And is it possible to purchase a new drive module from Dell?

--
Thanks,
Tony

There is one hidden screw which makes this a bit tricky to figure out.

Take out all the visible screws. Remember where they came from since some
are different sizes.

Pull out the latch. Look from the side and you will see one screw. Remove
that and the drive caddy pulls apart like it was hinged (hold it
upside-down).

Bill Joy wrote:
> There is one hidden screw which makes this a bit tricky to figure out.
>
> Take out all the visible screws. Remember where they came from since
> some are different sizes.
>
> Pull out the latch. Look from the side and you will see one screw. Remove
> that and the drive caddy pulls apart like it was hinged (hold
> it upside-down).

Thanks Bill, I found the hidden screw. You're right about it being hidden.
I got the new drive installed. Had to trim a section of the front bezel in
order
to get the latch installed but it's working ok.

Thanks again,
Tony