Host MP Game with mn-700

Neo

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2003

Hello :)

I have the MN-700 wireless router. I want to host a
mutiplayer game for my friends to connect too. I gave them
my ip, but nothing seem to work. I tried enabling the DMZ
in the settings and I also turned off the firewall in the
router settings. Do you need to restart for these settings
to work?
Also It shows me 2 IP's. The host computer has one, then
when you go to the options, it has a LAN ip as well. Do I
need to open ports for this?

Any help would be awesome :)

Thanks

Hi,

When you give your friend's your IP address do you give them your 'Internet'
IP address or your LAN one?
Also check if you have a firewall on your computer turned on such as the
built-in one that's with Windows XP.

--
Gary Tsang
Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User

"Neo" <nameisinuse@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello :)
>
> I have the MN-700 wireless router. I want to host a
> mutiplayer game for my friends to connect too. I gave them
> my ip, but nothing seem to work. I tried enabling the DMZ
> in the settings and I also turned off the firewall in the
> router settings. Do you need to restart for these settings
> to work?
> Also It shows me 2 IP's. The host computer has one, then
> when you go to the options, it has a LAN ip as well. Do I
> need to open ports for this?
>
> Any help would be awesome :)
>
> Thanks

Hi,

I am not sure which IP I am giving them. I usually go to
the command Prompt and type ipconfig, then give them that
IP address. Yes the xp firewall is turned off. I don't
have any other firewalls installed. I do keep the router
firewall on, but I turned it off before I set up the server.

Hi,

That IP address that you find from ipconfig is your private LAN IP address.
You'll have to give them your WAN IP address, which can be found by logging
into the Base Station Management Tool at http://192.168.2.1

and at the main page it'll show WAN IP address: and the ip address.
The IP address that you were previously giving out probably started off like
192.168.2.X.

Hope this helps.
--

> Hi,
>
> I am not sure which IP I am giving them. I usually go to
> the command Prompt and type ipconfig, then give them that
> IP address. Yes the xp firewall is turned off. I don't
> have any other firewalls installed. I do keep the router
> firewall on, but I turned it off before I set up the server.

That's exactly right, it was a 192.168.2 number. But my
wan IP changes right. So I would have to give them the ip
for every session? Also by giving them the wan IP should I
still enable the DMZ and turn off the Firewall or should it
work fine to connect directly to the IP?

Thanks a lot for your help :)

You should not have to (1) place your machine in a DMZ, that's just opening
it all up to the Internet or (2) disable your firewall. On the router, you
need to forward certain ports (depending on the game) to the machine IP
where the game is actually being hosted.

There are a couple things here. First, you need to let the other players
know your public IP address (the one from your ISP) to access your router.
Second, you need to tell the router what to do with requests for the
required ports. That is, which machine IP (the LAN IP of 192.168.2.*)
actually has the game on it.

From there, you need to set it up for either persistent port forwarding or
application triggered forwarding, depending on the requirements of the game.
There's a whole lot of information, including various game ports needed,
here: http://www.portforward.com/cports.htm
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

> That's exactly right, it was a 192.168.2 number. But my
> wan IP changes right. So I would have to give them the ip
> for every session? Also by giving them the wan IP should I
> still enable the DMZ and turn off the Firewall or should it
> work fine to connect directly to the IP?
>
> Thanks a lot for your help :)

Neo

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2003

Okay thanks Chris, I am pretty sure I know what you mean, I
just need to try it out. I know my friend just dumps his
router in the DMZ and then everything is fine. I will
check to see what ports the game runs on.

Thanks :)

port forwarding or