[350D] PictBridge compatibility

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,alt.comp.periphs.dcameras.canon (More info?)

I have the aforementioned camera and I have just purchased a PiXMA 8500.
Wishing to test the PB capability, I hooked my 350D up to the printer using
the cable that was supplied with the camera. The printer appeared to
recognise the camera (the printer's LED flashed once, just like the manual
states it's supposed to), and I attempted to select print from the controls
on the camera but, although I could specify the type of print and whether I
wanted the date and shot number on the image, the print icon on the camera's
LED screen wasn't available. I have read several FM, the one supplied with
the printer, the one supplied with the camera and the PDF user's guide on
the PiXMA installation CD.

Canon's website lists the PiXMA as being able to talk to the 350D and vice
versa, but it isn't happening.

Does anyone know of a marriage guidance counsellor for printers and cameras?

Mind you, I've had Epson software that won't recognise my Perfection 4990,
but Canon software that will, so I suppose anything's possible.

Ironically, I was given a little PictureMate for Christmas and they speak to
each other.

Could someone please tell me why a Canon camera won't talk to a Canon
printer, but it will t an Epson?

The camera is talking to the computer and I can download images directly
from the CF card (which is what I am doing at the moment).

I'm incredibly confused.

I ummed and arred about whether to post this here or
alt.comp.periph.printers, but decided this was probably the better group.

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,alt.comp.periphs.dcameras.canon (More info?)

Some cameras have two USB modes. One is intended for camera to PC USB
connection, and the other for camera to printer. It seems that the camera
has a control function in the camera to printer mode. I don't know what the
menu options are labelled on your camera.

>I have the aforementioned camera and I have just purchased a PiXMA 8500.
>Wishing to test the PB capability, I hooked my 350D up to the printer using
>the cable that was supplied with the camera. The printer appeared to
>recognise the camera (the printer's LED flashed once, just like the manual
>states it's supposed to), and I attempted to select print from the controls
>on the camera but, although I could specify the type of print and whether I
>wanted the date and shot number on the image, the print icon on the
>camera's LED screen wasn't available. I have read several FM, the one
>supplied with the printer, the one supplied with the camera and the PDF
>user's guide on the PiXMA installation CD.
>
> Canon's website lists the PiXMA as being able to talk to the 350D and vice
> versa, but it isn't happening.
>
> Does anyone know of a marriage guidance counsellor for printers and
> cameras?
>
> Mind you, I've had Epson software that won't recognise my Perfection 4990,
> but Canon software that will, so I suppose anything's possible.
>
> Ironically, I was given a little PictureMate for Christmas and they speak
> to each other.
>
> Could someone please tell me why a Canon camera won't talk to a Canon
> printer, but it will t an Epson?
>
> The camera is talking to the computer and I can download images directly
> from the CF card (which is what I am doing at the moment).
>
> I'm incredibly confused.
>
> I ummed and arred about whether to post this here or
> alt.comp.periph.printers, but decided this was probably the better group.
> --
> In memory of MS MVP Alex Nichol: http://www.dts-l.org/

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,alt.comp.periphs.dcameras.canon (More info?)

This would make sense. In one more the camera has to act like a slave and in
the printer mode it would have to act like a master. (probably)

"Chuck" <cdkuder@nspmmsn.com> wrote in message
> Some cameras have two USB modes. One is intended for camera to PC USB
> connection, and the other for camera to printer. It seems that the camera
> has a control function in the camera to printer mode. I don't know what
the
> menu options are labelled on your camera.
>
> "Miss Perspicacia Tick" <test@test.com> wrote in message
> >I have the aforementioned camera and I have just purchased a PiXMA 8500.
> >Wishing to test the PB capability, I hooked my 350D up to the printer
using
> >the cable that was supplied with the camera. The printer appeared to
> >recognise the camera (the printer's LED flashed once, just like the
manual
> >states it's supposed to), and I attempted to select print from the
controls
> >on the camera but, although I could specify the type of print and whether
> >wanted the date and shot number on the image, the print icon on the
> >camera's LED screen wasn't available. I have read several FM, the one
> >supplied with the printer, the one supplied with the camera and the PDF
> >user's guide on the PiXMA installation CD.
> >
> > Canon's website lists the PiXMA as being able to talk to the 350D and
vice
> > versa, but it isn't happening.
> >
> > Does anyone know of a marriage guidance counsellor for printers and
> > cameras?
> >
> > Mind you, I've had Epson software that won't recognise my Perfection
4990,
> > but Canon software that will, so I suppose anything's possible.
> >
> > Ironically, I was given a little PictureMate for Christmas and they
speak
> > to each other.
> >
> > Could someone please tell me why a Canon camera won't talk to a Canon
> > printer, but it will t an Epson?
> >
> > The camera is talking to the computer and I can download images directly
> > from the CF card (which is what I am doing at the moment).
> >
> > I'm incredibly confused.
> >
> > I ummed and arred about whether to post this here or
> > alt.comp.periph.printers, but decided this was probably the better
group.
> > --
> > In memory of MS MVP Alex Nichol: http://www.dts-l.org/

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,alt.comp.periphs.dcameras.canon (More info?)

My epson printer has two USB ports. One is intended for use with the usual
PC. The other will handle a USB drive or a camera. Depending on how the
camera's USB mode is set, it can be connected to either one or the other.
Rather than go to all the trouble of finding the camera's usb cable, and
working thru the camera's small LCD screen, I usually just remove the XD
memory card and plug it into the printer. Then I can either print the
pictures and an index from the printer control panel, or just copy the
pictures to a PC, and use my choice of photo editor and printing options.

"John P Bengi" <JBengi(spam)@(spam)yahoo,com> wrote in message
> This would make sense. In one more the camera has to act like a slave and
> in
> the printer mode it would have to act like a master. (probably)
>
> "Chuck" <cdkuder@nspmmsn.com> wrote in message
>> Some cameras have two USB modes. One is intended for camera to PC USB
>> connection, and the other for camera to printer. It seems that the
>> camera
>> has a control function in the camera to printer mode. I don't know what
> the
>> menu options are labelled on your camera.
>>
>> "Miss Perspicacia Tick" <test@test.com> wrote in message
>> >I have the aforementioned camera and I have just purchased a PiXMA 8500.
>> >Wishing to test the PB capability, I hooked my 350D up to the printer
> using
>> >the cable that was supplied with the camera. The printer appeared to
>> >recognise the camera (the printer's LED flashed once, just like the
> manual
>> >states it's supposed to), and I attempted to select print from the
> controls
>> >on the camera but, although I could specify the type of print and
>> >whether
>> >wanted the date and shot number on the image, the print icon on the
>> >camera's LED screen wasn't available. I have read several FM, the one
>> >supplied with the printer, the one supplied with the camera and the PDF
>> >user's guide on the PiXMA installation CD.
>> >
>> > Canon's website lists the PiXMA as being able to talk to the 350D and
> vice
>> > versa, but it isn't happening.
>> >
>> > Does anyone know of a marriage guidance counsellor for printers and
>> > cameras?
>> >
>> > Mind you, I've had Epson software that won't recognise my Perfection
> 4990,
>> > but Canon software that will, so I suppose anything's possible.
>> >
>> > Ironically, I was given a little PictureMate for Christmas and they
> speak
>> > to each other.
>> >
>> > Could someone please tell me why a Canon camera won't talk to a Canon
>> > printer, but it will t an Epson?
>> >
>> > The camera is talking to the computer and I can download images
>> > directly
>> > from the CF card (which is what I am doing at the moment).
>> >
>> > I'm incredibly confused.
>> >
>> > I ummed and arred about whether to post this here or
>> > alt.comp.periph.printers, but decided this was probably the better
> group.
>> > --
>> > In memory of MS MVP Alex Nichol: http://www.dts-l.org/

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,alt.comp.periphs.dcameras.canon (More info?)

I hope this helps; I have a 350D with an i9950 (The A3+ version of what
effectivly is the PiXMA 8500). You should ensure that the camer is set up to
talk to a printer instead of a PC (which is the default, stopping you
talking to the printer). This is done as follows:

1) Switch on the camera.
2) Press MENU
3) Select "SET-UP 2" with the arrow keys (Spanner & Hammer 2, the last menu
tabbed page)
4) Select "Communication" with the arrow keys
5) Press SET
6) Select "Print/PTP" with the arrow keys
7) Press SET
8) Press Menu
9) Switch OFF the camera

Then connect the supplied USB cable to the camera and the (possiably front)
USB input port on the printer, then switch on both the printer and the
camera.
Select a picture to print by the view back button and cursor keys.

At this point your upper LCD "back light" button should be glowing blue (and
is now the "instant print" button that will tigger the printing to start).
You should also have the print icon and setting that may be adjusted (before
printing) by pressing the SET button.

Good luck.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,alt.comp.periphs.dcameras.canon (More info?)

I would never use the direct print technique on a printer anyway. I used to
print the thumbnails that way but can't be bothered anymore. Too many to
log. I only print the ones I want after I check them out in detail.

Useless toy for me.

> My epson printer has two USB ports. One is intended for use with the usual
> PC. The other will handle a USB drive or a camera. Depending on how the
> camera's USB mode is set, it can be connected to either one or the other.
> Rather than go to all the trouble of finding the camera's usb cable, and
> working thru the camera's small LCD screen, I usually just remove the XD
> memory card and plug it into the printer. Then I can either print the
> pictures and an index from the printer control panel, or just copy the
> pictures to a PC, and use my choice of photo editor and printing options.
>
> "John P Bengi" <JBengi(spam)@(spam)yahoo,com> wrote in message
> > This would make sense. In one more the camera has to act like a slave
and
> > in
> > the printer mode it would have to act like a master. (probably)
> >
> > "Chuck" <cdkuder@nspmmsn.com> wrote in message
> >> Some cameras have two USB modes. One is intended for camera to PC USB
> >> connection, and the other for camera to printer. It seems that the
> >> camera
> >> has a control function in the camera to printer mode. I don't know
what
> > the
> >> menu options are labelled on your camera.
> >>
> >> "Miss Perspicacia Tick" <test@test.com> wrote in message
> > using
> > manual
> > controls
PDF

> > vice

> > 4990,

> > speak

> > group.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,alt.comp.periphs.dcameras.canon (More info?)

On my 300D (digital Rebel), I have to go into the setup, and set the
communication from "normal" to "PTP".