CR 1 [Rogues Gallery] Orc Cavalry Barbarian 1

Not sure if this shouldn't be EL 3 with the warhorse. I made this one
up based on the 2 handed lance thread, to try submitting something to
wiki, and try out the new DMG II stat block (I've probably done it
wrong, as I haven't read how It's supposed to be used) It's at
http://d20npcs.wikicities.com/wiki/Orc_Cavalry_Barbarian_1
I wouldn't recommend using this against a level 1 party. Maybe a level
3 party. Enjoy...

- Justisaur

Orc Calvalry Barbarian 1 CR1
Orc Barbarian 1
Usually Chaotic Evil Medium Humanoid (Orc)
Init +1; Senses Listen +0, Spot +0
Common, Orc

AC 16 (14 Raging), touch 11, flat-footed 15
hp 14 (16 Raging) (1d12 HD)
Fort +4 (+6 Rage) , Ref +1, Will +0 (+2 Rage)

Spd 30 ft. (6 squares)
Melee: MW Lance, Greataxe, or Armor Spike
Ranged: Javelin
Base Atk +1; Grp +5 (+7 Rage)
Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 (10w lance) ft.
Atk Options: PA MW Lance (2 handed) Charge +7 2d8+16 (Rage +9 2d8+20)
x2, AC 10 (8 Rage); PA Lance (2 handed) +5 d8+8 (Rage +7 d8+10) x2; PA
Great Axe +4 d12+8 (Rage +6 d12+10) x3, Javelin +2 d6+4 (Rage d6+6)
(w/Poison DC 11);
Combat Gear: Masterwork Lance, Chain Mail with Armor Spike
Special Actions: Rage 1x day 6 rounds.

Abilities Str 19 (23 Rage), Dex 13, Con 14 (18 Rage), Int 8, Wis 10,
Cha 6
Feats: Power Attack
Skills Ride +7, Handle Animal +2, Survival +4
Possessions 4pp, 5gp, Masterwork Lance, Chain Mail with Armor Spikes, 5
Javelins, Great Axe, Poison: Black Adder Venom, Light Warhorse w/
Military Saddle & Leather Barding

Justisaur <justisaur@gmail.com> wrote:
>Possessions 4pp, 5gp, Masterwork Lance, Chain Mail with Armor Spikes, 5
>Javelins, Great Axe, Poison: Black Adder Venom, Light Warhorse w/
>Military Saddle & Leather Barding

Wow, this first level guy has a _lot_ of wealth...

Donald

Donald Tsang wrote:
> Justisaur <justisaur@gmail.com> wrote:
> >Possessions 4pp, 5gp, Masterwork Lance, Chain Mail with Armor Spikes, 5
> >Javelins, Great Axe, Poison: Black Adder Venom, Light Warhorse w/
> >Military Saddle & Leather Barding
>
> Wow, this first level guy has a _lot_ of wealth...

It's standard NPC gear for 1st lv in the DMG, 900 gp. Actually I
should probably halve or even third the money, since it isn't gear and
wouldn't need to be sold. I'll go with 1/3 since 1/3 of 900 is 300
which is standard treasure for CR1. So consider the money to be 1pp
5gp. Or could give him some standard nomad gear, Saddle Bags, tent,
knife, flint & tinder, whatever else a nomad might have.

Thematically I think a Falchion and a Composite Shortbow would be more
appropriate than the Greataxe & Javelins (mechanically I think the
greataxe & javelins are superior, and cost less). Might consider
dropping the poison to trade those two out.

- Justisaur

Matt Frisch wrote:
> On 11 Aug 2005 10:48:48 -0700, "Justisaur" <justisaur@gmail.com> scribed
> into the ether:
>

> >Donald Tsang wrote:
> >>
> >> Wow, this first level guy has a _lot_ of wealth...
> >
> >It's standard NPC gear for 1st lv in the DMG, 900 gp. Actually I
> >should probably halve or even third the money, since it isn't gear and
> >wouldn't need to be sold. I'll go with 1/3 since 1/3 of 900 is 300
> >which is standard treasure for CR1. So consider the money to be 1pp
> >5gp. Or could give him some standard nomad gear, Saddle Bags, tent,
> >knife, flint & tinder, whatever else a nomad might have.
> >
> >Thematically I think a Falchion and a Composite Shortbow would be more
> >appropriate than the Greataxe & Javelins (mechanically I think the
> >greataxe & javelins are superior, and cost less).
>
> A greataxe would be a bit of a pain to use while mounted. Falchion too.
> Scimitar might be better. 1 handed for use while mounted, but able to be
> two-handed for the strength boost when on foot. Javelins on horseback are
> extremely fitting. A composite shortbow might be more effective, but you'd
> have to consider where he got it. Is his culture advanced enough to make
> it, or did he steal it?

Going off what I imagine the Orcs to be like, the mongols, they used
shortbows from horseback quite effectively. They didn't have much
technology and were able to make bows for everyone. I don't think it's
a technology problem. I could go off on a rant here about how bows are
terribly misrepresented by D&D, but I won't.

It's quite possible to use a 2 handed weapon from horseback, I agree a
scimitar would probably be easier to use, but Orcs seem to be depicted
with large 2 handed weapons all the time. I just can't see him using a
shield, and he's certainly not a 2 weapon fighter.

- Justisaur.

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 00:55:08 +0000 (UTC), tsang@soda.csua.berkeley.edu
(Donald Tsang) carved upon a tablet of ether:

> Justisaur <justisaur@gmail.com> wrote:
> >Possessions 4pp, 5gp, Masterwork Lance, Chain Mail with Armor Spikes, 5
> >Javelins, Great Axe, Poison: Black Adder Venom, Light Warhorse w/
> >Military Saddle & Leather Barding
>
> Wow, this first level guy has a _lot_ of wealth...

1st level NPCs get 900gp, remember.

--
Rupert Boleyn <rboleyn@paradise.net.nz>
should be free."

On 11 Aug 2005 10:48:48 -0700, "Justisaur" <justisaur@gmail.com> scribed
into the ether:

>Donald Tsang wrote:
>> Justisaur <justisaur@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >Possessions 4pp, 5gp, Masterwork Lance, Chain Mail with Armor Spikes, 5
>> >Javelins, Great Axe, Poison: Black Adder Venom, Light Warhorse w/
>> >Military Saddle & Leather Barding
>>
>> Wow, this first level guy has a _lot_ of wealth...
>
>It's standard NPC gear for 1st lv in the DMG, 900 gp. Actually I
>should probably halve or even third the money, since it isn't gear and
>wouldn't need to be sold. I'll go with 1/3 since 1/3 of 900 is 300
>which is standard treasure for CR1. So consider the money to be 1pp
>5gp. Or could give him some standard nomad gear, Saddle Bags, tent,
>knife, flint & tinder, whatever else a nomad might have.
>
>Thematically I think a Falchion and a Composite Shortbow would be more
>appropriate than the Greataxe & Javelins (mechanically I think the
>greataxe & javelins are superior, and cost less).

A greataxe would be a bit of a pain to use while mounted. Falchion too.
Scimitar might be better. 1 handed for use while mounted, but able to be
two-handed for the strength boost when on foot. Javelins on horseback are
extremely fitting. A composite shortbow might be more effective, but you'd
have to consider where he got it. Is his culture advanced enough to make
it, or did he steal it?

On 11 Aug 2005 12:27:20 -0700, "Justisaur" <justisaur@gmail.com> scribed
into the ether:

>Matt Frisch wrote:
>> On 11 Aug 2005 10:48:48 -0700, "Justisaur" <justisaur@gmail.com> scribed
>> into the ether:

>> >It's standard NPC gear for 1st lv in the DMG, 900 gp. Actually I
>> >should probably halve or even third the money, since it isn't gear and
>> >wouldn't need to be sold. I'll go with 1/3 since 1/3 of 900 is 300
>> >which is standard treasure for CR1. So consider the money to be 1pp
>> >5gp. Or could give him some standard nomad gear, Saddle Bags, tent,
>> >knife, flint & tinder, whatever else a nomad might have.
>> >
>> >Thematically I think a Falchion and a Composite Shortbow would be more
>> >appropriate than the Greataxe & Javelins (mechanically I think the
>> >greataxe & javelins are superior, and cost less).
>>
>> A greataxe would be a bit of a pain to use while mounted. Falchion too.
>> Scimitar might be better. 1 handed for use while mounted, but able to be
>> two-handed for the strength boost when on foot. Javelins on horseback are
>> extremely fitting. A composite shortbow might be more effective, but you'd
>> have to consider where he got it. Is his culture advanced enough to make
>> it, or did he steal it?
>
>Going off what I imagine the Orcs to be like, the mongols, they used
>shortbows from horseback quite effectively. They didn't have much
>technology and were able to make bows for everyone.

Well, just making a bow isn't too technically challenging, but a composite
bow is more than just a springy stick and some string. Not quite to the
level of a compound bow of course, but more difficult than a regular bow.

>It's quite possible to use a 2 handed weapon from horseback,

Possible, but...ick. The sweeping strokes of a greataxe would be tough to
get your back into while avoiding cutting off your own mount's head, or
your leg.

>I agree a
>scimitar would probably be easier to use, but Orcs seem to be depicted
>with large 2 handed weapons all the time.

They are also usually depicted as unmounted :p

Spinner

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2002

> Orc Calvalry Barbarian 1 CR1

Very nice. I ran some big skirmishes (mass combat) recently and this kind
of guy would've done really well! Good hit points and big damage on the
charge (I had some very effective Ftr2 troopers with Spirited Charge for
massive damage).

My question is: how much did the orc encumber the horse? I ask this
because I found myself surprised when designing troops how easy it was for
the average human to encumber a horse -- and orcs are way heavier.

Spinner

Spinner wrote:
> > Orc Calvalry Barbarian 1 CR1
>
> Very nice. I ran some big skirmishes (mass combat) recently and this kind
> of guy would've done really well! Good hit points and big damage on the
> charge (I had some very effective Ftr2 troopers with Spirited Charge for
> massive damage).
>
> My question is: how much did the orc encumber the horse? I ask this
> because I found myself surprised when designing troops how easy it was for
> the average human to encumber a horse -- and orcs are way heavier.

Ah I didn't go into stats for the horse. I didn't think of that.
Let's see...
According to SRD an average adult male Orc weighs 210 lbs. Strangely a
Half-Orc averages 241 lbs according to the PHB (unless my math is off),
not sure what's going on there... Anyway 210 is barely still in a
light load for a light warhorse, if we add equipment though - which
comes out to 142 if I have it right, so 352, which is in the mid range
for a medium load, max being 460. Since a light warhorse can normally
move 60' I belive that brings it down to 40'. Since the max light load
for a light warhorse is 230, the only way we can get that movement back
would be to cary no armor or equipment, just have the lance, and ride
bareback. If we went to a heavy warhorse, it's a little better, but
max light load is 300, so with current equipment would still be a
medium load.

Oddly my Kobold almost encumbers my ridding dog, wearing hardly
anything as well.

- Justisaur

Spinner

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2002

> Let's see...
> According to SRD an average adult male Orc weighs 210 lbs. Strangely a
> Half-Orc averages 241 lbs according to the PHB (unless my math is off),
> not sure what's going on there... Anyway 210 is barely still in a
> light load for a light warhorse, if we add equipment though - which
> comes out to 142 if I have it right, so 352, which is in the mid range
> for a medium load, max being 460. Since a light warhorse can normally
> move 60' I belive that brings it down to 40'. Since the max light load
> for a light warhorse is 230, the only way we can get that movement back
> would be to cary no armor or equipment, just have the lance, and ride
> bareback. If we went to a heavy warhorse, it's a little better, but
> max light load is 300, so with current equipment would still be a
> medium load.

I paid close attention to this while making up various human cavalry. Don't
forget that saddles and saddlebags are quite heavy as well. Only the most
lightly equipped humans could go 60 on a light warhorse. Anyone with
anything heavy moves faster and is better off on the slightly more expensive
but kick-ass heavy warhorse -- so that's what the majority have.

Half-orcs are incredibly heavy (and orcs should be too -- what's with that?)
and will want heavy warhorses or rhinos or whatever.

> Oddly my Kobold almost encumbers my ridding dog, wearing hardly
> anything as well.

You know, I like that -- the riding dogs need some toning down (although I
thought they had better carrying capacity even than the warpony -- which
doesn't seem right). I like overall that only certain light characters can
ride fast on light horses -- makes you watch your encumbrance and make
interesting strategic decisions (I've done lots of work on designing various
troops..)

Spinner

Mouse

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2003

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 09:22:08 -0400, "Spinner" <bprentic@uwo.ca> raised
a finger to the sky and proclaimed:

>Half-orcs are incredibly heavy (and orcs should be too -- what's with that?)

Synergy bonus to Weight.

--
Either way, I hate you Count Chocula, if I didn't already.
- Drifter Bob, rec.games.frp.dnd

TRENDING THREADS