Clawhammer, what OS will it use?

Booky

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2001
I was under the impression that Clawhammer is a 64 and 32 bit chip which means it needs a 64 bit OS to use that part right? Well I read awhile back that Longhorn was supposed to be the 64 bit OS for Clawhammer but I now read that Longhorn isn't supposed to be out untill 2004.

So what OS will we use to get the most of our new Clawhammer when it finally arrives? I never used Linux and don't plan to in the near future so that kinda is out of the picture.

Booky

Crap, all the good ones are already taken.

tnadrev

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2002
Part of the Point of making x86-64 the way it is, is so that it is backwards compatible... i suggest Windows XP.

The 32-bit performance is supposed to be above par, and needing 64-bits on the standard desktop is still a bit ludicrous... though how i would love to program it... all those extra registers!!!!

(note: Windows XP 64-bit Edition does not work on x86-64, not in its current state anyways)

(bb || !bb) - Shakespeare

eden

Champion
You won't even get the most out of your Clawhammer even in 2004 so really, a Win x86-64 is not needed. There have been constant talks of an OS for it, but nobody is able to confirm. AMD seemed to show one WinXP running that.

--
<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=faq&notfound=1&code=1" target="_new">The THGC Photo Album, send your pics and see others'!</A>

Booky

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2001
So I wouldn't be wasting my money to buy WIN XP Pro for it? Just don't want to pass up this deal I got right now and not sure how many copies to get.

Booky

G

Nah, I wouldnt hold my breath for an MS x86-64 windows OS. It will come eventually, but I surely wouldnt wait for it. Most likely, it will appear in a server OS release first, as >4GB support is more of a concern in that market than on the desktop.

Also, Win XP will run just fine on an Athlon-64, unless you need > 4 GB support (If you do, you might want to consider Linux). WinXP 32 bit wont unlock the full potential of the cpu, but then again, did Windows ever ?

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
If you been using Windows your whole life.. and get the claw and decide to go with linux 64bit os...

how hard will it be to learn your way around the OS?

This Community is like a Second Family!!

Booky

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2001
This is the question I am asking myslef also. I have tried old Red Hat version 3 or something like that, but was totally lost.

Booky

USpatriot

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2002
Don't waste your time learning Linux... I've worked with Linux/UNIX for years since my school endorsed its use.. In fact my school was considered one of the biggest supporters of Red Hat... I find it funny now we are running XP on 90% of our machines. Does that answer your question? Linux's only advantage in the past was stability and MS has pretty much solved that in XP.

vacs

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
seems that most people here have been wrongly manipulated by the 64-bit hype. Nothing is getting twice as fast, stable or just better then it is now with 32-bit CPUs and software... not even close to 5% better...

And that's also the main problem I see with the Hammer CPU: too expensive for homeusers and no way to take use out of this nice little 64-bit. Better buy next year a cheaper but almost as well performing Athlon XP or P4 with full 32-bit support than a expensive Athlon 64 with almost no 64-bit support...

of course, if you are interested in servers this is a completely different thing...

mr_gobbledegook

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2001
Clawhammer will run 32 and 64 bit (x86-64) operating systems. When clawhammer is officially released in March / April 2003 (personally I think it will be May when Clawhammer is widely avaliable) Windows XP (32bit) and Linux 32/64bit will be avaliable.

Personally I would stick to Windows XP unless you have a thing for Linux or have more than 4GB RAM on your workstation. Or you could wait for the next version of Windows due for release Q104 (codenamed Longhorn) which is likely to support x86-64. Clawhammer will run the majority of 32bit applications between 0-20% faster on a 32bit OS. Using a 64bit OS 32 bit applications will not improve in speed (perhaps even run 0-5% slower).

I personally wont be purchasing a Clawhammer when it is released although I am intrigued by how well it will perform. I wil be grabing my hands on a Athlon XP Barton and Nforce2 motherboard.

I will probably purchase a Clawhammer when support for DDR II arrives (or perhaps even a Prescott) system in 2004 when the platform / cpu matures and prices are lower.

<font color=purple>Ladies and Gentlemen, its...Hammer Time !</font color=purple><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by mr_gobbledegook on 12/26/02 01:34 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
very good points, you've deff made up my mind.. I have been Longing for a PC since god knows when.. and was going to wait for the claw.. but now you just made up my mind and i do see it will just be a waste..(at this time) i will go with the 2800+ nVidia2 asus mobo

alot better decision in my mind... also cheaper

This Community is like a Second Family!!