Computer freezing on Video Games

reryde

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2002
I have a newly assembled pc with a amd anthlon xp 2200+, sb audigy gamer, radeon 9700 pro, with a asus a7n8x deluxe mb. Whenever playing games it freezes, and my cpu temperature is running at about 55c. I looked up on it and it says the the max rate is at 90c, and you shouldn't run it over 65c. I have a good cooling system, and have to admit, i couldn't get ahold of some good thermal compound such as arctic silver 3. The one i currently am using is antec silver thermal compound from best buy, that's all they carried and that's all i could have got ahold of. So What do you guys think...what kinda problem am i looking at? I also was thinking about a graphics card problem...mabey i don't have all the updated drivers etc.
btw...my case is a lian li pc-60 so i should keep the rest of the system pretty cool. Also when viewing my bios, when looking at the fan speed, there is no fan speed indicated for the chasis fan. It reads 0. Other than that i think i pretty much covered it, if not i'll get back to you with any responses. thnx again

lpenix

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2001
Hi, if 55c is the temp of the processor when it freezes, then it is not the processor. that is not a bad temp to be under load.

I CANT TAKE IT ANYMORE,,<--- comes out of the closet screaming i am an AMD bieocth fan boy..

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
For a 2200+ you should be around 40~42c at idle, if you are getting a temp reading before you play your game of 55c then chances are your CPU is overheading under load. A CPU can rise 15c easy doing 3D graphics.

Very high chance that your HSF is poorly mounted/has bad contact.

You are limited to what your mind can perceive.

eden

Champion
Fugger you can't determine any average temps of a CPU.
His XP2200 can well be much higher.
My XP1600 runs at 45ºC to 50ºC on average and rises to 55ºC under summertime load.
There is simply no real idle temp as you are indicating.

I'd also recommend checking if he is using Asus Probe and is not basing his temps on other programs. Sometimes Probe tends to stink up temps.

--
<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=faq&notfound=1&code=1" target="_new">The THGC Photo Album, send your pics and see others'!</A>

reryde

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2002
It's running at 55c when i reset and check out the bios. Even then when i opened it up, the cpu was pretty hot. Yesterday i just remounted the cpu and added some thermal compound, but it's still runnin at a cooler speed than it was. Also, earlier on today i got an error saying that it had an internet crash, and it was a serious problem, and it had recovered or something of that sort. It gave me the error when i was trying to get online with ghost recon.

BCCode : 50 BCP1 : FFFFFBF5 BCP2 : 00000001 BCP3 : BFA097ED
BCP4 : 00000000 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 0_0 Product : 768_1

C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini122202-01.dmp
C:\DOCUME~1\Hank\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER17.tmp.dir00\sysdata.xml

If that helps any...

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have a XP 2200+ it idles at 39~40c with stock heatsink on a KT400 Ultra mobo with no case fans.

When running 3D it will increase to 55c easy and with bad cooling I can see that number going much higher and nothing to stop it. I use a digidoc 5

ritesh_laud

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001
It's running at 55c when i reset and check out the bios.
By the time you enter the BIOS, the CPU has already cooled down by many degrees. So you probably are overheating. Do you have proper case circulation? No point in having a nice HSF setup if you're not getting the hot air out of the case!

Ritesh

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
And for goodness sake, what kind of power supply have you got in there and what are the voltage readings on each rail right before it dies?

<font color=red>--The turkey may burn and the family may fight,
but video games are forever, so to all a good byte.--</font color=red>
<font color=green>Winter Solstice: <i>The</i> reason for the season.</font color=green>

eden

Champion
I am amazed that it has such temps at idle with stock heatsink. I'd imagine the Tbred Bs are even cooler. Though again no CPU is ever the same so yours may be a lucky one. Perhaps AMD did it on purpose to hand-pick them at the convention you went to?
But for such huge deltas of temps, that reminds me of the P4 clock gating effect. I just don't see why the AthlonXP is being so sensitive here!

Still, my Palomino with Volcano 7 at 1.4GHZ goes at 55ºC in load summertime, with 2 case fans.
I realize that does bias a lot the readings compared to you but I fail to see how yours can be this hot at load temps.

--
<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=faq&notfound=1&code=1" target="_new">The THGC Photo Album, send your pics and see others'!</A><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Eden on 12/23/02 12:12 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
My 2200 was a AMD sample sent to me, it was like a few days old when I got it. I posted the week number a while back.

If you want to see some benches I can do.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
hehe
Ive run my TbredA at up to 78C

<b><font color=purple>[Rik_]</font color=purple> I wonder how many people have made their own phasechange system?
<font color=blue>[LHGPooBaa]</font color=blue> I get phasechange whenever i eat a hot chillie :lol: </b>

eden

Champion
Oh it's ok, I wouldn't see it as much of a performer against the latest CPUs. Unless you managed to get it to XP3000 like Copenhagen.

--
<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=faq&notfound=1&code=1" target="_new">The THGC Photo Album, send your pics and see others'!</A>

reryde

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2002
Thank You for you're responses. It was in fact over heating. I easily solved this problem by applying the thermal compound properly (some weak no-name stuff), and clearing out wires and such from the airflow in the case. I solved the prob for now, but i have a solution, a vantec tornado, and some arctic silver 3 on the way. Just for reference I have a lian li pc-60 case, so I think it keeps the rest of it pretty cool. Thank You for all you're help, much appreciated.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
overheating eh? at 55C? hmmm...must have been reading from the below socket thermistor. What thermal compound and heatsink were you using?

<b><font color=purple>[Rik_]</font color=purple> I wonder how many people have made their own phasechange system?
<font color=blue>[LHGPooBaa]</font color=blue> I get phasechange whenever i eat a hot chillie :lol: </b>

reryde

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2002
As of right now i'm using the standard heatsink provided with the cpu, and i'm using "antec silver thermal compound". Well the reason i say I say i solved the problem is because i don't freeze up anymore, so i'm only putting 2 and 2 together. If not why don't you enlighten me. I'm curious to what else it may be.