Rumor: Apple Going OLED With LG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunderfox

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
Good to see someone finally using OLED for something, but this being an Apple product I'm sure they'll charge twice what it's worth, so I'd never consider getting one anyway. Hopefully it moves the technology forward though.

rantsky

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
Nice mockup but flawed... No way Apple would have a disk drive in something that size. CD/DVDs are phasing out, if you've been following Apple lately (Air anyone?).

Good move imho but that's a whole different discussion now.

waikano

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
[citation][nom]JMcEntegart[/nom]Sorry lads, all fixed.[/citation]
No worries Jane, you are still fine the way you are to me. I don't care what these other readers say....

foldsomething

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
It's a fun rumor... OLED would help save battery life... Apple's big on battery life if we're to believe their reasoning for push versus multi-taskong. It would also make any display more handy in direct sun light... I just don't know about the price and refresh rates though.

The Schnoz

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
This is actually pretty exciting if true. I saw LG's OLED screens at this years CES and came away very impressed. They are as thin as a few sheets of paper and I believe were displaying 1366x768. LG really had the best booth of the show IMHO. I can see why Apple signed with them....if this is true. Although I am a bit suprised. I would think LG would want to release a OLED based iPhone killer of their own rather than give any advantage to Apple. But hey, if they didn't do it someone else would.

waikano

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
[citation][nom]JMcEntegart[/nom]@waikano: Ah bless your cotton socks. Makin' me day.[/citation]

Doing what I can....Hope tomorrow is just as good, if not better. And man my socks are feeling more comfortable already.

saturn77

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
Optical drives are so old. The PS3 mad a huge mistake by expanding on DVD technology which in itself was bad. When day to day usage of media destroys it, you know you have a bad product.

I hope everyone moves to solid state media like flash or simply have everything online for download. I will never buy a DVD, CD , Blu-lol ever again. Tired of having countless cds and dvds peal after a couple of years or get scratched up by using them or having to be extremely carefull when loading/unloading them.

Shnur

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
[citation][nom]saturn77[/nom]Optical drives are so old. The PS3 mad a huge mistake by expanding on DVD technology which in itself was bad. When day to day usage of media destroys it, you know you have a bad product. I hope everyone moves to solid state media like flash or simply have everything online for download. I will never buy a DVD, CD , Blu-lol ever again. Tired of having countless cds and dvds peal after a couple of years or get scratched up by using them or having to be extremely carefull when loading/unloading them.[/citation]

I am against everything to be downloaded, you cannot speak for the average Joe that still has dial-up and wants to watch the latest SpiderMan in HD. It is too complicated for most people to manage their space on their PC, so if you bought let's say a computer with 500gb of space in it from Best Buy, you look like an idiot after filling it up after a month (and also paying a lot of money to your ISP for overload of bandwidth) because you have to manage how much storage you need to buy, you want 1TB external? That sets you back to about 150$ which is a big expense for somebody, it is easier for them to buy 10 DVDs for 15$ each and they will still find it cheaper.
Also bandwidth is limited, if EVERYBODY was downloading at high speeds and all the time, we would just be clogging down the whole system and some people would not be able to even read e-mails.

foldsomething

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
[citation][nom]doormatderek[/nom]In my opinion, that device looks like it is sitting/resting on that cd/disc. Maybe just to give a size comparison....[/citation]
ummm.... no, I think that disc is sticking out of the device... you can see the shadow / reflection of the drive slot on and around the disc. I don't have any insider source, but I'm pretty sure this is an "artist interpretation." It looks slick, and it's fun for conversation though. If and when apple releases their net-tablet, my guess is that Snow Leopard will be out, and I'm pretty sure apple will have changed the desk top background for that. Also, even though it's a hybrid device, my guess is that Apple will treat it more like a computer... which probably means webcam on the front.

jawshoeaw

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2008
Cute toy. If Dell charges $250 for a basic netbook, I guess apple will charge $300-$400.

I won't mourn the loss of optical media - blu ray seems like the last gasp. Went down to fry's to see what they had in the blu-ray Home Theater In a Box category. Only one setup, for a $1000, cheapest basic blu-ray player was $300.

Then I asked myself, how many DVDs do I own? None. How many CDs do I own? Maybe 10, most bought years ago. Last time I used my DVD drive in my computer was weeks ago, and that was only to watch a rented movie. I don't think I've ever used it for data in three years so I'm all for netbooks losing the optical.

The only thing keeping optical alive in my opinion is monopolistic pricing in broadband (and slow broadband) and slow penetration of faster home wireless. On my new 720P projector, I mostly watch recorded over the air HD TV now, looks better than an upscaled DVD and I don't have to buy a $300 DVD player and cram it into my older home theater setup.

halogen

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2007
OLED, I admire apple for being able to find a new way to pull money of their naive customers.swaroski crystal and diamonds , can you hear me jobs?

halogen

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2007
OLED, I admire apple for being able to find a new way to pull money of their naive customers.swaroski crystal and diamonds , can you hear me jobs?

halogen

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2007
comparing a bmw to apple is twisted cos a bmw car has many thing you wont find in a honda, if apple wants to many xp users to switch why do they have bootcamp??.. do you think mercedes wants to be hyundai?? you wont find an bmw comercial in a mainstream tv station like mtv, mercedes would never try to steal customers from honda, they have built a reputation of their own.

mac heads love the fancy car analogy just to fool us reasons to pay more , when you design a car you look for a sleek design cos is the thing customers love about a car, when you buy a computer the main reason is something that works

kellywilliams0448

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2012
If Apple is going OLED with LG Electronics, i think the out come will be a 'true godly OLED TV' that the world will be amazed of. As a matter of fact, we want to see a super sophisticated product like the OLED TV from LG and Apple or Samsung and LG or whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.