Have some general pc questions that need answering

Alwysgmng

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2001
Ok here's the deal.

I have an abit KG7 Raid MOBO. it has 4 memory slots. i only use 2, i tried to use the 3rd one and my pc wasn't booting up. i heard that some mobo's have trouble running 3 ram sticks even if they claim to support 4. is there a driver i can download or somethin to solve this problem?

also....i recently tried installing a new processor, i had the amd athlon t-bird 1.4 ghz, i tried installing a athlon xp 1700+ .... but couldn't get the thing to run at its full speed, only could get it to 1 ghz..... i tried fulling around with bios settings to get it just right..but never could.. so i ended up taking the new cpu out and putting my t-bird back in.....but when i did, i couldn't get that to run at its right speed either....its suppose to be 1.4ghz but i couldn't get it to run more then 1ghz....and thats what im using now.. if i go higher in bios my system won't boot up. so now.... my comp is running at 1ghz ... and everytime i boot up i get a VIA MASTER BUS DRIVER error. it automatically searches for the driver, and then tells me some hardware might not be working properly due to this error.

I am completely lost and would be more then pleased with some kinda assistance.

my system:
amd athlon t-bird
abit kg7 raid

rcf84 can I have your autograph?

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
Well, about the CPU speed, you might have to properly set the FSB to 100 (for the Tbird) and 133 (for the AthlonXP). It might be a setting in the BIOS settings or it might be actual jumpers on th board, I'm not too sure. Just check the instruction manual for that much. Now, what kind and speed of ram are you using, and at what CAS Latency? The problem might be that you're running RAM thats not rated for all slots on your motherboard... some motherboards, for example some of the ones running the VIA KT400 chipset, only support PC3200 (400Mhz) RAM on one or two of the three slots... You might be encountering the same problem. Anything else, just ask :)

Staggering out of the shower this morning, I hear the hair-dryer. "Whose awake?" I think... Till I realize its my computer - talk about a windtunnel