My XP3000+ does not play UT2K3 smoothly

Copenhagen

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
There has to be some reasonable explanation to this. My AMD Athlon XP2400+ running @ XP3000+ speed, is not able to play UT2K3 as smoothly as my 1400MHz Tualatin Celeron @ 1666MHz.

I'm using Windows 2000 and UT2K3 v1142.

No cheap comments please !!

<i>/Copenhagen - Clockspeed will make the difference... in the end</i> :cool:

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
I know this seems like an obvious question, but are all the other bits of the systems the same? (Graphics, RAM, etc)
How have you Overclocked it? Does your mobo have adequate PCI dividers or is your PCI bus OC'ed as well? Just thinking that maybe one of your cards doesn't like it and behaves oddly....

How does it run if everything is at stock speed? UT2K3 runs find on my XP2000+ system.

---
:smile: :tongue: :smile:

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Well if that were my system, i wouldn't worry about overclocking until i had got everything running fine in the first place.
Latest drivers, all settings checked out, no device conflicts etcetcetc.

Then proceed with overclocking. If you are just using FSB overclocking that can cauze problems as well.

<b><font color=purple>[Rik_]</font color=purple> I wonder how many people have made their own phasechange system?
<font color=blue>[LHGPooBaa]</font color=blue> I get phasechange whenever i eat a hot chillie :lol: </b>

munkey

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2001
when i had my duron 850 OC'ed to 1066 (highest stable OC) i was getting worse benchmark scores than my system did before the OC. after lowering the FSB a few MHZ (reduced the speed to 1054) it ran perfect for two years, until my mobo went up.

so you might try reducing the OC a bit.

<A HREF="http://www.textfiles.com/100/actung.hum" target="_new">Relaxen und watch das blinkenlights...</A>

Copenhagen

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
Thanks for the many suggestions. I've made some experiments and are happy to tell you all that the problem is now solved; no more stuttering.

The A7N8X has a so called "Auto AGP Frequency" setting which should (according to manual) permit automatic selection of the optimal AGP frequency. My perception of such a feature was that the AGP frequency dividers would automatically be adjusted to compensate for the high FSB used when overclocking. Apparently that is not the case (or the compensation is not enough), but setting the AGP frequency selection to 66MHz helped a lot.

eden

Champion
ColKiwi got it right, it is indeed the AGP being over the spec. I was wondering if the A7N8X had an AGP lock.

--
<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=faq&notfound=1&code=1" target="_new">The THGC Photo Album, send your pics and see others'!</A>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
<b>LOL</b>

Merry christmas to you too Intel Zealot from wayback! :wink:

<b><font color=purple>[Rik_]</font color=purple> I wonder how many people have made their own phasechange system?
<font color=blue>[LHGPooBaa]</font color=blue> I get phasechange whenever i eat a hot chillie :lol: </b>

eden

Champion
Wow, the meltdown is back!

I hope his New Year resolution is to be fresher than lately, he used to be good, but he went down.

--
<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=faq&notfound=1&code=1" target="_new">The THGC Photo Album, send your pics and see others'!</A>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Yeah. Good to see. Old fashioned fire and brimstone and spittle at the corner of the mouth is so hard to find ;)

Copenhagen

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
Considering there is NO SUCH THING as a 3000+ i wouldn't be suprised that an imaginary chip didn't perform well.
Reading your answer, I assume that you did not read all the posts in the thread. After fixing the AGP frequency to 66MHz in BIOS, there's no stuttering and the SiSoft Sandra 2003 numbers are very close to XP3000+ performance. This is no surprise as the FSB is very close to 166MHz and the CPU clock frequency is around 2.4GHz.

seancaddell

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2002
Intel on TOP? Have you seen Tom's latest High-End VGA review, Goodbye Mister Intel, Beaten to the Gig and still gettin beat..............