Redemption: What's Wrong With Redemption?

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.misc (More info?)

Hey,

There has been a feeling developing in me for about a year now that the
gameplay of Redemption is becoming less enjoyable. In the last week or two
while helping my roommate develop a magic deck I think I finally put a
finger on what's wrong with Redemption.

My guess as to what is "wrong" with Redemption is: The current game play is
too significantly affected by chance and guesswork.

What do I mean? A few examples:

Jephthah who discards a RANDOM card from the top of your draw pile was in
the nationals winning deck last year and seems to be in many players decks.

There are two Level 2 strategies that exist or are being developed that
"with the right draw" leave the opponent without the ability to do anything
that might allow them to win the game.

There are plenty of cards that counter Battle-By-The-Numbers Characters, and
yet they are still often used because the CHANCE of the opponent having the
cards needed to stop the character when it attacks isn't very good.

There was a defenseless deck at the final table of Level 1 - Multiplayer at
last years nationals. (The player that built it I have the highest respect
for and do not doubt that he built and played the deck extremely well to get
to the final table and deserved to be there, but the deck relies on things
working out rather conveiniently.)

I have a deck that if the opponent has conveinient evil brigades and I get a
decent draw there is no way my opponent can stop me from winning.

I remember back in 2000 and 2001 when the deck that was stronger and was
better played basically always won. Now it seems like the deck with the
best draw, or the player that gets the luckiest wins. Don't get me wrong,
every once in a while the luck cancels out and there's a good old-fassioned
battle of the decks, but it doesn't happen nearly enough. So, to Bryon and
his suggestions for future sets, see what you can do with this idea... make
luck and chance less of a factor in the game.

Tschow,

Sir Nobody

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.misc (More info?)

>I remember back in 2000 and 2001 when the deck that was stronger and was
>better played basically always won. Now it seems like the deck with the
>best draw, or the player that gets the luckiest wins.

Now I feel so much better. The reason I lose isn't my inadequate deck building
skills-it's just that my superior decks are being beaten by quirky decks that
just get lucky draws :)

Steve "Polycarp" Braun
Redemption New Jersey - http://ddicerc.tripod.com
"We may throw the dice, but the Lord determines how they fall." Prov. 16:33,
NLT
(To reply via e-mail, remove "nospam" from the address above.)

MadCat

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2001

ddicerc@aol.comnospam (DDiceRC) wrote in message news:<20040506205350.01933.00000960@mb-m05.aol.com>...
> >I remember back in 2000 and 2001 when the deck that was stronger and was
> >better played basically always won. Now it seems like the deck with the
> >best draw, or the player that gets the luckiest wins.
>
> Now I feel so much better. The reason I lose isn't my inadequate deck building
> skills-it's just that my superior decks are being beaten by quirky decks that
> just get lucky draws :)
>
> Steve "Polycarp" Braun
> Redemption New Jersey - http://ddicerc.tripod.com
> "We may throw the dice, but the Lord determines how they fall." Prov. 16:33,
> NLT
> (To reply via e-mail, remove "nospam" from the address above.)

The way I see it is this: A lot more people are building stronger
decks as you put it and if all decks are strong only chance is the
thing to see who wins, or in my case at the nats, draws..............

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.misc (More info?)

Sir Nobody,

This has always been a game of luck. I'll give you an example. Take that deck
you were talking about that is nearly unstoppable against certain brigades and
let's say that I am playing one of thos brigades. In your initial draw, you
draw five lost souls and eight good enhancements. I draw three characters that
band together, SOG, NJ, GOYS, AOTL, and CM with no lost souls. Not likely,
I'll admit, but this is an extreme example to show that luck always plays a
factor. You're toast, and it doesn't matter how good your deck construction
is.

For this game to always be decided by strategy would require scrapping all the
"drawing" rules and going to a format where I can choose what cards I want each
turn, and I wouldn't look for that any time soon.

Kevin Shride

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.misc (More info?)

Hey,

Kevin, I don't think you quite understand what I'm saying. Redemption
is a CCG. That means that there is a drawing mechanism and in cases
what cards are draw will determine who wins the game. But there's a
difference between that and a game of luck. A game of luck is
something like UNO. The "problem" in my oppinion is that the cases
when what cards are drawn determines who wins the game are becoming
more frequent.

Tschow,

Sir Nobody, WildCard Secretary of Defense
http://www.freewebs.com/redemptionne

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.misc (More info?)

> The "problem" in my oppinion is that the cases
> when what cards are drawn determines who wins the game are becoming
> more frequent.

Aside from Jephthah, who discards a random card from those remaining
in the draw pile, what else contributes to the MORE FREQUENT cases of
luck-determines-game?

I remember between Warriors and 2nd Ed. when whoever got Strong Angel
back from Gathering first generally won the game.

Also, whoever gets souls out first has ALWAYS been at a disadvantage.
Likewise a player who draws no ECs. These have not changed, but look
to the new set to actually see some improvement there.

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.misc (More info?)

> The way I see it is this: A lot more people are building stronger
> decks as you put it and if all decks are strong only chance is the
> thing to see who wins, or in my case at the nats, draws..............

I think you are correct here. Tim was referring to a time when there
was a such thing as a "best deck." Now I think there are more decks
that have a chance to win. Those decks do form a sort of "A beats B
which beats C which beats A" sort of relationship, so there is luck in
deciding what to play. But, that exists in every good CCG, and can be
minimized with careful consideration of ways to overcome as many of
the top deck types as possible.

That said, I still am interested to know of any SPECIFIC cards or
powerful deck-type problems you think need addressing. We are already
deep into working on an expansion now, so the sooner you submit
specific weak spots the more likely the fixes will be included in this
set.

bryonkerry@juno.com (Bryon Hake) wrote in message news:<85888d28.0405082258.febe4d6@posting.google.com>...
> > The "problem" in my oppinion is that the cases
> > when what cards are drawn determines who wins the game are becoming
> > more frequent.
>
> Aside from Jephthah, who discards a random card from those remaining
> in the draw pile, what else contributes to the MORE FREQUENT cases of
> luck-determines-game?
>
> I remember between Warriors and 2nd Ed. when whoever got Strong Angel
> back from Gathering first generally won the game.
>
> Also, whoever gets souls out first has ALWAYS been at a disadvantage.
> Likewise a player who draws no ECs. These have not changed, but look
> to the new set to actually see some improvement there.

There is somewhat of a problem in that. Remember the old push for a
"redraw" ground rule? As long as the game is based strictly on the
draw mechanic (hint: forever), it will always be a game of chance.

For a time people had the right idea, and were looking for ways to
blunt the consequences of chance. Limit your brigade colors.
Establish a good : bad ratio, a character : enhancement ratio, how
many Sites, how many Forts, etc. The entire format of 56/63/70/77/etc
cards grew from people analyzing statistical data and finding ways to
minimize their chances of drawing Lost Souls.

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.misc (More info?)

> There is somewhat of a problem in that. Remember the old push for a
> "redraw" ground rule? As long as the game is based strictly on the
> draw mechanic (hint: forever), it will always be a game of chance.

But what if the game weren't based on the draw mechanic. I have two
differnent ways to stop this style of ccg. one would be open deck draw:
Here you are able to look through your own deck to see what it is you want
to draw. Shuffling means nothing, nor does John (Promo) help much.

A second way which requires much more thought, is stacked decks. Here
both players stack their decks. Shuffling means you are able to restack,
but you can only take 60 seconds to do so. Your opponent never gets to
"shuffle" the other players' decks.

Both of these require a lot of time and for the stacked decks thinking
ahead. Now don't go saying that oh the stacked deck means that you could
put all your lost souls on the bottom! Well yes but with the opponents LS
and Harvest Time a a fair amount of others. This would be no problem.

Comments?
Wil

MadCat

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2001

OurGodlivz <OurGodlivz@idci-usa.com> wrote in message news:<c997t8$b3d$1@newsreader.mailgate.org>...
> > There is somewhat of a problem in that. Remember the old push for a
> > "redraw" ground rule? As long as the game is based strictly on the
> > draw mechanic (hint: forever), it will always be a game of chance.
>
> But what if the game weren't based on the draw mechanic. I have two
> differnent ways to stop this style of ccg. one would be open deck draw:
> Here you are able to look through your own deck to see what it is you want
> to draw. Shuffling means nothing, nor does John (Promo) help much.
>
> A second way which requires much more thought, is stacked decks. Here
> both players stack their decks. Shuffling means you are able to restack,
> but you can only take 60 seconds to do so. Your opponent never gets to
> "shuffle" the other players' decks.
>
> Both of these require a lot of time and for the stacked decks thinking
> ahead. Now don't go saying that oh the stacked deck means that you could
> put all your lost souls on the bottom! Well yes but with the opponents LS
> and Harvest Time a a fair amount of others. This would be no problem.
>
> Comments?
> Wil

Yea, you could put them all on the bottom, bury the HTed one and HT their hopper.

TRENDING THREADS