changing the rules at a tournament

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.misc (More info?)

what do you do when you go to a tournament and they change the rules on
you. I mean when there might be a contridictin in the rules and you play
according to one side and they rule that some other part of the rules
that doesn't really have to do with it does. Anyone can answer I'm just
wondering how the other games deal with this.
C-ya
G-nanaMan

G-nanaMan wrote:

> what do you do when you go to a tournament and they change the rules on
> you. I mean when there might be a contridictin in the rules and you play
> according to one side and they rule that some other part of the rules
> that doesn't really have to do with it does. Anyone can answer I'm just
> wondering how the other games deal with this.
> C-ya
> G-nanaMan

When a judge at an event makes a final ruling, it is *final*. Doesn't
matter what game you are playing. Afterwards, you and judge can try
checking with some official source and work out who was mistaken if
you like (and be polite about it, especially if it turns out you're
right), but the judge is the final arbiter over the table. It can't
work any other way.
--
Christopher Mattern

"Which one you figure tracked us?"
"The ugly one, sir."
"...Could you be more specific?"

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.misc (More info?)

Most competitive organizations (be they athletics, cards, chess, whatever) have
ways to appeal decisions up the chain. Most of the time, the only remedy they
can offer is the refund of your entry fee.

Speaking as a one-time Senior Tournament Director for the US Chess Federation, I
can tell you that it's a thankless job. Every time I ruled against someone,
there was a pretty good chance they were cursing me under their breath. They
were convinced I was out to get them, or trying to throw the tournament to one
of my friends, or whatever.

As another poster indicated, a judge or referee at this sort of event is almost
always on their own. They've usually taken a test or been otherwise certified,
which means they are *absolutely* more qualified (by definition) to decide the
rules than you are. And even if you are equally certified, you give up your
authority to them when you sign up for the tournament.

I think most judges and referees fail to take this issue by the horns. Were I
judging CCG events nowadays, I think I'd start the day with a little speech:

"Hello, everyone. I'm the judge here, which means I have the first, last, and
every say on rules. If you disagree, drop out now. If I'm wrong in one of my
decisions, that's too bad, but at least you have been warned ahead of time."

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~| Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not
Jeff Boes | thus handicapped.

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.misc (More info?)

>"Hello, everyone. I'm the judge here, which means I have the first, last, and
>every say on rules. If you disagree, drop out now. If I'm wrong in one of my
>decisions, that's too bad, but at least you have been warned ahead of time."

What a great speech! I think I'll try it at the NJ State tournament. It should
serve to confirm the general opinion of my sanity...

Steve "Polycarp" Braun
Redemption New Jersey - http://ddicerc.tripod.com
"We may throw the dice, but the Lord determines how they fall." Prov. 16:33,
NLT
(To reply via e-mail, remove "nospam" from the address above.)

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.misc (More info?)

thanks for what you said. I was wondering if any games have like a
comittee that might make rules and if they have ever actually changed
the rules in the middle of a tournament. are there any rules that
might stop this from happening?
C-ya
G-nanaMan