Sign in with
Your question

CPU / motherboard problems - tech help

Last response: in CPUs
December 26, 2002 8:36:21 PM

I am trying to install a new processer in my PC, but does not seem to be working (when I power-on, PC does not get to square-1 in boot sequence). Old processor works fine (366 mhz celeron). Here is the specs of the new CPU and mobo:

MOBO:
Intel 82443BX chipset. Dual processor support. Not sure on manufacturer / model.

CPU:
1.2 ghz celeron
100 mhz system bus (yes, same as mobo)
256 kb on-die cache
FCPGA 2 (socket 370)
Uni-processor only (I am installing on a dual processor board, but as a single processor)
.13 micron process
Requires electronically compatible motherboard (no @#@! clue what this actually means)

Anyone know if these should be compatible? Thanks in advance for any insights.

Jack
December 27, 2002 12:28:30 AM

if my understanding of intel hardware is correct then the BX based motherboard's do not support a tualatin core CPU's, which is what all .13 based PIII's and cellys use.

<A HREF="http://www.textfiles.com/100/actung.hum" target="_new">Relaxen und watch das blinkenlights...</A>
December 27, 2002 2:30:27 AM

I think that your Mobo not is compatible with Celeron 1.2 Ghz, because, there is one great difference of architecture between the Celeron 366 and the Celeron 1.2. Besides chipset BX is old too. I searched for the MoBo, but I didn't find nothing.

|Linux User: 254374 |
--> If have some writing mistake, sorry me, but it is just that I don't be very good in English yet. <-- And please correct me. ;) 
Related resources
December 27, 2002 3:03:16 AM

Ur board will work fien with Coppermines but not Tully's....what u need is a special adapter......Tom's did a review on one....ill digg up the link for it and post it here......also....its similar to the PowerLeap adapter except its just the adapter for the CPU it doesnt come with the CPU and what not....

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>
a b à CPUs
December 27, 2002 4:23:18 AM

That adapter works with fewer boards than the Powerleap adapter because it doen't have it's own VRM. Many early BX boards didn't support voltages below 1.80v, and setting the adapter to 1.80v may fry the Tualatin CPU.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
a b à CPUs
December 27, 2002 4:25:54 AM

It may work with a $20 Upgradeware adapter, then again, it may not. There are a lot of issues involved. It's more likely to work with a Powerleap IP3/t adapter than the Upgradeware version.

I'll sell you a Powerleap adapter for $40.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
December 27, 2002 4:31:20 PM

Thanks for the help, guys! I will try one of these adapters.
a b à CPUs
December 27, 2002 5:13:57 PM

Certainly. My suggestion would be to try the Upgradeware version. If that one doesn't work, I'll give you $20 trade in value towards the IP3/t I'm selling.

!