Nosaj

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2002
I'm a first time poster here so If this is a subject that has been discussed before please share your wisdom.

I want to upgrade my processor and have found one within my budget. The OEM version is $19 less than the retail which is significant to me. I know the general difference between OEM and Retail is the warranty and OEM does not come with fan or heat sink. Are there any other differences i should be aware of? If not, my plan is to replace my current processor with that of the OEM and use the same fan. I'm upgrading from a duron to an athlon xp if that helps for the responses.

Thanks in advance,

Nosaj

sturm

Splendid
u will need to get another fan if u buy oem. the xps put off more heat than a duron. If u dont plan on overclocking I would get the retail with the heatsink and warrenty. Ull spend more than $19 on another good heatsink.

Parhelia

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2002
no no more differences between the two, but u have to now is ur duron fan is enough to cool an athlon xp, if not go for the retail(u will have the fan included), and if u paln to overclock u will need a seperate fan cose the coller in the retail is not enough for cooling an overckloced athlon xp.

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The only two differences are the lack of included heat sink and fan plus you don't get the 3 year manufacturers warranty on an OEM processor. Your only recourse with an OEM processor is the retailer where you bought it.

Scout
700 Mflops in SETI!