$700-$900 laptop HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhuidk

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011
Hi. I'm looking for a decent laptop 14-15 inch for around $700-$900 that can play decent games. (starcraft 2 and battlefield 3(if it can handle it) I'm not looking for a desktop since I need portability. I was looking at some of the laptops and I narrowed down to three laptops.

Lenovo Y470
http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/catalog.workflow:category.details?current-catalog-id=12F0696583E04D86B9B79B0FEC01C087&current-category-id=DDF9ECA3EE72

Lenovo Y570
http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/catalog.workflow:category.details?current-catalog-id=12F0696583E04D86B9B79B0FEC01C087&current-category-id=F41BC8E1656C5F8

HP DV6t - with 1080p screen and 6770m and i5 or even i7 if it can fit in the budget
http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/series_can.do?storeName=computer_store&landing=notebooks&a1=Category&v1=High+performance&jumpid=in_R329_prodexp/hhoslp/psg/notebooks/High_performance

I really can't choose which one to get. All three of them have advantages and disadvantages. I put in Y470 because it's very affordable. Also I heard from many websites that 555m in Y570 is just a faster version of 550m. It's not a normal version of 555m found in for example, alienware 14x. I would definitely go with lenovo only if it had 1080p screen, but unfortunately, it doesn't.

I would love to see opinions/suggestions. If you have better deal for this budget range, I would love to see all of them.

By the way, I have a friend that had HP notebook, not really sure which model, but it was around $600, and it was exceptionally loud. He returned it because it was way too loud. Are all HP laptops like this?

Rhuidk

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011
That's pretty amazing deal for 560m, 1080p, bluray, etc.. But I need portability and that thing is a monster.
& I thought overclocking a laptop is not a good idea?

I thought there would be lots of deals for laptops since it's black friday.. But, I can't seem to find a great deal.

overclocking is a risk for return investment. from a pure advisability standpoint, overclocking is a bad idea in general, doesn't mean it shouldn't be done, you just have to understand the possible consequences of the risk you are taking when overclocking. As long as you do that you can overclock a watch for all I care

I assume you mean me as I was the only other person who posted? The Asus I linked to isnt a refurb.
you're absolutely right, I apologize. I probably was looking at refurb links for some other thread before and for some reason lumped them all together. sorry.

perfectblue

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2011

Because you get a GT555M with 128 bit GDDR5 memory GPU in this Y570. With an i5, its a real good deal for sub $700. You could go medium-high in SC2.

If you think that lack of 1080p is a deal breaker, you have to keep in mind that you wont get a 'portable' laptop with enough GPU power to play games at high settings FullHD. So with 720p resolution you could game all you want at high.

Compared to that HP, Lenovo doesn't get heated up fast, it has solid chasis, and the screen brightness is better. Fan noise is really a subjective topic.
The similar things could be said to ASUS models too like the N53 or N55. But I haven't seen them drop in price that much.

Portability and gaming are always in the opposite ends. Its upto you to decide how much of each character you want the most. Then of course there is the price to consider :D

Status
Not open for further replies.