Dead Athlon xp; what to do

tlucca

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2002
Hi all

I just burned out (I believe) my athlon xp 1700 cpu on my system. I installed the heatsink and fan and powered up, but after about a second, smoke started coming out of the heatsink. I immedialely shut of the system, re-assembled the heatsink/fan and now I get nothing, only the fan coming on, no video, no beeps, nothing. did I indeed fry my cpu? Does AMD have any warranty for this kind of thing? Is there any way to test for cpu burnout? Any advice on what to do would be very helpful.

thank you,
Tom

sturm

Splendid
Where there is smoke there is fire! more than likely yes you fried, but to be sure remove the cpu and see if the motherboard is burned also.
What heatsink and thermal paste did u use. ive heard arctic silver can short out on the athlons if u get too much on.
is the cpu die discolored or warped at all if so its definityly fried.
u could try it in another computer to make sure though.

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
Im sorry but u must be very VERY bad at reading instructions....and obviously u didnt put the heatsink fan on at all or definently not properly......as if theres a HSF on there theres NO WAY after a second the CPU would burn from the press of the power button.......

As for testing?? stik ur CPU in sum 1 elses socket A board.......

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>

leeanator

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2002
Are you 100% sure that all the CPU settings are correct? How about Voltage? Also if you had a heatsink and thermal paste on there and installed correctly it would not have burned up that fast. (Like the last guy said) I believe AMD does not supply any warrenty for User error. But the processor may have also been manufactured wrong. Double check everything and then raise hell.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
As far as I know the only way to have this happen is to put the heatsink on with the socket step on the wrong side (turned 180 degrees from the proper position) or by cracking the core. Either would be your fault of course, hard to say who would or wouldn't replace it (I wouldn't).

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

dhlucke

Polypheme
Consider it a $70 lesson. The instructions are so thorough, with pictures even, that it's impossible to screw up if you follow them. I'm going to guess that you bought an OEM processor and a separate HSF. Thus, you didn't get any instructions. Next time go retail or download the instructions off the web.

Always remember that it's cheaper to pay somebody $30 to install it for you if you aren't sure what you're doing.

<font color=red>
<A HREF="http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/ApJ/" target="_new">Forum Assassin</A></font color=red>