Floppy drive for 8400

How do I go about buying a floppy drive and a FD faceplate for a
Dimension 8400? Would going through Dell be the best way?

Tx

<whyme@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> How do I go about buying a floppy drive and a FD faceplate for a
> Dimension 8400? Would going through Dell be the best way?
>
> Tx

Nope. You can buy a standard floppy drive from any vendor such as
www.zipzoomfly.com or www.newegg.com (specify a black dust flap on the
drive). The front panel insert for the floppy should be behind one of the
(factory installed) blank front cover panels (which are removed by pressing
a plastic tab). I'd verify that the floppy panel with the eject button is
indeed there before I bought the drive. If not, you'll have to call dell for
the panel.

The drive rails for the floppy are inside the system case (green, the
shorter pair).

You might also consider an external floppy drive (USB).

Stew

sparky

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2003

whyme@nowhere.com wrote:

> How do I go about buying a floppy drive and a FD faceplate for a
> Dimension 8400? Would going through Dell be the best way?

Why not look around for a USB floppy? No faceplate needed and it's portable.

whups:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim8400/SM/parts.htm#wp1054462

> <whyme@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>> How do I go about buying a floppy drive and a FD faceplate for a
>> Dimension 8400? Would going through Dell be the best way?
>>
>> Tx
>

> Nope. You can buy a standard floppy drive from any vendor such as
> www.zipzoomfly.com or www.newegg.com (specify a black dust flap on the
> drive). The front panel insert for the floppy should be behind one of the
> (factory installed) blank front cover panels (which are removed by
> pressing a plastic tab). I'd verify that the floppy panel with the eject
> button is indeed there before I bought the drive. If not, you'll have to
> call dell for the panel.
>
> The drive rails for the floppy are inside the system case (green, the
> shorter pair).
>
> You might also consider an external floppy drive (USB).
>

> Stew

Check ebay or get a USB floppy.

Good Luck,
Karl