NEED some BIG time help here with processor

RAMWolff

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2002
/motherboard.

What happened? I transfered all my old computer guts to a new case so I can take it into work as a work computer. I have a new setup that I built myself (first computer I built). So I thought no biggie to just take the guts from the old computer and re-build it into the new case (that I can't stand but will be fine for work). I have to replace the CPU fan on so I do with a little bit of the silver stuff, geez, can't find it anywhere right now, so I don't know the exact name, it's the stuff that you put between the processor chip and the fan. Anyway, so I do that and then I mount it into the new case with the standoffs and then I load all the drives in and what not (sound card, video, ect....) and then boot it up. All drives are recognized and onboard RAM, ect.... then the keyboard and mouse freeze up, so I am stuck. So I reboot and hit F1 and go into the BIOS, freezes up again (that's when I figure it's something to do with the processor or the MB). So I rebooted numerous times, no luck. Today I go to Fry's, buy a new hard drive, mouse, keyboard, battery for the MB and nothing is making any difference, switched power supplies, just about everything, no joy. So it's either the MB or the processor. The procesor is an Intel Pentium III/1 Ghz. The motherboard is an Intel. The system is/was a Gateway system.

So if anyone can come up with any other ideas that won't cost me any more money that would be just great. :)

Thanks kindly

Richard ;-)~

---Wolff On The Prowl---

LtBlue14

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2002
my friend's computer would freeze almost immediately when he didn't have his heatsink/fan (HSF) on properly. yes you do want to put on some arctic silver 3, or at least some kind of thermal paste, and you want to put it on very thinly. try reseating the hsf and try to go into the hardware monitor to see what your cpu temperatures are

--------------

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=faq&notfound=1&code=1" target="_new">mubla otohp eht ni ecaf ruoy teg</A>

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I guess I'm not sure I understand what you did... You took a Gateway apart and tried to put the motherboard and parts into a different case? Why on earth would you want to do that?

If that's what you did, my first thought is were there any mounting problems with the Gateway mobo in the new case? I'm not too sure how generic Gateways are, but you may have a standoff under the board in the new case that you should have removed. You might check that.

Other than that, if this setup was working in the other case, the only thing I can think of is you might have zapped something with static. Did you use a grounding strap when you removed the parts? It's pretty tough to figure out what might have gotten zapped, but the memory is probably the most sensitive, although I've screwed up BIOS's before by being careless with static electricity.

You mention you changed the battery, so I assume that would have cleared the CMOS, which would be my next suggestion. Other than that, you could try and reassemble the parts in the old Gateway case and see if they work there.

Good luck!

Scout
700 Mflops in SETI!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You might have a SPARE standoff grounding the motherboard, and judging from your information, it would be under the Keyboard Controller. Check to make certain there are no more standoffs than screws used.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

RAMWolff

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2002
OK, this might be long but it will give you all the low down on why I attempted to switch the guts from one case to another.

I like the Gateway case, though I need to send it out to have it modified in the back where the ports sheild goes (molded metal that is part of the back plate needs to be cut out so I can insert a different sheild back there). I really love the interior, very well designed so I really want to use it with my new computer setup/guts eventually. Sturdy too!!

One of the main reasons I can't stand the case that I transfered all the old Gateway guts into it is that the standoffs are pre installed, they are like little domes with holes at the top and I was not sure WHAT to use to fasten the motherboard to them and if THEY were maybe grounding the MB. So I carefully mounted some coated paper washers and then had put in the Gateway MB and fastened it in with the usual steel screws. It's an Intel MB, so it has the usual metal rings on the MB seperated away from any other circuitry. The shield that came with the Gateway, seeing as the back of the original case was molded metal and not a removable shield, was this flimsy, spongy material with a shielding on both sides and then a nice painted cloth sticker for the outside with all the icons brightly visible. So I took the shield that came with the case and popped that into the back of the newer case and then put the flimsy shield up agains the MB's ports and popped it into the case and then fastened it down, seemed to all fit nicely.

**UPDATED Part** OK, so I gave in and spent the morning transfering every thing BACK into the Gateway case and there is most definitely something wrong with the MB. I managed to get into the OS and save some stuff that I forgot to save (YEA!) and then used Partition Magic (floppy version) to delete and format the drive for Windows 2000 installation for work. The problem was that each time I went to reboot, for what ever reason, I had to reset the CMOS system clock. and to make it worse it's not sticking. So I think the BIOS or the MB are corrupted and I have the newest BIOS flash floppy and it's not fixing it. So I'm not sure what to do here.

When I was able to make it past the boot up messages the CDROM drive would NOT auto start to begin installation instead I was greeted with the following message:

------------------------------------------
---Missing SYSCMNDR.SYS!---
Boot error: @-00
Partition 0 id=0f (other)
Partition 1 id-00 (empty)
Partition 2 id-00 (empty)
Partition 3 id-00 (empty)

Select partition to boot, 0-3:_
------------------------------------------

Any help here or is this where I go out and buy a new MB??

Not upset, I know that all the drives are OK at this point and the RAM seems good and I think the processor is OK, except I need to know if the Silver Thermal Compound (found it! ;-) ) is harmful to the processor if it gets on the green part of it?? It did and I wiped it off thoroughly and re-applied a very thin coat on the middle area where I imagine the chip itself is located. I have a Pentium IV micro in the new system that I built and it's visually a bit different on the top area compared to the Pentium III regular sized chip, so I'm not really sure if it's right or wrong??

Thanks very much and WHEW!!

Richard ;-)~

---Wolff On The Prowl---<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by RAMWolff on 12/30/02 05:43 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The silver paste really won't hurt the green part of your processor. It is conductive however, so be careful not to get too sloppy with it.

This may be a stupid question, but the fact your CMOS is acting strange, and you mentioned you changed your battery, did you put it in with the + side up?

Not real sure what else may be wrong... besides you may have zapped it with static. This may be the time to get a new board!

Scout
700 Mflops in SETI!