Looking for a non-gaming laptop for gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

m1ndkiller

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011
Hey. I'm new here and I'm also new to computer hardware in general so please bear with me.

I want a laptop that can handle modern multiplayer video games on decent settings (Starcraft 2, Team Fortress 2, etc). However, I'd like to avoid getting a fancy gaming laptop because of both price and physical size/weight. I already have a good desktop computer for PC gaming so this laptop would be more for casual multiplayer at LANs in addition to the normal uses of a laptop. I'd also like to be able to play good quality video files (can laptops handle 1080p?), but I don't need to run Skyrim on the highest settings.

So, I guess what I'm asking is, what kind of built-in video card would I need for this? Could I get by with a new regular laptop or would I need something from one of the companies that specializes in gaming like Alienware? Other factors like battery life aren't as big a deal but I'd rather stick as close to the current laptop standards as possible rather than opting for a super-heavy short-battery gaming computer that's basically meant to replace your desktop.

I also noticed the suggested questions in the FAQ so I'll fill them in below:

1. What is your budget?
$1000 or less but I can compromise

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
Not sure. Just not too big.

3. What screen resolution do you want?
720p

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
portable

5. How much battery life do you need?
Doesn't really matter. 2 hours I guess.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Most new games (SC2, TF2, etc). Low settings are fine as long as frame rate is constant.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Playing HD videos.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
Doesn't matter

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
not sure

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
A few years.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
Ability to read BluRays.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Not sure. Anything that looks good. HP seems to be the most stylish.

13. What country do you live in?
Canada

Solution
You basically want a Geforce GT 540M, Radeon HD 6550M or better graphics card along with the Core i5-2410M or better CPU.

And you can get those options in standard laptops in your price range from Dell (XPS 15), HP (dv6) and Lenovo (Y570).

hpfreak

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010

I like both of 'em, especially the G74. But the OP said he didn't want the bulkiness, weight etc.. of a regular gaming machine.. the G74 is all that.

You basically want a Geforce GT 540M, Radeon HD 6550M or better graphics card along with the Core i5-2410M or better CPU.

And you can get those options in standard laptops in your price range from Dell (XPS 15), HP (dv6) and Lenovo (Y570).

Solution

jonbeas

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2010
Mar 21, 2013
I recently bought a laptop that I think is suitable for you.Hp Pavilion dv7-7000EX. Its specs are:
Screen Size: 17.3 inches
Max Screen Resolution: 1920 x 1080
Processor: 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7 boost to 3.3 GHz
RAM: 8 GB
Hard Drive:750 GB HDD 7200 rpm
Graphics: Coprocessor GT 630M Graphics
Brand Name: HP
Series: DV7-7000 Quad Series
Item model number: dv7-7000ex
Hardware Platform: PC laptop
Operating System: Windows 7
Item Weight: 7.3 pounds