I want a new video card

G

I am searching for a new video card. These are my choices:

Radeon 7000 32MB DDR

Radeon 7200 64MB SDR

Geforce2 MX-400 64MB SDR

Geforce2 GTS 32MB I think its DDR

This is my dilemma, Radeon sucks at low res 16bit color but kicks ass at hi res 32 bit. I'm worried about ATI Drivers, but they are cheaper then Geforce2. Geforce2 is more expensive, but has solid drivers and frequent releases. Geforce rules at low res 16bit colour. What should I do? I have a 21" monitor that I have at 1024X768 all the time. Thanks for all your advice, Larry

Stiffler

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2001
Hmm looks like you have a pretty low budget :/
BTW GTS means that it is DDR (I have had one of those cards for over a year now)

What do you want it for ? Gaming ? what kind of spec will the card be going into ?

I would almost say don't bother if your looking for high performance and up your budget a bit :/ there are some much more powerful cards around at the moment for not too much more money.

I am Homer of Borg ! Prepare to be... MMMhhhhh Doughnuts

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
When you have a budget that low, I recommend not to get anything and save up a bit more money. Seriously, it's not worth getting anything slower than a GeForce2 Ti nowadays. Games are getting more advanced and anything slower will quickly become obsolete. I stress this: you'll want a MINIMUM of a GeForce2 Ti if you're considering gaming. A GeForce2 Ti/Radeon 7500, is my current recommended minimum for a gamer.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Yeah, save up a little more.

You got R8500 OEM's at $185 dollars. There a good buy at that price. <A HREF="http://www.pricewatch.com/1/37/4187-1.htm" target="_new">http://www.pricewatch.com/1/37/4187-1.htm</A>

Nice Nvidia and ATi users get a Cookie.... :smile: Yummy :smile:

jflongo

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2001
I should be getting my Radeon 7500 tomorrow or tuesday, i'll tell you how it goes ;-)

Got the OEM version for $119 off www.newegg.com.

yiliang

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2001
I disagree that "you'll want a MINIMUM of a GeForce2 Ti if you're considering gaming" from AMD_FAN. Look around, even the newest games hardly see any game requires a MINIMUM of a GeForce2 Ti. Not many games even uses T&L. If u're talking about 1600x1200x32(few play games at this resoltion I think) , then we're going different ways. U don't need butte kicking Gfx to enjoy a good game. A good game is inside the game, the story of a game. Although nice Gfx would be a good addition, but most people wouldn't play a game which has perfect Gfx, but terrible story line. Gfx doesn't change the core of a game. Besides, if u really love games, get a concole. It'll save u a lot of time tuning the computer.
Someone once said,"if u're serious about gaming, get a Voodoo." when most people're in 2D. Nowdays, get a video card that u can get the most out of it.

Once I used my i386/34+i387 and 4 MB Ram for CAD...

SerArthurDayne

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001
No, he's right about a Geforce2 Ti being the minimum level to buy at this point. You do NOT buy a video card to be able to play *current* games at *minimum* requirements. We all know that games look like ass when played on a system with minimum requirements, and why would he want that? Not only that, a low level card would have no longevity... by next fall the new games will totally outclass todays low level cards.... even a Geforce 2 Ti is considered a low/mid level card these days. If I were a gamer and in the market for a new card, I would be looking at the area of a Geforce 3 Ti 200 for the low end. If I were on a really tight budget, the Geforce 2 Ti would have to do.

"Laziness is a talent to be cultivated like any other" - Walter Slovotsky

Intel_inside

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
if you can find it cheap, the hurcules prophet 4500 64mb might be a good option. I purchased one of those and I can play return to castle wolfenstein at 1024 x 768 in high detail on my lowly celeron500 at a good speed

<i>Mommy that dog is trying to jump over that other dog but he keeps not making it</i>

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
The Hercules Prophet 4500, is outdated in features and performance. That's not what he'd want.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

well i bought my dad a abit geforce2mx ti400 64MB w/tv out for 71 bucks at newegg.com for christmass?

my dad doesn't play games so i bought this because it has tv out and he wants to watch dvds from his computer on his tv. It's the cheapest card out there that has tv-out that i can find. My dad isn't gonna want to play the latest games as they are too complicated for him to play them.

if that fits your needs then get the card otherwise save your money and get the radeon 8500 or geforce 3 ti 200 or ti500 .. or the geforce 4 *shrugs*

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by xxsk8er101xx on 12/11/01 12:47 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

Hmmm. Sorry I joined this post late. ATIs Radeon(either version) are better for DVDs than the Geforce2mx. It was reviewed as such and I have first hand experience. I've recently given my bro a Radeon to replace his MX and the difference is noticeable.

oh i know i thought about that and looked at them. They were 100 bucks and more! i couldn't do that. even 80 is too much.

only thing i saw for my price range was the radeon 7200 but it had no tv out!

there was this though:

"ATI RADEON VE 32MB DUAL VGA DISPLAY WITH DVI - OEM with DVI. with 2 VGA Out and one TV Out 4X AGP The RADEON VE chip features a highly integrated display architecture including two integrated DACs and CRT controllers, integrated support for DVI (Digital Flat Panel) resolutions up to 1600 x 1200 and integrated TV-Out. (no S-video to Composite cable, NO DVI to VGA connector!) Fedex Saver $55.00"

i didn't see that *shrugs* oh well if it doesn't work well i'll just ship it back and get that.

we'll see though...

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

vigraph

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2003
I agree on the r8500 oem/le , it can be overclocked from it's stock 230/230 up to about 260/260 and even higher with
the voltage mod using the "pencil trick". On an athlon xp 1900+ based system I get about 9000 in 3d mark 2001Se, it can be had very cheap in Canada around $135CDN.