Some crazy problems

Drexel

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2002
There are a couple of things that my computer is doing, but I dont like it. Occasionally my computer will freeze for nothing, and I dont know why, but it does, even with no programs running.

Next is that it cannot run 3DMarks. During the first Car Chase on low detail it will freeze up and close the program, no errors not nothing... oh yeah, and im getting 30fps before it happens (that might be cause my video is just slow)

I have gotted this next one like 2 or 3 times. I got a blue screen that tells me something is wrong, and it doesnt know what. It says possible caching and shadowing problem in on paragraph. At the end it will say its dumping physical memory and counts to 100, slowly, then the computer resets. The technical information is as follows:
STOP: 0x0000008E (0xc000000g, OxBF9fIBD4, so on)
nv4_disp.dll - Address BF9FIBD4 base at BF9BB000, Datestamp 3dbob807
I know you guys probably dont know about that address stuff, but it mentions the nv4_disp.dll. I did a search on this, and I have a couple verions of it.

I dont have an extra video card to swap, so if anyone know what else i can do, or check. Some thing maybe in BIOS or reinstalling detonator drivers?

Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP (SP1)
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) @ 1.40 GHz
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 256
Total Physical Memory: 768 MB PC133
Motherboard: Tyan S2390B Trinity KT-A
Motherboard Model: 8363A-686B

Ghostdog

Distinguished
May 28, 2002
This is sort of cliché question, but still, what PSU do you have?

I´ve been having the same freezing-for-no-reason type of error since I upgraded from a 500mhz PIII to a AXP1800+ with DDR. Since freezing-type of errors are often caused by a low-end/not poerfull enough power-suply, I´m hoping the new 550 watt QTec will help.

<font color=red>I´m starting to feel like a real computer consultant.</font color=red>

RobertNKC

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2002
Looks like the freeze is due to a video driver problem. Have you tried loading reference drivers from Nvidia? I got around the same problem by doing that on an old system with a Riva TNT card.

Drexel

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2002
I got a 300 I believe, and I think that could be a cause, since I have almost all pci slots full. But the nv4_disp.dll is buggin me.

Drexel

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2002
Yeah, I might wanna try that, but i have a lot of those files like nv4_disp.dll then nv4_disp(2).dll and nv4_disp(3).dll stuff like that

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
Maybe you should remove all of your display drivers and then start again, I dont think you should have copies of files like that. If that doesnt work, you could reinstall your OS.

Drexel

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2002
Yeah, hey two things. (1) How do I totally remove _all_ the drivers? Would that detonator destroyer work? Or would it work only on one copy of it. (2) When you say reinstall OS, do you mean just reinstall and keep all my stuff, or do the whole reformat thing? Right now I have a lot of stuff I want to keep, and I dont have a hard copy of XP, it was upgrade files from my college (free xp pro.. woo) I can put it on cd, but I think it might only be an upgrade, not sure, ill ask my friend and find out. (sorry about that, little long winded and off track)

GeneticWeapon

Splendid
Jan 13, 2003
Detonator Destroyer will remove some but not all of the driver files, you can search your win/system32 files for traces starting with NV**, but that stiil could get poor yields. If it were me, I would re-install windows XP after a complete format. If this problem is really getting to you the way you say it is, I believe that it is the best answer..

Craig M