raven_warsong

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010
Hi every one thanks for taking the time to read my post. I know there a few live boot utilities out there. UBCD for windows is a good one. That's more based on a windows xp build is it not?
I know there is a program put out by Microsoft that will let you do a live boot but they are custom builds with no utilities.
Can anyone suggest something for system recoveries/ trouble shooting?

Solution
Awesome find raven! I've added it to the Windows 7 Common Questions thread. Thanks for sharing it!

Edit: Found it was also in one of the links in question 9 of that thread contributed by Scotteq, but I had no idea it was there, and it was buried under a couple of links before I found the page. Regardless, thanks for posting it in plain sight for everyone.

It's probably better to post details of the problem becayuse every type needs a different approach. Many Linux systems operate in LiveCD format which allow access to Windows systems so that files be saved out to external drives. You can download RC.iso from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com and use Microsoft's own Recovery Console for certain problems.

What's actually wrong in your system?
[/#000ff]

number13

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
Acronis and Hirens made diagnostic/troubleshooting CD's as well, and if you do any kind of computer work they should be in your tool box, I have every kind of T/S software and even some hardware, you can't have enough, but as for one's own PC, a backup is the most important, followed by the best A/V you can get( NOT Norton or McCafee), my third line of defense is WinPatrol, it monitors the system real time to watch for file changes, to me a very necessary tool

I agree there, Number 13, but hesitate to post it because some Fora regard it as containing an unlicenced version of XP and I'm not sure of Tom's position on this one. Perhaps a Mod would pop in and advise.

I've long believed Pankhar and Hiren would have been put out of business and into Bankruptcy if Micro$oft had felt that strongly about it so it may be safe to assume some form of compromise has been reached but I know of places where a very dim view is taken of posting the very name. :(

Anyone?

number13

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
Saga Lout: I didn't know that about Hirens, but I do agree that if there was some sort of "mischeif" there, MSFT would have jumped down their throat long ago.
Also there are 2 versions of The Ultimate Boot CD one is Linux based(UBCD) and the other is for Windows(UBCD4Win), I have always used the UBCD Linux version and boot from it to do any diagnostic work, but I do have UBCD4Win also just in case

raven_warsong

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010
I don't have any system problems. I just need to know whats out there. I use UBCD for a 0 fill on hard-drives that works great. UBCD4Win is OK but its dated. From what I read it will not work under a windows 7 built
There are a lot of Linux live boot programs that would do job of system\file recovery. I can say with some certainty despite Linux using a GUI there are Things I don't know. For example some times the drive will not auto mount on a NTFS partition. Thanks for taking the time to ready my post.

While you're here, Prophecy, could we have a Moderator's ruling on the posting of Hirens?[/#000ff]

I did a quick search on it, and it appears the Hiren's disk still contains pirated copies of some applications (I was already aware that older versions of the disk had pirated software on them). Until all pirated software is dropped from the disk or changed to any existing freeware versions, please do not recommend it to anyone.

If necessary, The Ultimate Boot CD is a good alternative.

I feared that may still be the case. One is much obliged and will, of course, comply. ;)