Video Card recommendations?

Hi all,
I'm getting the upgrade bug. Currently my video card is a Geforce 2 Ti 64 mb DDR card. I play a few games in addition to Links...RTCW and MOHAA and more recently 007 Nightfire so the card is getting a workout. My system is a Athlon XP 1600+, 512 DDR memory on a MSI K7T266 Pro 2 motherboard.
Any video recommendations that would make a worthwhile difference? As I am somewhat frugal (not to mention I have to keep this "under the radar"...lol), I am interested in the sweet spot between price and performance not the absolute bleeding edge for mega dollars.
Any advice?
Thx
Gary
14 answers Last reply
More about video card recommendations
  1. I've found that the best card for a balance of preformance and price to be a GeForce 3 TI 500. It plays all the games well with quite good FPS.
  2. Get a 64 MB Radeon 8500 (not LE) or 64 MB GeForce4 Ti4200. The Ti4200 should be faster than Radeon 8500 in your system.

Let us know <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=25703#25703" target="_new"> What File compression format you use? </A>
  3. Another option would be the Radeon 9500 Pro. It's a bit expensive but it's performance comes in just between a GF4 Ti 4400 and a Ti 4600.

--------------
    Knowan likes you. Knowan is your friend. Knowan thinks you're great.
  4. Yes, Radeon 9500 Pro is the best upgrade. Full DX9 support, 2x better Anti-Aliasing performance than Ti4600

Let us know <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=25703#25703" target="_new"> What File compression format you use? </A>
  5. I just bought the Abit Ti4200 card (128MB) and it performs very well. The best part is that it can be had for about $175.00, whereas the ATI 9500 Pro runs about $250-300, I think. By your post it seems to me that you don't really want to spend that much $$$...so look into the Ti4200 or Ti4400 cards, as well as the ATI 9000, 9000 Pro, 9500, and 9500 Pro.

I know...that's a lot of cards. Note that if DX9 is a concern then you do need to go with one of the ATI cards.
  6. WOW! I'm an Old Hand now!
  7. Actually the 9500pro is faster than the ti4600 and is priced between $180-$220 depending on where you look. I'm actually about to get one. I have one question though, is the saphire card as good as the retail ati card? Will i have to download saphire drivers if i get that card?
  8. I too am planning on upgrading to the 9500pro from a GF2 MX 400 64mb. While the benchmarks are for some reason varied, they all do confirm that it does beat the Ti4600 at high resolutions and/or when AA and/or Ansio is enabled. Seeing as how the hardware is more future-proof as well as its price tag being usually $30 - $50 cheaper than the Ti4600, it is definatly a good buy.

Quote:
    I have one question though, is the saphire card as good as the retail ati card? Will i have to download saphire drivers if i get that card?

For some reason, information is hard to come by about the OEMs, so I can't really help you there. And also because this will be my first ATI card, I am unsure about OEM drivers. I know with Nvidia cards you can use their drivers for any card (retail or OEM) so I would assume you could with ATI also.

<font color=red> Remember, there is no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people. </font color=red> :wink:
  9. I am just using ATI reference driveres downloaded off the ATI site for my gigabyte Radeon 9000. I Just follow the link on the ATI site that says powered by ATI not made by ATI. Select radeon 9000 and drivers.
    AREA_51
  10. Well they were out of stock of the Saphire one so I went with the retail version. Now the waiting begins.....
  11. Well they were out of stock of the Saphire one so I went with the retail version. Now the waiting begins.....
  12. Spitfire doesnt know what he is talking about when it comes to the Radeon 8500LE, If you get the Built by ATI model, it comes 250/275 right outa the box, with 3.3ns memory. At christmas time they were $79.00 here in california....I bought one....I am running it at 290/300 with properly installed ramsinks and getting much higher 3D Marks than the factory 8500. Being an "OLD HAND" doesnt mean you are necessarilly up to date.

Craig M
  13. Actually he does. ATI doesnt' make 8500's any more, their OEM partner is Saphire, who makes an identicle card, except at various speeds from 250/250 all the way down to 230/200. The 128MB with 200MHz memory clock is running 5ns memory which can't be significantly upgraded. So you got an early card, consider yourself lucky.

I think Hercules also made a 250/275 LE.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
  14. In same situation as gymscat. I am running a 800 Duron, 256 PC-133 RAM and a ASUS A7PRO (VIA KT-133) Right now i am using a GF2MX400-64MB

I pretty much want a card which will play all recent games at 1024x768 with all the fancy crap on.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards DDR Graphics