9500 pro happenings

Squints

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2001
In hardware manager my 9500 pro comes up twice. One is 9500pro and one is 9500pro secondary. Is this normal? Also I sometimes get lines going up or down the screen, they are very very light and look kind of like getting bad tv reception. I got some artifacting in the raven shield demo too. My pc also froze twice (but it wasnt in a game) and wouldnt load windows untill i ran in safe mode and restarted. Could these things be caused by drivers? Because I didnt reformat after switching 3d cards. I thought it may be my power supply (because of the freezes) or overheating (because of the artifacts in RvS demo) but i'm able to run all my other games without artifacting and its never frozen during a game.

halkebul

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2002
Some folks, with respect to this issue, have uninstalled both drivers then downloaded and installed the latest catalyst drivers and control panel. Reboot the machine.

<i>It's your world kid!!!</i>

Squints

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2001
So that will get rid of the double radeon display adapters? What about the light lines going up and down the screen, is that related?

rubikian

Distinguished
May 20, 2002
I guess everyone gone to bed by now...

By the way, that will remove the 2 display adapter and the scan lines, might be due to refresh rate. Not sure though...

Squints

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2001
I did a fresh install of windows and installed the latest catalyst 3.0 + dX9. I'm still getting the double display adapters and the light scan lines. Its weird, it shows the second one as being a PCI card??!!! Anyone else get this problem?

Squints

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2001
Ok, the scan lines was a quick fix by switching the refresh rates from 75 to 72, thank you :) . I'm still getting the second display adapter but its mostly just annoying me.

Squints

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2001
I tried UT2k3 now and I got a HUGE boost in performance. That reformat really helped. Before I was only able to play with everything on normal besides character detail (high). Now I'm running with everything at its highest and its running much better than before. The double display adapters are still there but someone on the rage3d forum said its supposed to be like that because it has 2 RAMDACS. Can anyone comfirm this?

Squints

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2001
AaaCK! I'm getting a lot more freezes now. I'm thinking its a power supply problem but I'm not sure. The weird thing is that most crashes are NOT in games (only crashed once during game). And when it crashes and I restart, windows wont load anymore. I have to wait a while before it works again and it works. I also suspect its my power supply because I got the blue screen of death that was literally just a blue screen. I have an Allied 300w PS running this sytem:
Athlon t-bird 1ghz
2x128MB DDR 2100
Radeon 9500pro 128mb
20gig 5200rpm HDD
SB live xgamer
cd-rom
floppy
nic

Is 300w not enough? Or is my PS crappy quality? I bought it with a barebones system and now I see that its 20 bucks NEW. That cant be good. BTW Are any of these good brands:
Robantan 400w - $49.99
PowMax 400w - $59.99
Kingwin 350w - $59.99

I know antec and enermax are recommended brands but they are WAAAY more expensive.

Squints

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2001
I checked the combined wattage rating and its only 160w. Is'nt 230w standard? Gonna go get a new one tomorrow. I really hope it fixes the problems because UT2k3 is running really smooth at the highest settings.

Squints

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2001
So I got a new 400w power supply and I still get the freezing. Everytime it freezes windows wont load up again. I found that if i go to safe mode then restart, it will load again. I usually get messages saying something like "the radeon 9700/9500 sereis could not complete a drawing operation" and they usually point to ati2dag.dll . Coul it be just some really bad drivers? or Could it be a defective card? As I said earlier I get interference lines when I use certain refresh rates. Could that be a sign of a bad card?

hartski

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2002
My AIW 9700 Pro displays 2 videocards too. A secondary is there and it's PCI also. I guess it's normal then. And that guy at rage3d forums must be right.

Squints

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2001
I have a question. How stable are the votlages supposed to be? You know where you can check in the bios and it says the +5.0v and +12.0v and others ? Well how stable should those be? I'm geting readings like this as an example:

+12.0v will jump between 12.410 and 12.349
-5.0v will jump between -5.277, -5.327

and all of them jump like this not just the two above..

I ask because my parents and my freinds computers are much more stable (most will only jump by .01 ) Can anyone please check yours and see how stable it is, your help is appreciated!!!!

I really want to get this card working stable with my system, I'm very impressed with it when I'm not getting crashes!

Squints

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2001
I just bought a Antec 350w power supply and I'm getting the exact same problems with the random freezing. Is it time to return this thing? Is there an issue with my motherboard? are the drivers that crappy? or did i get a defective card?

Should I get a replacement or get my money back?

My motherboard is a MSI 6380le.

Daikaiju

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2002
I was getingt the same problem.... but my card is the Radeon 8500 (currently, will be going to the 9500 Pro in about 2 weeks). I'm convinced the problem is due to the Catalyst 3.0 drivers. They simply aren't very good and made me wish i hadn't downloaded DX9. Uninstall those drivers and reinstall the 2.5's. My constant crashing (always during games) ended when i did that.

Squints

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2001
Yeah i've tried that. How did your computer crash? did you ever get blue screens of death with no messages on it, just a blue screen? And why would it crash for me in windows (not in a game) and then when i restart it will say "the device failded to complete a drawing operation"

Can a defective card work at its full potential but still crash at random(even in windows)? Or is that driver related?

Evl_Gunner

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2002
halkebul right
Disable the second driver using the device manager. Then reboot the machine.
if that does not work out
clean it all up and start over then

go here . http://www.sgi.com/software/opengl/ download the Glsetup.exe
GLSetup OpenGL Driver Installer
(i used file version 1.0.0.121)

dont use the Catalyst 3.0 drivers

agp 2x mode=3.3 volts
agp 4x mode=1.5 ?
bios changes this automaticly

Squints

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2001
Well I think I narrowed it down to the Via 4in1 drivers, I kept following the "recommended" installation instructions and I always installed the latest 4in1's since they got the agp drivers in it. After many reformats I decided to not install any 4in1's and it hasnt crashed so far, but I havent played too much. Tomorrow is the big test, we networked a couple of computers and we're gonna play all day. I'll post the results tomorrow.

Squints

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2001
btw can you believe I bought NOLF2 for 14.99 NEW at Fry's? And they even gave me a $10 mail-in-rebate! I'm running it at the highest settings and it looks purty. I really hope I fixed my stability problems.