What's nVIdia doing?

heffeque

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2002
Here is my question.
I've seen revews of the new 42.01 detonator drivers <font color=red> just for XP </font color=red>. And it seems that they support DX9. That would be great because I downloaded some programmes that are only for DX9 and they don't work with my actual 41.09 drivers.
My questions are:

+Why aren't the newest drivers in nVidia's official web page?
+Are the're only going to be DX9 drivers for XP or what?

:mad:

williamc

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
They are for both win xp and win 2k, they're available on the www.guru3d.com website in .rar compressed format. They have support for DX9. I'm using them with it now.

Windows is like a house of cards... One wrong move and it all comes crashing down.

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
like always, companies start to make everything for a newer OS and phase out the older ones. even though lots of people still happy with the older OS and would want to keep using it, but I guess it's one way to force people to change and dish out the money for the newer. make me feel like some companies tell others to do that just so they can make more money. not naming names :wink:

but anyway, this post did not help you at all. sorry

p.s. if you think about it, there are no new OS's since 98se and NT, ME was the dumbest release (more like a try to make more money by a fixed up 98SE (guess bugs were the add-ons), but that didn't work out well) and XP is nothing but a fixed up NT (which was not made for regular home users the first place).

I doubt they're going to come up with anything brand new, so far all releases are fixed up versions of old ones under a different name/look.

<b><font color=blue>Press 1 if you want to be on hold, 2 for disconnect, 3 for a representative who will put you on hold before disconnecting.</font color=blue></b>

knowan

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
but I guess it's one way to force people to change and dish out the money for the newer. make me feel like some companies tell others to do that just so they can make more money. not naming names

That's exactly it. Microsoft will only support their last 3 OS's, which right now is ME, 2k and XP. In order for the drivers to get Microsoft certification the drivers have to meet these specifications AND NO OTHER. If the company (nVidia or ATI) loses MS certification then their costs explode.

That's also ther reason why I'm worried about MS's next OS. I get the feeling that it will be pushed out the door as quickly as possible in order to end support for the 95 based OS's in order to save money on their support staff training.

if you think about it, there are no new OS's since 98se and NT, ME was the dumbest release (more like a try to make more money by a fixed up 98SE (guess bugs were the add-ons), but that didn't work out well) and XP is nothing but a fixed up NT.

I'm willing to consider 2k and XP as being different from NT. As I see it there have been 5 MS OS's: DOS, Win 3.1 (really just a shell for DOS, but I'll give them the benifit of the doubt), Win 95, Win NT (Where they finally got rid of DOS) and Win 2k.

--------------
Knowan likes you. Knowan is your friend. Knowan thinks you're great.

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
I heard they extended the warrenty period for 9x for another 3 years.

-Jeremy

:evil: <A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=5341387" target="_new">Busting Sh@t Up!!!</A> :evil:

Dark_Archonis

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2002
Umm, these reviews are <b>leaked</b> drivers. BTW, Nvidia's software team is currently puttting the finishing touches on the "final version" of the Detonator 40 drivers. As you may or may not know, the Detonator 40's are still BETA drivers.

- - -
<font color=green>Ignorance is bliss...isn't it (especially if you're a fanboy)?</font color=green>
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Dark_Archonis on 12/30/02 08:43 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
40.72 was WHQL certified

Let us know what is the Best Chipset of 2002 in your eye.<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=26410#26410" target="_new"> Click </A>

Dark_Archonis

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2002
And...

Does that suddenly make it a FINAL driver release? No.

People must understand that WHQL certification does not mean the driver is a final version. It simply means that it has been tested with Windows hardware (and some software). This means that Microsoft tests the drivers with alot of it's products, and a few other products form major brands to ensure compatibility and stability. WHQL testing is not designed to test the overall stability of the driver, or the stability of the driver in a variety of configurations or situations. The main purpose of WHQL is to simply test driver compatibility with Windows.

- - -
<font color=green>Ignorance is bliss...isn't it (especially if you're a fanboy)?</font color=green>

heffeque

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2002
Just downloaded the 41.80b for wni 9x/Me.
Lets see how they run.

PII 266
128+128 PC66 ECC
GeForce2 MX 32MB
4+3 GB HD
Benq 56x
TDK 12x 10x 32x
ISA Sound card (Now that's old! :wink: )
Windows 98SE (System too slow for XP)

hartski

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2002
I believe even though you are using DX9 you're videocard will not be able to fully use DX9 if it is only made on DX8. The hardware itself is only DX8. I installed the DX9 drivers with an R8500 128MB but when I ran the DX9 demos from ATI I got an error for incompatibilities.

Dark_Archonis

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2002
Not necessarily. The final Detonator 40 driver release will have FULL DirectX 9 support. And also, the Detonator 40's have a Cg/NV30 emulator, which can emulate DirectX 9 features.

- - -
<font color=green>Ignorance is bliss...isn't it (especially if you're a fanboy)?

"... In the semiconductor industry, it's good to be paranoid ..." - [Andy Grove]</font color=green>

heffeque

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2002
I believe even though you are using DX9 you're videocard will not be able to fully use DX9 if it is only made on DX8. The hardware itself is only DX8. I installed the DX9 drivers with an R8500 128MB but when I ran the DX9 demos from ATI I got an error for incompatibilities
Befor my cousin gave me his GF2MX, I had a ATI Rage IIc (that is DX 6 compatible) and ran DX 8 games,
slowly :tongue: , but it ran them.
If a card is fully DX 9 compatible means that it's hardware does <font color=blue> everything </font color=blue> and it doesn't load the CPU with more calculations. To use DX 9 completly you need the <font color=red> drivers </font color=red> to run them, otherwise you're lost.

The error the ATI demo gave you is because it is <font color=blue> only </font color=blue> for 9700 and 9500 because of some vertex shadder or something that is unique in these.

PII 266
128+128 PC66 ECC
GeForce2 MX 32MB
4+3 GB HD
Benq 56x
TDK 12x 10x 32x
ISA Sound card (Now that's old! :wink: )
Windows 98SE (System too slow for XP)

davepermen

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2002
the final detonator drivers will only have full dx9 support for the geforceFX, as no other nvidia hw is capable of supporting dx9 fully. only the radeon9700 and the radeon9500 are currently able to expose all dx9 features.

"take a look around" - limp bizkit

www.google.com