Dimension 8400 leaf blower -sorted!

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

"John" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:...
> Dell are uplifting my machine next week.
>
> After doing all their 'tests' they say it's the CPU fan at fault.
>
> I'd agree. I think part of the problem is that the green shround is
> touching
> the heatsink and this may be what's causing part of the noise.
>

> Either way, there's no getting away from the fact that the CPU fan is VERY
> noisy with changing pitches.
>
> CPU fan:
> Model: AFC 091 2DE
>
> Part number: P2780

Got my PC back today. Very quick turnaround (less than 5 working days).

And it is DEAD quiet! I'm very pleased wih it now.

The engineer's report simply says "Replaced processor fan".

I'm amazed at the difference.

> "John" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:...
>> Dell are uplifting my machine next week.
>>
>> After doing all their 'tests' they say it's the CPU fan at fault.
>>
>> I'd agree. I think part of the problem is that the green shround is
>> touching
>> the heatsink and this may be what's causing part of the noise.
>>

>> Either way, there's no getting away from the fact that the CPU fan is
>> VERY
>> noisy with changing pitches.
>>
>> CPU fan:
>> Model: AFC 091 2DE
>>
>> Part number: P2780
>

> Got my PC back today. Very quick turnaround (less than 5 working days).
>

> And it is DEAD quiet! I'm very pleased wih it now.
>
> The engineer's report simply says "Replaced processor fan".
>

> I'm amazed at the difference.

So now, if I've kept up correctly, we have (1) fixed by a replacement CPU
fan, (1) fixed by flashing the BIOS to version A03, and (1) fixed by turning
off all power (saving) management features in BIOS.

Interesting.

Stew

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

> "John" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
>> "John" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:...
>>> Dell are uplifting my machine next week.
>>>
>>> After doing all their 'tests' they say it's the CPU fan at fault.
>>>
>>> I'd agree. I think part of the problem is that the green shround is
>>> touching
>>> the heatsink and this may be what's causing part of the noise.
>>>

>>> Either way, there's no getting away from the fact that the CPU fan is
>>> VERY
>>> noisy with changing pitches.
>>>
>>> CPU fan:
>>> Model: AFC 091 2DE
>>>
>>> Part number: P2780
>>

>> Got my PC back today. Very quick turnaround (less than 5 working days).
>>

>> And it is DEAD quiet! I'm very pleased wih it now.
>>
>> The engineer's report simply says "Replaced processor fan".
>>

>> I'm amazed at the difference.
>>

> So now, if I've kept up correctly, we have (1) fixed by a replacement CPU
> fan, (1) fixed by flashing the BIOS to version A03, and (1) fixed by
> turning off all power (saving) management features in BIOS.
>
> Interesting.

Interesting perhaps, but there is no way the noise from my PC was due A02/3
BIOS or rubbing it with lucky crystals.

Definitely 100% a faulty CPU fan.

"S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:<Dxmrd.3668

> So now, if I've kept up correctly, we have (1) fixed by a replacement CPU
> fan, (1) fixed by flashing the BIOS to version A03, and (1) fixed by turning
> off all power (saving) management features in BIOS.
>
> Interesting.

Hi Stew,
sorry, but my information - change the BIOS from A02 to A03, and the
fan is still - was not correct !
With A02, my fan was very loud during the power on sequence,
afterwards it became quieter.
With A03, only the power on problems were repaired, afterwards a
little little bit quieter - but not enough !

By the way, i read the posting about "fixed by turning off all power
(saving) management features in BIOS" - since then I made that, my
STANDBYMODE in XP works not correct. If XP is going in STANDBYMODE the
fans are still running !?!
Nothing i can do, to fixed the new problem ....

.... Piet.

"Peter Richter" <prweb@arcor.de> wrote in message
> "S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:<Dxmrd.3668
>>
>> So now, if I've kept up correctly, we have (1) fixed by a replacement CPU
>> fan, (1) fixed by flashing the BIOS to version A03, and (1) fixed by
>> turning
>> off all power (saving) management features in BIOS.
>>
>> Interesting.
>>

> Hi Stew,
> sorry, but my information - change the BIOS from A02 to A03, and the
> fan is still - was not correct !
> With A02, my fan was very loud during the power on sequence,
> afterwards it became quieter.
> With A03, only the power on problems were repaired, afterwards a
> little little bit quieter - but not enough !
>
> By the way, i read the posting about "fixed by turning off all power
> (saving) management features in BIOS" - since then I made that, my
> STANDBYMODE in XP works not correct. If XP is going in STANDBYMODE the
> fans are still running !?!
> Nothing i can do, to fixed the new problem ....
>
> ... Piet.

If I understand your new problem correctly (fans running in standby), it
seems some old posts had referred to and solved that problem by entering
device manager and disabling the mouse/keyboard properties by unchecking
"allow this device to bring computer out of standby".

That, of course, creates another issue of having to power up the machine
rather than being able to wake it with kb/mouse.....

If memory serves me correctly.

Stew

---- snip

> If I understand your new problem correctly (fans running in standby), it
> seems some old posts had referred to and solved that problem by entering
> device manager and disabling the mouse/keyboard properties by unchecking
> "allow this device to bring computer out of standby".
>
> That, of course, creates another issue of having to power up the machine
> rather than being able to wake it with kb/mouse.....
>
> If memory serves me correctly.
>

> Stew

Hi Stew,
very strangely - before I changed from s3 to s1, the system goes to
sleep - including the fans (in XP Standby-Mode)!
I changed from s3 to s1, the system goes to sleep, the fans are
running and I can open the DVD-Drive, OK - S1 is not the "conserve
more power mode" -
And now, I changed it back to s3 - no change???
Bring the system in standby - the fans are still running. I´m not be
able to bring the system in the state before it was changed from s3 to
s1!!
Very strangely - never change a running system .....

Piet.