Is Norton360 incompatibile with windos7

merryna

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010
Hello,
Hello, I'm trying to install Norton360 on Windows7 and I get "incompatible". How do I solve that problem? Thanks!

chiller

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2007
agree with above comments, Norton360 is pretty awful. I uninstalled it off a friends machine, installed antivir and Superantispyware and could not believe the number of virus's, trojans etc found ... bin it, its useless. Machine is nice and clean now :)

rattman169

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
you may also have a 32bit version and trying to install in a 64bit OS or vice versa, but Norton has improved over the year, I still would recommend another Security suite. I use Eset Smart Security and it updates itself all the time to ensure full protection, have not had 1 issue, scans files before they are downloaded to PC, prevents spyware/malware from entering PC by stopping malicious scripts, scans emails... Also Gdata makes an unbelievable Cloud Antivirus Suite which allows multiple Anti-virii programs to work simutaniously so as to be more affective in stopping everything. either way, I would suggest an alternative (also avoid McAfee).

rattman169

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
your telling me Sam, after the big issue with an update a while back, it shut down our company for like 4 hours, no pc's would start, me and 4 "TECHs" had to ghost all the workstations to get them up and running, and there were like 400 PC's that went down, director of operations said that there was about a $1,000,000 loss for downtime.

Symantec's consumer oriented Norton Antivirus and Norton Internet Security 2010 (and soon to be 2011) products are actually quite good. Their virus definition writers have screwed up once or twice, but so have the teams at Mcafee and Trend Micro.

I do have to agree with the above posters though. Norton 360 isn't that great. I see it as more of a useless product than simply a crappy product. Everything that Norton 360 does is also done by one (or more) of their other products.

Most Norton security applications are no longer memory hogs. Norton 360 is one of them. Try using a recent version before you comment.

sambamuel

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2010
It might not be a memory hog, but it's still not worth your time, effort or money, because you'll only end up realising (and for alot of people this is lter rather than sooner) that if you get another Anti Virus, it will locate things that Norton Anti Virus has nightmares about.

AVG free is a prime example, Okay, it's not the best in the world, but what do you expect from a free program?

AVG locates all the viruses norton locates, and "vaults" them, for you decision on what to do with them, and then it finds even more!

Just, don't use norton, until someone ... Good, overtakes the company.

rolfmaomachizlin

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010

ok yes maybe i was a little too fast while writing my comment, i agree that norton security 2010 is fine.

I disagree. There is no such thing as a best antivirus program. It's a matter of personal preference. I absolutely love VIPRE Antivirus from Sunbelt Software, but a number of people I work with don't seem to care for it at all. They either already have antivirus suites that they currently use, or they don't use antivirus programs altogether. I could probably go without one myself, but I am of the opinion that one can never really be too careful.

A higher detection rate does not equal less viruses. I've used Kaspersky before and found there were too many false positive detections.

rattman169

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
Well that there is the biggie, everyone has a personal preference, I actually have used many of the more popular brands myself and will say ran Norton Corporate edition of Anti-virus for a long time with no major issues with any of my PC's, but when I went with windows 7 I needed something that wouldn't be a memory hog and I wanted the whole security suite. I had heard from many of the clients I had that Nod32 was amazing, and I am more or less the type that says if it ain't broke, don't fix it. So I was afraid to change, i tried it anyway and noticed the memory usage difference and the quality of the product, so I have the full smart security suite. I do like Norton, but only certain softwares from them (norton 360 screwed up my neighbors laptop and he was P.O'd) He uses Avira now and is more content. So it is user preferred when choosing and if that is what he wants then he should use it, but always see if something better is out there. I found several but content with what I have. have a good one everyone.