GeForce2 32MB MX400 twinview

wonderboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2002
Hi all
I have a weird problem with my graphic card and hope that you guys have some answers for me. Here it goes...

Running dual boot on PC ( SuSE 8.1 and XP pro )with following components:
motherboard viakt 133a, ATA/100
Aopen bigtower 300W
Amd Duron 750 Mhz
512 MB sdram 168 pins pc133
and of course graphic card GeForce2 32 MB twinview

The thing is when I start ( boot ) PC I hear some unusual
noise from the PC. First I thought that noise came from power supply but it came from the fan that is located on the Geforce card. Odd ? So odd that it takes a least 4 restarts to boot inn to XP and there is no chance to boot in to SuSE. After a while ( about 3 min ) everything goes normal. During the Unreal game sometimes I hear the same noises but they go away after a few sec ( 15 sec to be precise ). Card is still under a warranty and I should get my money back, but I'm more interested to understand WHY is this happening.

I hope you have some answers for me !
Thanks

Earthdog

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2002
It could be that dust has worn out the fan on the card. If you dont really need a dual boot system Id get rid of one or the other.

Try replacing the fan and giving the entire inside of the case a good clean with compressed air.

If its not broke dont fix it.

wonderboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2002
Are you "for real" guys ? DUST ?
Please excuse my disbelive
but it's hard to understand that dust can couse fan to stop working or to act weird!

Squints

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2001
Once my computer would not even post because a bunch of dust had collected in one spot on my motherboard. At first I thought something was fried, but I saw that clump of dust, cleaned it and all was fine. Its not the definate solution but look into it.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I have seen fans completely stopped up by dust. But you say this is a new card? Probably a loose bearing on the fan, get a replacement.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>