I'm looking for a decent gaming laptop that satisfies the following criteria:
14-15" 1920x1080 screen
~$1800-$2000 (or less of course)
Less than 6.5 lbs
Decent 3 hour battery life for non-gaming use
Decent video card
So far I've found a couple of models but nothing perfect:
Alienware M14x - this looks good but I'd like a 560M rather than a 555M w/ 3 GB RAM, plus the 1600x900 resolution isn't as good as I'd hope.
Origin EON15-S/Clevo P150HM - I can get this with the specs I'd like (560M, 1920x1080 matte screen) however the battery life is supposed to be 100 minutes tops. I'd really like something with better battery life if possible - I know a gaming laptops aren't known for good battery life, but I'd rather compromise a bit on the other specs.
Sager NP8130 from xoticpc - same battery life reservations as above.
Does anyone have any other suggestions? I'm leaning towards the Alienware but I'd really like a higher res screen and/or a better video card if possible.
I put the important stuff above, but here are my responses to the standard questions:
1. What is your budget?
$2000 tops, if the components are right. I would prefer to spend less of course.
2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
3. What screen resolution do you want?
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
5. How much battery life do you need?
3 hours of standard, non gaming use. If I'm going to be gaming I will most likely have the laptop plugged in.
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Modern FPSes in general, RPGs like Fallout: New Vegas, Skyrim. Would like at least medium settings.
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Gaming, web browsing, office work.
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
I'd like a 240 GB+ SSD but I am considering ordering one separately and just getting the lowest hd option.
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. www.alienware.com www.originpc.com www.xoticpc.com
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
Bluray preferred but not essential.
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
As long as the brand has a good reputation for reliability and good support/service I will buy anything.
13. What country do you live in?
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I can't think of anything additional.
no prob Alienware M14x is the best 14" notebook currently available,hope you enjoy it
I'm planning to One of my friends already has one. The only thing that's going to really bug me is that the M14x doesn't have a bluray drive but I ordered the laptop anyway to take advantage of an expiring discount. If I can find a slot loading bluray drive that'll fit I'll add it later. Or I guess there's always the option of an external drive.
Now to find a good deal on a 240+ GB SSD and 8 GB RAM...
Yes you can always get an external drive.
As for SSD,I definitely recommend Crucial M4 256GB(I have one in my rig).It's wicked fast(with the latest firmware) and also is one the trouble-free SSDs available