gainward/winfast/asus, which one?

reapur

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2001
gainward ultra 750xp golden sample
leadtek winfast myvivo
asus V8460 ultra deluxe

They are all fast Ti4600, they all can capture video, they're all well cooled. It seems the gainward has a OC advantage.

Any advice on these cards to help me decide which to get and which to stay away from?

Cheers

frewOFstew

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2001
I believe they are all pretty impressive...same chip different prices, fan and heatsink design; as well as package inclusions. I think I read something about the asus being a little noisier...but that's about it. Someone else with asus may be able to clarify that better than me.

Earthdog

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2002
Ive heard a LOT of really bad stuff on Gainward cards. From the things Ive read they dont overclock as well as other cards can. They also dont offer much in the way of customer support.
Winfast tends to be a little noisier. They OC well too.

Asus Deluxe cards cost a little more because you get the 3D glasses which can be really cool if you have a monitor that supports a refresh rate of 120MHz in the mode in which you choose to play games. Unfortunately the 3D mode doesnt seem to want to work with Windows XP.

Basicly it all comes down to which card has the best package for you. I bought the Asus and have enjoyed playing games in 3D. Some games look better than others but over all I'd say its pretty slick.

All in all the cards are pretty much the same. Its the software and hardware additions that makethe difference.

Whatever card you buy make sure its got a DVI to VGA gender changer. If you get one that doesnt have it and then you decide to run 2 monitors, you'll have to shell out another $10 to $20 for that little piece of hardware.

Asus came with everything I needed though some of the games were a little on the old side.

If its not broke dont fix it.

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
My Gainward Ti4200 is fine. Its quiet, overclocks very well (past ti4400 speeds and almost upto ti4600 speeds because it is the golden edition), it came with the DVBI to VGA adapter, it also came with WinDVD and is on a funky looking red PCB with a funky cooler and ramsinks. Its very stable and fast, nothing wrong with it at all. However it doesnt come with any games (why it was much cheaper than the alternatives) and I have yet to try the customer support because Ive never had any problems. Ive had Gainward cards before and theyve been just as good as this. I would reccomend the Gainward card over the Asus or Winfast

SabreFan

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2002
I have a GeForce3 card not a GF4 but I put alot of research into which GF3 would work best with my Athlon 1.4 gaming system and Gainward came out on top. This was mid 2001 and I am still using this same card with no problems at all. I never had the chance to find out what Gainward's support was like (I consider that a good thing).

If I was buying another nVIDIA card I would consider the Gainward as front runner until I see a reason not to like it!

Just my 2 cents!

Good luck to you, hope you find the right card!

Rubberbband

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2001
I have the Leadtek A250 LE GF4 Ti4200 128Mb My ViVo card. I got it to replace my 8420 Asus because the fan had become intolereably loud. As for video in I had some problems importing VHS videos because a white band would appear across the imported video. I tried updating to Leadtek's latest WDM 1.19 and that didn't help and Nvidi's 1.22 do the same. I found an Asus user's board that recommended WDM driver version 1.08 and they work fine.

The Men Behind the GUNS!

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/viewtopic.php?t=327" target="_new"><b>MY SYSTEM</b></A>

elzt

Distinguished
May 10, 2002
I got the same card as yours but have no problem importing videos. This card comes with all kinds of adapters and cables for its connectors. It's also bundled with the necessary software for video capturing and editing. The bundled games and DVD player are quite outdated though. Nevertheless I am very happy with my winfast card.