Hercules 9000 64 MB PCI

cyberpagan

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2003
Since my computer has a new pentium 1.8G I want to get a card but have no AGP slot. I saw that Hercules has a 64 MB PCI version of the ATI 9000 but I have only seen reviews for the ATI AGP version. Any reviews, buying info on this card will ne appreciated.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Well, PCI sux. The 9000 in PCI will obviously be as fast as any other Radeon/GeForce card, all of them limitted by the PCI factor.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

cyberpagan

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2003
AGP isn't an option, unfortunately. I'm just trying to figure out the best low-mid end GFX solution. I'm lucky enough to have a 400FSB and P4 at this point.

Mloot

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2003
I recently purchased a Herc. 9000 PCI and it was too large to fit in my SFF pc (the PCB was about 4" high and about 8.5" long - it was freaking huge). I had to keep my Powercolor 9000 PCI. Here is a link to a thread that did some comparisons between the PC and Herc. 9000 PCI:

http://forums.sudhian.com/messageview.cfm?catid=33&threadid=27213&highlight_key=y&keyword1=PCI

The only place I found to buy the Herc. card in the U.S. was from Hercules' website. Here's a link to the page where you can get it:

http://www.digitalriver.com/dr/v2/ec_MAIN.Entry10?V1=1038979&PN=1&SP=10034&xid=39634

Digital River is the company that sells the card for Hercules here in the U.S. I had a great experience with them. I had to RMA the card because it was just too large. I sent it back to them by UPS Ground shipping, and 6 days later they had credited back the full $139 back to my credit card. No questions asked and no restocking fee. I had to pay for shipping the card to me and back, but I thought that was fair.

The Hercules card definitely outperforms the Powercolor 9000 PCI card, probably because all evidence points to the conclusion that Powercolor slapped a 64-bit memory interface on their card, while the Herc. card has the 128-bit interface. The only other PCI card that seems to hold its own against the Herc. card is the new AIW VE. Both cards run about the same price, but the AIW has all those other cool features.

Hope this helps.

Mloot

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2003
Do I really...? I'm not sure what you're referring to.

"What kind of memory does it have?" Which card are you referring to, the PC 9000 PCI, the Herc. 9000 PCI, or the AIW VE?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'm certain if you view this thread in threaded mode you'll understand.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>