Give me your most unusual weapon ideas!

Last response: in Video Games
August 11, 2005 4:28:14 PM

I'll keep this short and sweet.

Signature weapons have always had a special place in my heart for me.
Therefore, I am trying to think of odd, unusual weapons (or other
items, if you have any ideas). And for this, I'd like to ask if you
have any ideas.

They can be normal weapons with unusual characteristics (e.g., a flint
knife), or they can be totally bizarre weapons in their own right
(porcupine quills?). They could be odd by their context (a human
specializing in the dwarven urgosh) or ordinary items not meant for
combat (a xbow bolt used for melee, perhaps, or a scalpel out of a
healing kit).

In invite you to let your imaginations run wild. They don't have to be
practical weapons; that's why they'd be so unique. Just throw out
anything at all.

More about : give unusual weapon ideas

Anonymous
August 11, 2005 4:41:38 PM

snikers...@hotmail.com wrote:
> I'll keep this short and sweet.
>
> Signature weapons have always had a special place in my heart for me.
> Therefore, I am trying to think of odd, unusual weapons (or other
> items, if you have any ideas). And for this, I'd like to ask if you
> have any ideas.
>
> They can be normal weapons with unusual characteristics (e.g., a flint
> knife), or they can be totally bizarre weapons in their own right
> (porcupine quills?). They could be odd by their context (a human
> specializing in the dwarven urgosh) or ordinary items not meant for
> combat (a xbow bolt used for melee, perhaps, or a scalpel out of a
> healing kit).

One character of one of my players often threw coins at his enmies,
usually silver incase they were lycanthropes. I think he actually
started it because he was up against some lycanthropes and didn't have
any silver weapons. Of course this was back in the "dinner plate" era
of 1/10 pound coins. I basically considered it like throwing a rock.
d3 damage, 10' range increments. For some strange reason he seemed to
roll 20's whenever he did this (his normal attacks seemed sub par in
comparison). He had a good strength so they actually did good damage,
and I was using crits on backed up 20's back then too.

Then there's always the other fun improvised weapon if you are larger
than your opponents, you pick up the dead body of one of your enemies
and beat them with it. alternately if you are the same size, you just
rip a limb off and beat them with it. Then there's always bowling with
Gnomes.

- Justisaur
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 5:16:40 PM

George W Harris wrote:
> On 11 Aug 2005 12:28:14 -0700, snikers000@hotmail.com wrote:
>
> :
> :Signature weapons have always had a special place in my heart for me.
> :Therefore, I am trying to think of odd, unusual weapons (or other
> :items, if you have any ideas). And for this, I'd like to ask if you
> :have any ideas.

Well, of course this has been done before (R.A. Salvatore's cleric
Cadderly uses one) but I do wonder what the stats for a yo-yo would be
like... I'm not surprised if it's in one of the myriad books out there,
though.

Exotic weapon
Bludgeoning damage
Uses DEX instead of STR to determine whether you hit; adds STR bonus to
damage
Within 5 ft, can use either STR or DEX to modify attack roll (by
holding it in your hand and hitting someone with it).
Range of 10 ft, but threatens AoO only up to 5 ft
1d4 damage, 18-20 crit range
Takes a full round action to wind back up if a natural 1 is rolled.

I figure the low damage is compensated by the reach and the idea that
you can use "weapon finesse" without the feat on a yo-yo. Though...
maybe that's too much compensation. A rogue, for example, would depend
on sneak attack damage and not worry about the weapon's damage to begin
with.

I'd love to see a halfling using a yo-yo... especially a halfling
rogue... that would be interesting.
So whaddaya think?
August 11, 2005 5:18:37 PM

How about a scythe-like double blade on a spiked chain?
A huge club for a large-sized half-ogre?
A kusari-gama with a quarterstaff-sized handle?
Dragonkat
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 5:24:16 PM

Yo-yos? Neat
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 8:05:19 PM

snikers000@hotmail.com wrote:

> In invite you to let your imaginations run wild. They don't have to be
> practical weapons; that's why they'd be so unique. Just throw out
> anything at all.

Juggler's Clubs
Hard Leather Ball
Oar
Holy Water Super Soaker
Acid Super Soaker

MadKaugh
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 9:44:29 PM

snikers000@hotmail.com wrote:

>I'll keep this short and sweet.
>
>Signature weapons have always had a special place in my heart for me.
>Therefore, I am trying to think of odd, unusual weapons (or other
>items, if you have any ideas). And for this, I'd like to ask if you
>have any ideas.
>
>They can be normal weapons with unusual characteristics (e.g., a flint
>knife), or they can be totally bizarre weapons in their own right
>(porcupine quills?). They could be odd by their context (a human
>specializing in the dwarven urgosh) or ordinary items not meant for
>combat (a xbow bolt used for melee, perhaps, or a scalpel out of a
>healing kit).
>
>In invite you to let your imaginations run wild. They don't have to be
>practical weapons; that's why they'd be so unique. Just throw out
>anything at all.

Bladed Boomerang.
Combat Cleaver.
Combat Crowbar.
Dwarven Combat Spade.
Dragon Tooth Pick.
Spiked Throwing Hammer (as in the Olympic style throwing hammer).
Orc Gutblade (based on an agricultural tool).
Dwarven Tunnel Blade.
Hurlbat (actual European throwing weapon).
War Goad.
Orc Bladed Bow.
Dwarven Battle Pick (bladed).
Combat Shears.
Halfling Throwing "Hand".
Shark Tooth Club.
Riflestock War Club.
Combat Wrench.
Gnomish War Pepper Mill.
Dwarven All-thing (double weapon that has Blunt, Piercing and
Slashing elements).
Double Glaive.
Double Halberd.
Double Scythe.
Double Scimitar.
Double Monkey Paw Staff.
Wizard's Combat Staff (tool/weapon design for Mages).
Warhook (based off od a bushhook).
Dwarven Tunnel Spear (all metal design).
Elven Nagamaki.
Githyanki Katana.
Halfling Ankle Sword.
Elven Boarding Axe.
Dwarven Pipe Axe (peace pipe design).
Axe of Sorrow (multi-pointed axe based on a Native American design).
Modular Maul Weapon System.

Contact me if you would like to see illustrations of any of these
designs.

--

Tetsubo
My page: http://home.comcast.net/~tetsubo/

How about a long, hollow stick, with a small net on one end,
and a drawstring on other that can be used to draw the net
tight.

Globes of alchemists fire, holy water, or acid could be placed
in the net.

Upon hitting an opponent with a melee touch attack, the attacker
delivers fire, holy water or acid damage.

Perhaps the net is made out of steel (like chain mail) so it
is more durable.

It takes a full round action to reload the net.
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 11:58:51 PM

On 11 Aug 2005 12:28:14 -0700, snikers000@hotmail.com wrote:

:I'll keep this short and sweet.
:
:Signature weapons have always had a special place in my heart for me.
:Therefore, I am trying to think of odd, unusual weapons (or other
:items, if you have any ideas). And for this, I'd like to ask if you
:have any ideas.

As a precursor or lower-tech version of the
Mercurial Greatsword, the Ball Bearing Greatsword.
A Greatsword with a hollow reservoir in the blade,
partially filled with hundreds of tiny bbs. It gives a -5
Circumstance Penalty to Sneak, but has a 500gp
discount to be enchanted with the Thundering
enchantment. Also, if it's ever sundered everyone
within 15 feet must make a DC19 Reflex save or fall
prone.
--
"If you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce, they taste more like
prunes than rhubarb does" -Groucho Marx

George W. Harris For actual email address, replace each 'u' with an 'i'
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 12:30:01 AM

Iridia <s1416348@cedarville.edu> wrote:
>I'd love to see a halfling using a yo-yo... especially a halfling
>rogue... that would be interesting.

ITYM Flamingo-may...

Donald
August 12, 2005 1:09:16 AM

Alien mind control rays made snikers000@hotmail.com write:
> In invite you to let your imaginations run wild. They don't have to be
> practical weapons; that's why they'd be so unique. Just throw out
> anything at all.

adamantine knuckles (allows a monk to bypass hardness)
auto-bow (as shortbow, but may be used one-handed)
death's dire scythe (double weapon)
shield-on-a-stick (shield bashing with reach)
snake sword (switch between longsword and spiked chain as a swift action)
spiked chain of love (each link is shaped like a heart)
spiked hula hoop (1d4 hp damage, no strength or precision bonus to damage,
grants ability to make whirlwind attacks)
too-big sword of anime (as greatsword, +4 equipment bonus to intimidate)

--
\^\ // drow@bin.sh (CARRIER LOST) <http://www.bin.sh/&gt;
\ // - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

In a dizzying speach from his throne, drow <drow@bin.sh> imparted this
wisdom:
>shield-on-a-stick (shield bashing with reach)

LOL!

>spiked hula hoop (1d4 hp damage, no strength or precision bonus to damage,
> grants ability to make whirlwind attacks)

Hey, this one's *really* cool. There should also be some sort of
effect on AoOs, both those given and received, and anyone entering the
"hula-ing" character's space would risk damage (e.g. from attempting to
grapple).

--

Argentium Helm
Anonymous

"Iridia" <s1416348@cedarville.edu> wrote:

>George W Harris wrote:
>> On 11 Aug 2005 12:28:14 -0700, snikers000@hotmail.com wrote:
>>
>> :
>> :Signature weapons have always had a special place in my heart for me.
>> :Therefore, I am trying to think of odd, unusual weapons (or other
>> :items, if you have any ideas). And for this, I'd like to ask if you
>> :have any ideas.
>
>Well, of course this has been done before (R.A. Salvatore's cleric
>Cadderly uses one) but I do wonder what the stats for a yo-yo would be
>like... I'm not surprised if it's in one of the myriad books out there,
>though.

There's an old anime series called "Fist of the North Star" where one of the female characters had a set of killer yo-yos, which sprouted a series of
blades as they spun. She was quite proficient in slicing and dicing her opponents with them.

Terry
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 1:23:45 PM

snikers000@hotmail.com wrote:
> I'll keep this short and sweet.
>
> Signature weapons have always had a special place in my heart for me.
> Therefore, I am trying to think of odd, unusual weapons (or other
> items, if you have any ideas). And for this, I'd like to ask if you
> have any ideas.
>
> They can be normal weapons with unusual characteristics (e.g., a flint
> knife), or they can be totally bizarre weapons in their own right
> (porcupine quills?). They could be odd by their context (a human
> specializing in the dwarven urgosh) or ordinary items not meant for
> combat (a xbow bolt used for melee, perhaps, or a scalpel out of a
> healing kit).
>
> In invite you to let your imaginations run wild. They don't have to be
> practical weapons; that's why they'd be so unique. Just throw out
> anything at all.

Jade:

http://www.gemstone.org/gem-by-gem/english/jade.html

http://www.travelchinaguide.com/intro/arts/jade.htm

hardness 6.5-7

Not an ideal weapon material, but it has been used and is distinctive.
Performance should be like flint, but a bit better.

In order of suitability:

obsidian (glass) - not crystaline - brittle

flint (or agate) - cryptocrystaline (interlocked microcrystaline) -
tough, for a rock

jade - two minerals, one cryptocrystaline, one with fiberous,
intertwined crystals - very tough, for a rock

None of these will hold up as well as bronze, iron, or steel over time;
mainly because the metals can be sharpened in the field.

MadKaugh
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 1:26:23 PM

Sea Wasp wrote:
> Terry O'Brien wrote:
>
> > There's an old anime series called "Fist of the North Star" where one of the female characters had a set of killer yo-yos, which sprouted a series of
> > blades as they spun. She was quite proficient in slicing and dicing her opponents with them.
>
> Some people don't know it, but the yo-yo TOY was derived from an
> actual weapon.

Is that the same thing as what a bad guy used in the James Bond film
"Octopussy"? It certainly looked like a giant yo-yo with blades.
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 1:29:22 PM

Tetsubo wrote:
> snikers000@hotmail.com wrote:
>
> >I'll keep this short and sweet.
> >
> >Signature weapons have always had a special place in my heart for me.
> >Therefore, I am trying to think of odd, unusual weapons (or other
> >items, if you have any ideas). And for this, I'd like to ask if you
> >have any ideas.
> >
> >They can be normal weapons with unusual characteristics (e.g., a flint
> >knife), or they can be totally bizarre weapons in their own right
> >(porcupine quills?). They could be odd by their context (a human
> >specializing in the dwarven urgosh) or ordinary items not meant for
> >combat (a xbow bolt used for melee, perhaps, or a scalpel out of a
> >healing kit).
> >
> >In invite you to let your imaginations run wild. They don't have to be
> >practical weapons; that's why they'd be so unique. Just throw out
> >anything at all.
> >

> Combat Cleaver.

A cleaver makes a pretty good weapon anyway. I'd probably just stat it
as a hand axe though.

> Combat Crowbar.

Some bonus to sundering armor?

> Dwarven Combat Spade.

Ooh! I love beating up zombies with a shovel in Fistfull of Boomstick.
Poping thier heads off with the underhand swing is fun!

> Dragon Tooth Pick.

Interesting idea. I've had people use dragon teeth as daggers or
swords before.

> Orc Gutblade (based on an agricultural tool).
> Dwarven Tunnel Blade.
> Hurlbat (actual European throwing weapon).
> War Goad.
> Orc Bladed Bow.

Not sure what any of these would be

> Combat Shears.

Probably terribly unwieldy, but I think "Devil May Cry"

> Halfling Throwing "Hand".

Eh what?

> Shark Tooth Club.
> Riflestock War Club.
> Combat Wrench.

Another good tool, probably just stated as a mace, although you could
concievably disarm better with it.

> Gnomish War Pepper Mill.

LOL! That might actually be effective, make it like a morning star on
the bottom and sprinkle pepper on your enemies at the same time. Of
course like most Techno-Gnome inventions it could easily backfire,
getting pepper in your own eyes, and making you sneeze a lot.

> Dwarven All-thing (double weapon that has Blunt, Piercing and
> Slashing elements).

Morning Star on one end, Halberd head on the other?

> Halfling Ankle Sword.
> Elven Boarding Axe.
> Dwarven Pipe Axe (peace pipe design).
> Axe of Sorrow (multi-pointed axe based on a Native American design).
> Modular Maul Weapon System.

Er, what again on all of these.

> Contact me if you would like to see illustrations of any of these
> designs.

That would be cool.

- Justisaur
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 2:21:25 PM

snikers000@hotmail.com wrote:
> I'll keep this short and sweet.
>
> Signature weapons have always had a special place in my heart for me.
> Therefore, I am trying to think of odd, unusual weapons (or other
> items, if you have any ideas). And for this, I'd like to ask if you
> have any ideas.
>
> In invite you to let your imaginations run wild. They don't have to be
> practical weapons; that's why they'd be so unique. Just throw out
> anything at all.

Having just watched "Merlin" last night; "The Singing Sword"

The "Singing" refers to a distinctive twang, but D&D being what it is;

The Singing Sword that sings:

"Achy, Breaky Heart" ... heart seeking

"Sesame Street" ... +1 to knowledge, local navigation

.... off key, always. -4 to friend and foe concentration checks

.... like Slim Whitman. Make fortitude save or stun one round. Martian
heads explode.

"Indiana Jones Theme" ... +1 luck bonus, all saves.

MadKaugh
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 2:42:10 PM

Madkaugh wrote:
> snikers000@hotmail.com wrote:

> In order of suitability:
>
> obsidian (glass) - not crystaline - brittle
>
> flint (or agate) - cryptocrystaline (interlocked microcrystaline) -
> tough, for a rock
>
> jade - two minerals, one cryptocrystaline, one with fiberous,
> intertwined crystals - very tough, for a rock
>
> None of these will hold up as well as bronze, iron, or steel over time;
> mainly because the metals can be sharpened in the field.
>

> MadKaugh

Sorry, I realized that I got that order of suitability backwards.

Add to that, jade is scarce enough to be considered a gemstone. A jade
weapon should be valuable in it's own right.

Flint is fairly common, and is found worldwide. Characters may have a
piece for starting fires. The working characteristics are good, too,
once you have the technique - the rapid one is a strike and cleave,
like gem cutting. Flint nodules should have good trade value to
flint-based economies.

Obsidian is scarcer than flint, tends to be volcanic. Glass is neither
plentiful nor cheap in real-world medieval times.

MadKaugh
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 4:32:12 PM

Terry O'Brien wrote:

> There's an old anime series called "Fist of the North Star" where one of the female characters had a set of killer yo-yos, which sprouted a series of
> blades as they spun. She was quite proficient in slicing and dicing her opponents with them.

Some people don't know it, but the yo-yo TOY was derived from an
actual weapon.

--
Sea Wasp
/^\
;;;
Live Journal: http://www.livejournal.com/users/seawasp/
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 4:32:13 PM

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 12:32:12 GMT, Sea Wasp wrote:

>Terry O'Brien wrote:

[bad wrapping fixed]
>> There's an old anime series called "Fist of the North Star" where one
>> of the female characters had a set of killer yo-yos, which sprouted a
>> series of blades as they spun. She was quite proficient in slicing and
>> dicing her opponents with them.
>
> Some people don't know it, but the yo-yo TOY was derived from an
>actual weapon.

....essentially a rock on a string, which originated in the Philippines
--
auric dot auric at gmail dot com
*****

Two come to mind.

In the Brian Daley novel The Doomfarers of Coramonde, a very minor
character fancies himself something of a duellist. He fights with
two swords, and has had them custom made so they fit in a single
scabbard. One side of each hilt is flattened so they can fit
together. Impractical, I'm sure, but he wasn't the most practical
character in the world anyway.

Doomfarers also had a couple of cool magical swords. The less
flashy one is the one I preferred. Called Bar or Neverdull,
I believe, it's only real enchantment was durability - it
wouldn't break or dull, and that was pretty much it. It had
something of a reputation because its wielders tended to
do very brave things without receiving much acclaim.

My other example comes from my pal Bill Svitavsky. He told
me about an old AD&D game in which a barbarian or fighter
character kept getting chained up in various dungeons. Having
an 18/00 strength, he invariably broke the chains. Then he
always had to beat a bunch of guards to death with the
remnants of the chains around his wrists before he could
find his gear. This got to be so common that eventually he
just gave in and took Weapon Proficiency - Manacles.

Pete
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 5:25:53 PM

Sea Wasp wrote:

> Terry O'Brien wrote:
>
>> There's an old anime series called "Fist of the North Star" where one
>> of the female characters had a set of killer yo-yos, which sprouted a
>> series of
>> blades as they spun. She was quite proficient in slicing and dicing
>> her opponents with them.
>

> Some people don't know it, but the yo-yo TOY was derived from an
> actual weapon.

I always explain it as a primitive epiphany. "I want to throw a rock
at that guy. But then I have no rock... I'll make a returning rock!" :)

--
Tetsubo
My page: http://home.comcast.net/~tetsubo/
--------------------------------------
If fifty million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing.
-- Anatole France
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 5:36:29 PM

Justisaur wrote:

>Tetsubo wrote:
>

>>snikers000@hotmail.com wrote:
>>

>>>I'll keep this short and sweet.
>>>
>>>Signature weapons have always had a special place in my heart for me.
>>>Therefore, I am trying to think of odd, unusual weapons (or other
>>>items, if you have any ideas). And for this, I'd like to ask if you
>>>have any ideas.
>>>
>>>They can be normal weapons with unusual characteristics (e.g., a flint
>>>knife), or they can be totally bizarre weapons in their own right
>>>(porcupine quills?). They could be odd by their context (a human
>>>specializing in the dwarven urgosh) or ordinary items not meant for
>>>combat (a xbow bolt used for melee, perhaps, or a scalpel out of a
>>>healing kit).
>>>
>>>In invite you to let your imaginations run wild. They don't have to be
>>>practical weapons; that's why they'd be so unique. Just throw out
>>>anything at all.
>>>

>> Combat Cleaver.
>>

>A cleaver makes a pretty good weapon anyway. I'd probably just stat it
>as a hand axe though.

I drew it for a player that had a rogue that had a signature cleaver
as a weapon.

>> Combat Crowbar.
>>

>Some bonus to sundering armor?

A tool that could double as a weapon. Again drawn for a player of a
rogue.

>> Dwarven Combat Spade.
>>

>Ooh! I love beating up zombies with a shovel in Fistfull of Boomstick.
> Poping thier heads off with the underhand swing is fun!
>

>> Dragon Tooth Pick.
>>

>Interesting idea. I've had people use dragon teeth as daggers or
>swords before.
>

>> Orc Gutblade (based on an agricultural tool).

Large bladed two-handed weapon with a nasty, signature hook on one
side.

>> Dwarven Tunnel Blade.

Think of a double bitted axe that you slip your arm into.
Essentially you become the weapons shaft.

>> Hurlbat (actual European throwing weapon).

A throwing weapon designed so that any way you throw it, at least
one point hits.

>> War Goad.

Based on an elephant goad.

>> Orc Bladed Bow.

Bow with bladed tips and a hand guard.

>Not sure what any of these would be
>

>> Combat Shears.
>>

>Probably terribly unwieldy, but I think "Devil May Cry"

I don't know the reference. But it is a set of large pincing shears
that is mostly used to intimidate.

>> Halfling Throwing "Hand".
>>

>Eh what?

Think of a very large five-pointed shurikin. The five points give it
the "hand" appearance.

>> Shark Tooth Club.
>> Riflestock War Club.
>> Combat Wrench.
>>

>Another good tool, probably just stated as a mace, although you could
>concievably disarm better with it.

The sort of thing carried by an artificer.

>> Gnomish War Pepper Mill.
>>

>LOL! That might actually be effective, make it like a morning star on
>the bottom and sprinkle pepper on your enemies at the same time. Of
>course like most Techno-Gnome inventions it could easily backfire,
>getting pepper in your own eyes, and making you sneeze a lot.

Yep. Drawn for a player with a Gnome adventurer character.

>> Dwarven All-thing (double weapon that has Blunt, Piercing and
>>Slashing elements).
>>

>Morning Star on one end, Halberd head on the other?

Spear point on one end, weighted Axe on the other.

>> Halfling Ankle Sword.

A curved two-handed Small weapon designed to hamstring Large foes.

>> Elven Boarding Axe.

Boarding axe with a decidedly Elven flair.

>> Dwarven Pipe Axe (peace pipe design).

An axe with a pipe built into it that has that Dwarven look.

>> Axe of Sorrow (multi-pointed axe based on a Native American design).

This one you have to see... :)

>> Modular Maul Weapon System.

A Maul that has multiple, replaceable striking heads. One for
attacking unarmoured foes, one for armour penetration and one for
general labor.

>Er, what again on all of these.
>

>> Contact me if you would like to see illustrations of any of these
>>designs.
>>

>That would be cool.
>
>- Justisaur

Feel free to email me. I could throw together a zipped file if you
have a decent connection. Or send individual files if you desire.

--
Tetsubo
My page: http://home.comcast.net/~tetsubo/
--------------------------------------
If fifty million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing.
-- Anatole France
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 9:02:39 PM

Auric__ wrote:
> On 12 Aug 2005 13:59:13 -0700, Madkaugh wrote:
>
> >Can of Mace - Gnomish invention, sprays lead pellets for 1d6 blugeoning
> >damage, one shot.
>
> Why not just have it spray a literal mace? <g>
> [squirt] >>THUNK<< "ow!"

I like both these. I swear I've heard of the can of mace which flings
a mace when used before.

It reminds me of a favorite "artifact" I had back in 2e days. It was a
buzz mace. You threw it like a club, and it took off like a wire
guided rocket at whoever you targeted, had a firey explosion when it
hit (something like an extra 3d6 damage in 5'r), then returned. It did
have a drawback in that it made a very loud buzzing noise whenever you
used it, and you didn't really want to use it in hand to hand.

- Justisaur
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 9:24:12 PM

On 12 Aug 2005 17:02:39 -0700, Justisaur wrote:

>Auric__ wrote:
>> On 12 Aug 2005 13:59:13 -0700, Madkaugh wrote:
>>
>> >Can of Mace - Gnomish invention, sprays lead pellets for 1d6 blugeoning
>> >damage, one shot.
>>
>> Why not just have it spray a literal mace? <g>
>> [squirt] >>THUNK<< "ow!"
>>

>I like both these. I swear I've heard of the can of mace which flings
>a mace when used before.

I'd've been surprised if nobody else thought of it before.
--
auric dot auric at gmail dot com
*****
The First Myth of Management: It exists.
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 11:34:18 PM

In article <1123864162.937462.181170@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
justisaur@gmail.com says...

> > Dragon Tooth Pick.
>
> Interesting idea. I've had people use dragon teeth as daggers or
> swords before.

But is it a dragontooth pick or a dragon toothpick? Both could
concievably be weapons...

> > Contact me if you would like to see illustrations of any of these
> > designs.
>
> That would be cool.

I second that.

--
Jasin Zujovic
jzujovic@inet.hr

Jasin Zujovic wrote:

>In article <1123864162.937462.181170@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
>justisaur@gmail.com says...
>

>>> Dragon Tooth Pick.
>>>

>>Interesting idea. I've had people use dragon teeth as daggers or
>>swords before.
>>

>But is it a dragontooth pick or a dragon toothpick? Both could
>concievably be weapons...

A pick made from a dragon tooth. :)

--
Tetsubo
My page: http://home.comcast.net/~tetsubo/
--------------------------------------
If fifty million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing.
-- Anatole France
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 1:32:49 AM

Peter Meilinger wrote:
> Two come to mind.
>
> In the Brian Daley novel The Doomfarers of Coramonde, a very minor
> character fancies himself something of a duellist. He fights with
> two swords, and has had them custom made so they fit in a single
> scabbard. One side of each hilt is flattened so they can fit
> together. Impractical, I'm sure, but he wasn't the most practical
> character in the world anyway.
>
> Doomfarers also had a couple of cool magical swords. The less
> flashy one is the one I preferred. Called Bar or Neverdull,
> I believe, it's only real enchantment was durability - it
> wouldn't break or dull, and that was pretty much it. It had
> something of a reputation because its wielders tended to
> do very brave things without receiving much acclaim.

Not quite. Bar or "Never Blunted", wasn't just durable, it was
supernaturally sharp. It cut through heavy armor like cheese. Bar was
a Sword of Sharpness.

I love that series. It also featured the Lord of the Just and Sudden
Reach, "Reacher", who fought with cestus and clawed glove, the mystic
gem Calundronius, which negated magic in its vicinity, the flaming
sword Flarecore, AKA Blazetongue, and a battle between a
fire-breathing dragon and a Vietnam-era Armored Personnel Carrier.

One of my characters used to use the Anai-K'ota, a stafflike weapon
with two crescent-shaped blades (one on each end) which could break
apart at the ends to be a sort of entangling bladed staff.

--
Sea Wasp
/^\
Live Journal: http://www.livejournal.com/users/seawasp/
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 1:44:09 AM

In article <-vWdnUttWcJxRmHfRVn-sQ@comcast.com>, tetsubo@comcast.net
says...

> >> There's an old anime series called "Fist of the North Star" where one
> >> of the female characters had a set of killer yo-yos, which sprouted a
> >> series of
> >> blades as they spun. She was quite proficient in slicing and dicing
> >> her opponents with them.
> >
> > Some people don't know it, but the yo-yo TOY was derived from an
> > actual weapon.
>
> I always explain it as a primitive epiphany. "I want to throw a rock
> at that guy. But then I have no rock... I'll make a returning rock!" :)

Cheapest magic weapon evar. :)

--
Jasin Zujovic
jzujovic@inet.hr

Justisaur <justisaur@gmail.com> wrote:
> Tetsubo wrote:
>>
>> Dwarven Combat Spade.
>
> Ooh! I love beating up zombies with a shovel in Fistfull of Boomstick.
> Poping thier heads off with the underhand swing is fun!

Entrenching tools make really vicious weapons in close fighting. There
are certainly better, but you can do a lot of damage with one, quickly,
if you know how.

>> Combat Wrench.
>
> Another good tool, probably just stated as a mace, although you could
> concievably disarm better with it.

I don't see why. While it may have prongs on the end (used to hold the
nut or bolt) they wouldn't be terribly practical to try to trap a weapon
with. I'd go with club, or maybe mace. It'd take a damn big wrench to
be used as a mace, though -- the mass distribution is closer to that of
a club.

Keith
August 13, 2005 7:35:21 AM

"jcharpak@att.net" <jcharpak@att.net> wrote:

>Sea Wasp wrote:
>> Terry O'Brien wrote:
>>
>> > There's an old anime series called "Fist of the North Star" where one of the female characters had a set of killer yo-yos, which sprouted a series of
>> > blades as they spun. She was quite proficient in slicing and dicing her opponents with them.
>>
>> Some people don't know it, but the yo-yo TOY was derived from an
>> actual weapon.
>>

>Is that the same thing as what a bad guy used in the James Bond film
>"Octopussy"? It certainly looked like a giant yo-yo with blades.

I thought it was a circular saw on a bungee cord.
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 8:48:36 AM

Terry O'Brien wrote:

>"jcharpak@att.net" <jcharpak@att.net> wrote:
>

>>Sea Wasp wrote:

>>> Some people don't know it, but the yo-yo TOY was derived from an
>>>actual weapon.
>>>

>>Is that the same thing as what a bad guy used in the James Bond film
>>"Octopussy"? It certainly looked like a giant yo-yo with blades.
>>

>I thought it was a circular saw on a bungee cord.

Essentially, yes.

--
Tetsubo
My page: http://home.comcast.net/~tetsubo/
--------------------------------------
If fifty million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing.
-- Anatole France
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 3:02:44 PM

]
] Signature weapons have always had a special place in my heart for me.
] Therefore, I am trying to think of odd, unusual weapons (or other
] items, if you have any ideas). And for this, I'd like to ask if you
] have any ideas.

A dagger that can cast a fireball with the push of a button on the
hilt. 5 charges, holder of the dagger can designate where the
fireball goes. And any class can use it. Has to be recharged by the
appropriate character class.

JimP.
--
http://www.linuxgazette.net/ Linux Gazette
http://crestar.drivein-jim.net/ July 23, 2005

Peter Meilinger wrote:
> D.J. <jolly73@boingcableone.net> wrote:
>
> >A dagger that can cast a fireball with the push of a button on the
> >hilt. 5 charges, holder of the dagger can designate where the
> >fireball goes. And any class can use it. Has to be recharged by the
> >appropriate character class.
>
> I think it'd be more interesting if the fireball had no range.
> Great for high level characters up against hordes of kobolds.

How about a magic crossbow that can be loaded with
a wand. When the trigger is pulled, the spell in
the wand is triggered. I am blatantly stealing this
from a old issue of Dungeon mag.

How would you balance this out so it would not become
overpowering? It gives a limited spellcasting ability
to players that could otherwise not cast spells.
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 3:54:23 PM

On 13 Aug 2005 11:32:35 -0700, decalod85 wrote:

>Peter Meilinger wrote:
>> D.J. <jolly73@boingcableone.net> wrote:
>>
>> >A dagger that can cast a fireball with the push of a button on the
>> >hilt. 5 charges, holder of the dagger can designate where the
>> >fireball goes. And any class can use it. Has to be recharged by the
>> >appropriate character class.
>>
>> I think it'd be more interesting if the fireball had no range.
>> Great for high level characters up against hordes of kobolds.
>
>How about a magic crossbow that can be loaded with
>a wand. When the trigger is pulled, the spell in
>the wand is triggered. I am blatantly stealing this
>from a old issue of Dungeon mag.
>
>How would you balance this out so it would not become
>overpowering? It gives a limited spellcasting ability
>to players that could otherwise not cast spells.

Small cumulative chance per shot - say 5% - of a "misfire" - the spell
affects the shooter instead of the target, or the spells fizzles, or
perhaps some semi-random effect.
--
auric dot auric at gmail dot com
*****
Behind every great man is an amazed mother-in-law.
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 6:43:07 PM

Sea Wasp <seawaspobvious@obvioussgeinc.com> wrote:
>Peter Meilinger wrote:

>> Doomfarers also had a couple of cool magical swords. The less
>> flashy one is the one I preferred. Called Bar or Neverdull,
>> I believe, it's only real enchantment was durability - it
>> wouldn't break or dull, and that was pretty much it. It had
>> something of a reputation because its wielders tended to
>> do very brave things without receiving much acclaim.

> Not quite. Bar or "Never Blunted", wasn't just durable, it was
>supernaturally sharp. It cut through heavy armor like cheese. Bar was
>a Sword of Sharpness.

You're right that it was super sharp, but was it a true Sword
of Sharpness? I thought the SoS gave wounds that couldn't heal?
If I'm remembering correctly, the evil wizard in Doomfarers had
a sword like that. Someone did, anyway. I remember the race to
the magical healing spring or some such.

Clearly, it's been too long since I read the books.

Pete
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 7:37:42 PM

"Madkaugh" <madkaugh@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> snikers000@hotmail.com wrote:
>> I'll keep this short and sweet.
>>
>> Signature weapons have always had a special place in my heart for me.
>> Therefore, I am trying to think of odd, unusual weapons (or other
>> items, if you have any ideas). And for this, I'd like to ask if you
>> have any ideas.
>>
>> In invite you to let your imaginations run wild. They don't have to be
>> practical weapons; that's why they'd be so unique. Just throw out
>> anything at all.
>
> Having just watched "Merlin" last night; "The Singing Sword"
>
> The "Singing" refers to a distinctive twang, but D&D being what it is;
>
> The Singing Sword that sings:
>
> "Achy, Breaky Heart" ... heart seeking
>
> "Sesame Street" ... +1 to knowledge, local navigation
>
> ... off key, always. -4 to friend and foe concentration checks
>
> ... like Slim Whitman. Make fortitude save or stun one round. Martian
> heads explode.
>
> "Indiana Jones Theme" ... +1 luck bonus, all saves.

Adding to this one:

"Imperial March" from Star Wars, Good-aligned creatures are at -3 to morale
checks

"Jaws Theme" Activates in or near bodies of salt water, acts as the spell
'Fear'

"ET Theme" On a random encounter check (D% 90-100) an outsider teleports to
eat all of your Reeeeses Pieeeces and skitter off to pound the beer in the
fridge, also grants a telepathic/empathic link to wielder.

"Star Trek Theme", referencing TV series in either case
Effect only happens if wielded by the party leader, as a cursed item
(Shatner Version) Causes a personaity shift in the party leader resulting in
all negotiation senarios becoming a 'Let God sort 'em out' shoot out, also
causes the leader to hate heavily wrinkled foreheads
(Stewart Version) Personality shift makes party leader talk all adversaries
to death, also has a facination for ordering his/her tea "Tea, Earl Grey,
Hot"

-==-
Jerry Chesko
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 10:17:24 PM

D.J. <jolly73@boingcableone.net> wrote:

>A dagger that can cast a fireball with the push of a button on the
>hilt. 5 charges, holder of the dagger can designate where the
>fireball goes. And any class can use it. Has to be recharged by the
>appropriate character class.

I think it'd be more interesting if the fireball had no range.
Great for high level characters up against hordes of kobolds.

Pete
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 1:20:22 AM

Peter Meilinger wrote:
> Sea Wasp <seawaspobvious@obvioussgeinc.com> wrote:
>
>>Peter Meilinger wrote:
>

>>>Doomfarers also had a couple of cool magical swords. The less
>>>flashy one is the one I preferred. Called Bar or Neverdull,
>>>I believe, it's only real enchantment was durability - it
>>>wouldn't break or dull, and that was pretty much it. It had
>>>something of a reputation because its wielders tended to
>>>do very brave things without receiving much acclaim.
>>

>> Not quite. Bar or "Never Blunted", wasn't just durable, it was
>>supernaturally sharp. It cut through heavy armor like cheese. Bar was
>>a Sword of Sharpness.
>

> You're right that it was super sharp, but was it a true Sword
> of Sharpness? I thought the SoS gave wounds that couldn't heal?

We never got a chance to see if they would heal. You could call it a
Vorpal Blade, then. It cut heads, legs, and bodies easily.

> If I'm remembering correctly, the evil wizard in Doomfarers had
> a sword like that. Someone did, anyway. I remember the race to
> the magical healing spring or some such.

Yardiff Bey's sword Dirge, unmaker of many things including Acre-Fin
and Evergray.

--
Sea Wasp
/^\
Live Journal: http://www.livejournal.com/users/seawasp/
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 3:16:53 AM

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 11:02:44 -0500, D.J. <jolly73@boingcableone.net>
scribed into the ether:

>snikers000@hotmail.com wrote:
>] I'll keep this short and sweet.
>]
>] Signature weapons have always had a special place in my heart for me.
>] Therefore, I am trying to think of odd, unusual weapons (or other
>] items, if you have any ideas). And for this, I'd like to ask if you
>] have any ideas.
>
>A dagger that can cast a fireball with the push of a button on the
>hilt. 5 charges, holder of the dagger can designate where the
>fireball goes. And any class can use it. Has to be recharged by the
>appropriate character class.

Even better: Weapon that casts fireball on a critical hit. Best used with a
ring of fire resistance, and while not in proximity to teammates.
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 7:58:45 AM

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 11:54:23 -0700, Auric__ wrote:

> On 13 Aug 2005 11:32:35 -0700, decalod85 wrote:

>>How about a magic crossbow that can be loaded with
>>a wand. When the trigger is pulled, the spell in
>>the wand is triggered. I am blatantly stealing this
>>from a old issue of Dungeon mag.
>>
>>How would you balance this out so it would not become
>>overpowering? It gives a limited spellcasting ability
>>to players that could otherwise not cast spells.
>
> Small cumulative chance per shot - say 5% - of a "misfire" - the spell
> affects the shooter instead of the target, or the spells fizzles, or
> perhaps some semi-random effect.

Another limitation might be to limit the accuracy of the 'wandbow':

At a first blush, ranged touch for targeted spells, while AE spells
scatter.

--
Phoenix
Anonymous

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 03:58:45 -0400, Rick Pikul wrote:

>On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 11:54:23 -0700, Auric__ wrote:
>
>> On 13 Aug 2005 11:32:35 -0700, decalod85 wrote:
>
>>>How about a magic crossbow that can be loaded with
>>>a wand. When the trigger is pulled, the spell in
>>>the wand is triggered. I am blatantly stealing this
>>>from a old issue of Dungeon mag.
>>>
>>>How would you balance this out so it would not become
>>>overpowering? It gives a limited spellcasting ability
>>>to players that could otherwise not cast spells.
>>
>> Small cumulative chance per shot - say 5% - of a "misfire" - the spell
>> affects the shooter instead of the target, or the spells fizzles, or
>> perhaps some semi-random effect.
>
> Another limitation might be to limit the accuracy of the 'wandbow':
>
> At a first blush, ranged touch for targeted spells, while AE spells
>scatter.

Here's a thought: no unusual limitations to the crossbow - but if the
target survives the shot, they can take the wand (assuming it has
charges left and wasn't destroyed in the shot) and turn it against you.
--
auric dot auric at gmail dot com
*****
You haven't done anything that could be called decent in your twenty-seven
years of life. What's going to be so magical about the next seven hours?
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 4:06:03 PM

Auric__ wrote:
> On 12 Aug 2005 17:02:39 -0700, Justisaur wrote:
>

> >Auric__ wrote:

> >> Why not just have it spray a literal mace? <g>
> >> [squirt] >>THUNK<< "ow!"
> >>

> >I like both these. I swear I've heard of the can of mace which flings
> >a mace when used before.
>
> I'd've been surprised if nobody else thought of it before.

A german folk tale features a similar item named "Knüppel aus dem
Sack",
("Cudgel out of the Sack"). The name is the command phrase too; when
spoken the cudgel jumps out and beats the victim at which the
user points.

LL
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 4:46:50 PM

On 14 Aug 2005 12:06:03 -0700, Lorenz.Lang@gmx.de wrote:

>Auric__ wrote:

>> >I like both these. I swear I've heard of the can of mace which flings
>> >a mace when used before.
>>
>> I'd've been surprised if nobody else thought of it before.
>
>A german folk tale features a similar item named "Knüppel aus dem
>Sack",
>("Cudgel out of the Sack"). The name is the command phrase too; when
>spoken the cudgel jumps out and beats the victim at which the
>user points.

I like that. <g>
--
auric dot auric at gmail dot com
*****
Before the internet, the village idiot would stay in his own village.
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 5:58:42 PM

snikers000@hotmail.com wrote:
> I'll keep this short and sweet.
>
> Signature weapons have always had a special place in my heart for me.
> Therefore, I am trying to think of odd, unusual weapons (or other
> items, if you have any ideas). And for this, I'd like to ask if you
> have any ideas.
>
> They can be normal weapons with unusual characteristics (e.g., a flint
> knife), or they can be totally bizarre weapons in their own right
> (porcupine quills?). They could be odd by their context (a human
> specializing in the dwarven urgosh) or ordinary items not meant for
> combat (a xbow bolt used for melee, perhaps, or a scalpel out of a
> healing kit).
>
> In invite you to let your imaginations run wild. They don't have to be
> practical weapons; that's why they'd be so unique. Just throw out
> anything at all.

The Jester's Sceptre [Rod]
Made of wood and painted, it looks like a grinning jester's
head on a stick, complete with funny cap of cloth glued to it
with tiny bells at the points etc.

It functions as a club +1 for proficiency purpose,
but does no damage. You have to make touch attacks with it.
On a successful hit you roll 1d4 to see which spell
affects the target:

1 Hideous Laughter (Will, DC 15)
2 Hold Person (Will, DC 16)
3 Slow (Will, DC 17)
4 Deep Slumber (Will, DC 17)

With a standard action you can invoke the spell-like ability
of this rod: Blink as the spell for 3d12 rounds, but the power
cannot be dismissed. The DM rolls the dice, you don't know
how long it'll work.

If intelligent, it will always be chaotic.

Gravebringer [cursed minor artifact]
Bastard sword +2, Keen, Flaming Burst, Intelligent weapon
Made from a black metal only found on an abyssmal outer plane.
Always sheathed in blueish flames when drawn, 10 ft. bright,
plus 20 ft. shadowy illumination. There are no command
words to stop or start the fire.

Alignment: Chaotic Evil
Int: 15, Wis: 15, Cha: 20; EGO: 22 (= Will DC against domination)
Communication: Speech, Telepathy (Common, Abyssal, Draconic)
Senses: 120 ft. darkvision, blindsense, and hearing
Lesser Powers:
1. 'Deathwatch' continually active
2. 10 ranks in Diplomacy (+5 Cha)
3. 10 ranks in Intimidate (+5 Cha)

Once per day, but only after it gained dominance over it's
wielder, Gravebringer may cast a 'Circle of Death' at 12th level.
It will only use this power in crowded places, in the middle
of combat etc without any consideration. The first use should
be a big surprise for everybody including the wielder!
The 'Circle of Death' kills 13d4 HD in 40-ft.-radius burst,
Fort DC 20, but creatures with 9 or more HD can't be affected.

The wielder of Gravebringer is not affected by this power,
but gains as many temporary hit points as the the killed
creatures had for 13 rounds.
On the downside the wielder must roll a Fort saving throw
vs. DC 20 or suffers an ability drain: 1 point from each of
Str, Con, and Cha. These points are immediately lent back
to the character; this power functioning with a range of
10 feet. So the wielder will not notice the change as long
as he keeps the sword within 10 feet.
Gravebringer will want to stay in this range for sure.

When the wielder is drained to an ability of 0 in a score,
Gravebringer will begin to search a new owner sooner or later.
It prefers to abandon the current wielder in deadly peril,
taking away the lent points, dropping the wielder to 0 in
one or more abilities with glee.

LL
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 10:37:51 PM

Auric__ <not.my.real@email.address> wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 03:58:45 -0400, Rick Pikul wrote:

>>> Small cumulative chance per shot - say 5% - of a "misfire" - the
>>> spell affects the shooter instead of the target, or the spells
>>> fizzles, or perhaps some semi-random effect.
>>
>> Another limitation might be to limit the accuracy of the
>> 'wandbow':
>>
>> At a first blush, ranged touch for targeted spells, while AE
>> spells scatter.
>
> Here's a thought: no unusual limitations to the crossbow - but if the
> target survives the shot, they can take the wand (assuming it has
> charges left and wasn't destroyed in the shot) and turn it against you.

"the spell in the wand is triggered", not "the wand is launched"

You could price such an item in a couple of ways that come to mind.

.. big bonus to Use Magic Device (+ allows use untrained)

.. if you posit a feat 'Wand User'[1], and an item granting access to a
feat being worth (IIRC) 5000gp, then as a 5000gp weapon adder you
could make a crossbow a wandbow -- and in fact, it might be better to
make it a specific weapon (like the luckblade).

[1] Wand User
Prereq : ?
Benefit: Choose one spell list. You may activate spell trigger
items that use spells from this list.

Note: I have just made this up as an illustration; it feels like it
has some pretty broad ramifications, but I haven't put much thought
into what they are.

Keith
August 14, 2005 10:37:52 PM

Keith Davies <keith.davies@kjdavies.org> wrote in

> Auric__ <not.my.real@email.address> wrote:

>> Here's a thought: no unusual limitations to the crossbow - but if the
>> target survives the shot, they can take the wand (assuming it has
>> charges left and wasn't destroyed in the shot) and turn it against you.
>
> "the spell in the wand is triggered", not "the wand is launched"

There's an idea, though. A crossbow designed to actually launch the wand,
and all charges are immediately expended on whatever the wand hits. Don't
miss.
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 10:37:52 PM

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 18:37:51 GMT, Keith Davies wrote:

>Auric__ <not.my.real@email.address> wrote:

>>> Another limitation might be to limit the accuracy of the
>>> 'wandbow':
>>>
>>> At a first blush, ranged touch for targeted spells, while AE
>>> spells scatter.
>>
>> Here's a thought: no unusual limitations to the crossbow - but if the
>> target survives the shot, they can take the wand (assuming it has
>> charges left and wasn't destroyed in the shot) and turn it against you.
>
>"the spell in the wand is triggered", not "the wand is launched"

Arf, sorry, my brain associated the two.
--
auric dot auric at gmail dot com
*****
Great, my two least favorite things - flesh-rending monsters, and bad
spelling.
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 10:37:53 PM

Chipacabra wrote:
> Keith Davies <keith.davies@kjdavies.org> wrote in
>

>>Auric__ <not.my.real@email.address> wrote:
>

>>>Here's a thought: no unusual limitations to the crossbow - but if the
>>>target survives the shot, they can take the wand (assuming it has
>>>charges left and wasn't destroyed in the shot) and turn it against you.
>>
>>"the spell in the wand is triggered", not "the wand is launched"
>

> There's an idea, though. A crossbow designed to actually launch the wand,
> and all charges are immediately expended on whatever the wand hits. Don't
> miss.

Then there was the player who wanted his character to have a crossbow
with six wands
instead of a bowstring across the bow iron and be able to pull a trigger
and fire all of them
simultaneously.
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 12:15:58 AM

Chipacabra <chipb@efn.org> wrote:
> Keith Davies <keith.davies@kjdavies.org> wrote in
>
>> Auric__ <not.my.real@email.address> wrote:
>
>>> Here's a thought: no unusual limitations to the crossbow - but if the
>>> target survives the shot, they can take the wand (assuming it has
>>> charges left and wasn't destroyed in the shot) and turn it against you.
>>
>> "the spell in the wand is triggered", not "the wand is launched"
>
> There's an idea, though. A crossbow designed to actually launch the
> wand, and all charges are immediately expended on whatever the wand
> hits. Don't miss.

*killer* effect -- anything you hit with a wand of /fireball/, that
isn't immune to fire, is *hosed*. 50 * 5d6 is >850 points of damage...
even if they get (and make) the save, that's still >425 points of
damage. This qualifies as 'Massive Damage', I'd think, and the Fort
save would be hard to make.

It's probably reasonable to take away the save of the creature you hit;
it is clearly established that it is at ground zero. Any creature that
wasn't hit (i.e. anything near the target, or the target if you missed)
wouldn't lose the save.

Of course, it *is* an expensive shot. (750 * 3 * 5 ==) 11,250gp is a
lot to spend on something like this. OTOH, being able to do damage
equivalent to a *250d6* fireball should not be cheap.

Energy resistance isn't much help here. Of course, by the time this
might be considered a viable tactic on a regular basis (as opposed to
emergency), fire immunity isn't that hard to come by... and evasion is
only a second-level Rogue ability (i.e. easy to get).

Keith