Give me your most unusual weapon ideas!

I'll keep this short and sweet.

Signature weapons have always had a special place in my heart for me.
Therefore, I am trying to think of odd, unusual weapons (or other
items, if you have any ideas). And for this, I'd like to ask if you
have any ideas.

They can be normal weapons with unusual characteristics (e.g., a flint
knife), or they can be totally bizarre weapons in their own right
(porcupine quills?). They could be odd by their context (a human
specializing in the dwarven urgosh) or ordinary items not meant for
combat (a xbow bolt used for melee, perhaps, or a scalpel out of a
healing kit).

In invite you to let your imaginations run wild. They don't have to be
practical weapons; that's why they'd be so unique. Just throw out
anything at all.

snikers...@hotmail.com wrote:
> I'll keep this short and sweet.
>
> Signature weapons have always had a special place in my heart for me.
> Therefore, I am trying to think of odd, unusual weapons (or other
> items, if you have any ideas). And for this, I'd like to ask if you
> have any ideas.
>
> They can be normal weapons with unusual characteristics (e.g., a flint
> knife), or they can be totally bizarre weapons in their own right
> (porcupine quills?). They could be odd by their context (a human
> specializing in the dwarven urgosh) or ordinary items not meant for
> combat (a xbow bolt used for melee, perhaps, or a scalpel out of a
> healing kit).

One character of one of my players often threw coins at his enmies,
usually silver incase they were lycanthropes. I think he actually
started it because he was up against some lycanthropes and didn't have
any silver weapons. Of course this was back in the "dinner plate" era
of 1/10 pound coins. I basically considered it like throwing a rock.
d3 damage, 10' range increments. For some strange reason he seemed to
roll 20's whenever he did this (his normal attacks seemed sub par in
comparison). He had a good strength so they actually did good damage,
and I was using crits on backed up 20's back then too.

Then there's always the other fun improvised weapon if you are larger
than your opponents, you pick up the dead body of one of your enemies
and beat them with it. alternately if you are the same size, you just
rip a limb off and beat them with it. Then there's always bowling with
Gnomes.

- Justisaur

George W Harris wrote:
> On 11 Aug 2005 12:28:14 -0700, snikers000@hotmail.com wrote:
>
> :
> :Signature weapons have always had a special place in my heart for me.
> :Therefore, I am trying to think of odd, unusual weapons (or other
> :items, if you have any ideas). And for this, I'd like to ask if you
> :have any ideas.

Well, of course this has been done before (R.A. Salvatore's cleric
Cadderly uses one) but I do wonder what the stats for a yo-yo would be
like... I'm not surprised if it's in one of the myriad books out there,
though.

Exotic weapon
Bludgeoning damage
Uses DEX instead of STR to determine whether you hit; adds STR bonus to
damage
Within 5 ft, can use either STR or DEX to modify attack roll (by
holding it in your hand and hitting someone with it).
Range of 10 ft, but threatens AoO only up to 5 ft
1d4 damage, 18-20 crit range
Takes a full round action to wind back up if a natural 1 is rolled.

I figure the low damage is compensated by the reach and the idea that
you can use "weapon finesse" without the feat on a yo-yo. Though...
maybe that's too much compensation. A rogue, for example, would depend
on sneak attack damage and not worry about the weapon's damage to begin
with.

I'd love to see a halfling using a yo-yo... especially a halfling
rogue... that would be interesting.
So whaddaya think?

How about a scythe-like double blade on a spiked chain?
A huge club for a large-sized half-ogre?
A kusari-gama with a quarterstaff-sized handle?
Dragonkat

snikers000@hotmail.com wrote:

> In invite you to let your imaginations run wild. They don't have to be
> practical weapons; that's why they'd be so unique. Just throw out
> anything at all.

Juggler's Clubs
Hard Leather Ball
Oar
Holy Water Super Soaker
Acid Super Soaker

MadKaugh

snikers000@hotmail.com wrote:

>I'll keep this short and sweet.
>
>Signature weapons have always had a special place in my heart for me.
>Therefore, I am trying to think of odd, unusual weapons (or other
>items, if you have any ideas). And for this, I'd like to ask if you
>have any ideas.
>
>They can be normal weapons with unusual characteristics (e.g., a flint
>knife), or they can be totally bizarre weapons in their own right
>(porcupine quills?). They could be odd by their context (a human
>specializing in the dwarven urgosh) or ordinary items not meant for
>combat (a xbow bolt used for melee, perhaps, or a scalpel out of a
>healing kit).
>
>In invite you to let your imaginations run wild. They don't have to be
>practical weapons; that's why they'd be so unique. Just throw out
>anything at all.

Bladed Boomerang.
Combat Cleaver.
Combat Crowbar.
Dwarven Combat Spade.
Dragon Tooth Pick.
Spiked Throwing Hammer (as in the Olympic style throwing hammer).
Orc Gutblade (based on an agricultural tool).
Dwarven Tunnel Blade.
Hurlbat (actual European throwing weapon).
War Goad.
Orc Bladed Bow.
Dwarven Battle Pick (bladed).
Combat Shears.
Halfling Throwing "Hand".
Shark Tooth Club.
Riflestock War Club.
Combat Wrench.
Gnomish War Pepper Mill.
Dwarven All-thing (double weapon that has Blunt, Piercing and
Slashing elements).
Double Glaive.
Double Halberd.
Double Scythe.
Double Scimitar.
Double Monkey Paw Staff.
Wizard's Combat Staff (tool/weapon design for Mages).
Warhook (based off od a bushhook).
Dwarven Tunnel Spear (all metal design).
Elven Nagamaki.
Githyanki Katana.
Halfling Ankle Sword.
Elven Boarding Axe.
Dwarven Pipe Axe (peace pipe design).
Axe of Sorrow (multi-pointed axe based on a Native American design).
Modular Maul Weapon System.

Contact me if you would like to see illustrations of any of these
designs.

--

Tetsubo
My page: http://home.comcast.net/~tetsubo/

How about a long, hollow stick, with a small net on one end,
and a drawstring on other that can be used to draw the net
tight.

Globes of alchemists fire, holy water, or acid could be placed
in the net.

Upon hitting an opponent with a melee touch attack, the attacker
delivers fire, holy water or acid damage.

Perhaps the net is made out of steel (like chain mail) so it
is more durable.

It takes a full round action to reload the net.

On 11 Aug 2005 12:28:14 -0700, snikers000@hotmail.com wrote:

:I'll keep this short and sweet.
:
:Signature weapons have always had a special place in my heart for me.
:Therefore, I am trying to think of odd, unusual weapons (or other
:items, if you have any ideas). And for this, I'd like to ask if you
:have any ideas.

As a precursor or lower-tech version of the
Mercurial Greatsword, the Ball Bearing Greatsword.
A Greatsword with a hollow reservoir in the blade,
partially filled with hundreds of tiny bbs. It gives a -5
Circumstance Penalty to Sneak, but has a 500gp
discount to be enchanted with the Thundering
enchantment. Also, if it's ever sundered everyone
within 15 feet must make a DC19 Reflex save or fall
prone.
--
"If you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce, they taste more like
prunes than rhubarb does" -Groucho Marx

George W. Harris For actual email address, replace each 'u' with an 'i'

Iridia <s1416348@cedarville.edu> wrote:
>I'd love to see a halfling using a yo-yo... especially a halfling
>rogue... that would be interesting.

ITYM Flamingo-may...

Donald

drow

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2004

Alien mind control rays made snikers000@hotmail.com write:
> In invite you to let your imaginations run wild. They don't have to be
> practical weapons; that's why they'd be so unique. Just throw out
> anything at all.

adamantine knuckles (allows a monk to bypass hardness)
auto-bow (as shortbow, but may be used one-handed)
death's dire scythe (double weapon)
shield-on-a-stick (shield bashing with reach)
snake sword (switch between longsword and spiked chain as a swift action)
spiked chain of love (each link is shaped like a heart)
spiked hula hoop (1d4 hp damage, no strength or precision bonus to damage,
grants ability to make whirlwind attacks)
too-big sword of anime (as greatsword, +4 equipment bonus to intimidate)

--
\^\ // drow@bin.sh (CARRIER LOST) <http://www.bin.sh/>
\ // - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

In a dizzying speach from his throne, drow <drow@bin.sh> imparted this
wisdom:
>shield-on-a-stick (shield bashing with reach)

LOL!

>spiked hula hoop (1d4 hp damage, no strength or precision bonus to damage,
> grants ability to make whirlwind attacks)

Hey, this one's *really* cool. There should also be some sort of
effect on AoOs, both those given and received, and anyone entering the
"hula-ing" character's space would risk damage (e.g. from attempting to
grapple).

--

Argentium Helm

"Iridia" <s1416348@cedarville.edu> wrote:

>George W Harris wrote:
>> On 11 Aug 2005 12:28:14 -0700, snikers000@hotmail.com wrote:
>>
>> :
>> :Signature weapons have always had a special place in my heart for me.
>> :Therefore, I am trying to think of odd, unusual weapons (or other
>> :items, if you have any ideas). And for this, I'd like to ask if you
>> :have any ideas.
>
>Well, of course this has been done before (R.A. Salvatore's cleric
>Cadderly uses one) but I do wonder what the stats for a yo-yo would be
>like... I'm not surprised if it's in one of the myriad books out there,
>though.

There's an old anime series called "Fist of the North Star" where one of the female characters had a set of killer yo-yos, which sprouted a series of
blades as they spun. She was quite proficient in slicing and dicing her opponents with them.

Terry

snikers000@hotmail.com wrote:
> I'll keep this short and sweet.
>
> Signature weapons have always had a special place in my heart for me.
> Therefore, I am trying to think of odd, unusual weapons (or other
> items, if you have any ideas). And for this, I'd like to ask if you
> have any ideas.
>
> They can be normal weapons with unusual characteristics (e.g., a flint
> knife), or they can be totally bizarre weapons in their own right
> (porcupine quills?). They could be odd by their context (a human
> specializing in the dwarven urgosh) or ordinary items not meant for
> combat (a xbow bolt used for melee, perhaps, or a scalpel out of a
> healing kit).
>
> In invite you to let your imaginations run wild. They don't have to be
> practical weapons; that's why they'd be so unique. Just throw out
> anything at all.

Jade:

http://www.gemstone.org/gem-by-gem/english/jade.html

http://www.travelchinaguide.com/intro/arts/jade.htm

hardness 6.5-7

Not an ideal weapon material, but it has been used and is distinctive.
Performance should be like flint, but a bit better.

In order of suitability:

obsidian (glass) - not crystaline - brittle

flint (or agate) - cryptocrystaline (interlocked microcrystaline) -
tough, for a rock

jade - two minerals, one cryptocrystaline, one with fiberous,
intertwined crystals - very tough, for a rock

None of these will hold up as well as bronze, iron, or steel over time;
mainly because the metals can be sharpened in the field.

MadKaugh

Sea Wasp wrote:
> Terry O'Brien wrote:
>
> > There's an old anime series called "Fist of the North Star" where one of the female characters had a set of killer yo-yos, which sprouted a series of
> > blades as they spun. She was quite proficient in slicing and dicing her opponents with them.
>
> Some people don't know it, but the yo-yo TOY was derived from an
> actual weapon.

Is that the same thing as what a bad guy used in the James Bond film
"Octopussy"? It certainly looked like a giant yo-yo with blades.

Tetsubo wrote:
> snikers000@hotmail.com wrote:
>
> >I'll keep this short and sweet.
> >
> >Signature weapons have always had a special place in my heart for me.
> >Therefore, I am trying to think of odd, unusual weapons (or other
> >items, if you have any ideas). And for this, I'd like to ask if you
> >have any ideas.
> >
> >They can be normal weapons with unusual characteristics (e.g., a flint
> >knife), or they can be totally bizarre weapons in their own right
> >(porcupine quills?). They could be odd by their context (a human
> >specializing in the dwarven urgosh) or ordinary items not meant for
> >combat (a xbow bolt used for melee, perhaps, or a scalpel out of a
> >healing kit).
> >
> >In invite you to let your imaginations run wild. They don't have to be
> >practical weapons; that's why they'd be so unique. Just throw out
> >anything at all.
> >

> Combat Cleaver.

A cleaver makes a pretty good weapon anyway. I'd probably just stat it
as a hand axe though.

> Combat Crowbar.

Some bonus to sundering armor?

> Dwarven Combat Spade.

Ooh! I love beating up zombies with a shovel in Fistfull of Boomstick.
Poping thier heads off with the underhand swing is fun!

> Dragon Tooth Pick.

Interesting idea. I've had people use dragon teeth as daggers or
swords before.

> Orc Gutblade (based on an agricultural tool).
> Dwarven Tunnel Blade.
> Hurlbat (actual European throwing weapon).
> War Goad.
> Orc Bladed Bow.

Not sure what any of these would be

> Combat Shears.

Probably terribly unwieldy, but I think "Devil May Cry"

> Halfling Throwing "Hand".

Eh what?

> Shark Tooth Club.
> Riflestock War Club.
> Combat Wrench.

Another good tool, probably just stated as a mace, although you could
concievably disarm better with it.

> Gnomish War Pepper Mill.

LOL! That might actually be effective, make it like a morning star on
the bottom and sprinkle pepper on your enemies at the same time. Of
course like most Techno-Gnome inventions it could easily backfire,
getting pepper in your own eyes, and making you sneeze a lot.

> Dwarven All-thing (double weapon that has Blunt, Piercing and
> Slashing elements).

Morning Star on one end, Halberd head on the other?

> Halfling Ankle Sword.
> Elven Boarding Axe.
> Dwarven Pipe Axe (peace pipe design).
> Axe of Sorrow (multi-pointed axe based on a Native American design).
> Modular Maul Weapon System.

Er, what again on all of these.

> Contact me if you would like to see illustrations of any of these
> designs.

That would be cool.

- Justisaur

snikers000@hotmail.com wrote:
> I'll keep this short and sweet.
>
> Signature weapons have always had a special place in my heart for me.
> Therefore, I am trying to think of odd, unusual weapons (or other
> items, if you have any ideas). And for this, I'd like to ask if you
> have any ideas.
>
> In invite you to let your imaginations run wild. They don't have to be
> practical weapons; that's why they'd be so unique. Just throw out
> anything at all.

Having just watched "Merlin" last night; "The Singing Sword"

The "Singing" refers to a distinctive twang, but D&D being what it is;

The Singing Sword that sings:

"Achy, Breaky Heart" ... heart seeking

"Sesame Street" ... +1 to knowledge, local navigation

.... off key, always. -4 to friend and foe concentration checks

.... like Slim Whitman. Make fortitude save or stun one round. Martian
heads explode.

"Indiana Jones Theme" ... +1 luck bonus, all saves.

MadKaugh

Madkaugh wrote:
> snikers000@hotmail.com wrote:

> In order of suitability:
>
> obsidian (glass) - not crystaline - brittle
>
> flint (or agate) - cryptocrystaline (interlocked microcrystaline) -
> tough, for a rock
>
> jade - two minerals, one cryptocrystaline, one with fiberous,
> intertwined crystals - very tough, for a rock
>
> None of these will hold up as well as bronze, iron, or steel over time;
> mainly because the metals can be sharpened in the field.
>

> MadKaugh

Sorry, I realized that I got that order of suitability backwards.

Add to that, jade is scarce enough to be considered a gemstone. A jade
weapon should be valuable in it's own right.

Flint is fairly common, and is found worldwide. Characters may have a
piece for starting fires. The working characteristics are good, too,
once you have the technique - the rapid one is a strike and cleave,
like gem cutting. Flint nodules should have good trade value to
flint-based economies.

Obsidian is scarcer than flint, tends to be volcanic. Glass is neither
plentiful nor cheap in real-world medieval times.

MadKaugh

Terry O'Brien wrote:

> There's an old anime series called "Fist of the North Star" where one of the female characters had a set of killer yo-yos, which sprouted a series of
> blades as they spun. She was quite proficient in slicing and dicing her opponents with them.

Some people don't know it, but the yo-yo TOY was derived from an
actual weapon.

--
Sea Wasp
/^\
;;;
Live Journal: http://www.livejournal.com/users/seawasp/

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 12:32:12 GMT, Sea Wasp wrote:

>Terry O'Brien wrote:

[bad wrapping fixed]
>> There's an old anime series called "Fist of the North Star" where one
>> of the female characters had a set of killer yo-yos, which sprouted a
>> series of blades as they spun. She was quite proficient in slicing and
>> dicing her opponents with them.
>
> Some people don't know it, but the yo-yo TOY was derived from an
>actual weapon.

....essentially a rock on a string, which originated in the Philippines
--
auric dot auric at gmail dot com
*****

Two come to mind.

In the Brian Daley novel The Doomfarers of Coramonde, a very minor
character fancies himself something of a duellist. He fights with
two swords, and has had them custom made so they fit in a single
scabbard. One side of each hilt is flattened so they can fit
together. Impractical, I'm sure, but he wasn't the most practical
character in the world anyway.

Doomfarers also had a couple of cool magical swords. The less
flashy one is the one I preferred. Called Bar or Neverdull,
I believe, it's only real enchantment was durability - it
wouldn't break or dull, and that was pretty much it. It had
something of a reputation because its wielders tended to
do very brave things without receiving much acclaim.

My other example comes from my pal Bill Svitavsky. He told
me about an old AD&D game in which a barbarian or fighter
character kept getting chained up in various dungeons. Having
an 18/00 strength, he invariably broke the chains. Then he
always had to beat a bunch of guards to death with the
remnants of the chains around his wrists before he could
find his gear. This got to be so common that eventually he
just gave in and took Weapon Proficiency - Manacles.

Pete

Sea Wasp wrote:

> Terry O'Brien wrote:
>
>> There's an old anime series called "Fist of the North Star" where one
>> of the female characters had a set of killer yo-yos, which sprouted a
>> series of
>> blades as they spun. She was quite proficient in slicing and dicing
>> her opponents with them.
>

> Some people don't know it, but the yo-yo TOY was derived from an
> actual weapon.

I always explain it as a primitive epiphany. "I want to throw a rock
at that guy. But then I have no rock... I'll make a returning rock!" :)

--

Justisaur wrote:

>Tetsubo wrote:
>

>>snikers000@hotmail.com wrote:
>>

>>>I'll keep this short and sweet.
>>>
>>>Signature weapons have always had a special place in my heart for me.
>>>Therefore, I am trying to think of odd, unusual weapons (or other
>>>items, if you have any ideas). And for this, I'd like to ask if you
>>>have any ideas.
>>>
>>>They can be normal weapons with unusual characteristics (e.g., a flint
>>>knife), or they can be totally bizarre weapons in their own right
>>>(porcupine quills?). They could be odd by their context (a human
>>>specializing in the dwarven urgosh) or ordinary items not meant for
>>>combat (a xbow bolt used for melee, perhaps, or a scalpel out of a
>>>healing kit).
>>>
>>>In invite you to let your imaginations run wild. They don't have to be
>>>practical weapons; that's why they'd be so unique. Just throw out
>>>anything at all.
>>>

>> Combat Cleaver.
>>

>A cleaver makes a pretty good weapon anyway. I'd probably just stat it
>as a hand axe though.

I drew it for a player that had a rogue that had a signature cleaver
as a weapon.

>> Combat Crowbar.
>>

>Some bonus to sundering armor?

A tool that could double as a weapon. Again drawn for a player of a
rogue.

>> Dwarven Combat Spade.
>>

>Ooh! I love beating up zombies with a shovel in Fistfull of Boomstick.
> Poping thier heads off with the underhand swing is fun!
>

>> Dragon Tooth Pick.
>>

>Interesting idea. I've had people use dragon teeth as daggers or
>swords before.
>

>> Orc Gutblade (based on an agricultural tool).

Large bladed two-handed weapon with a nasty, signature hook on one
side.

>> Dwarven Tunnel Blade.

Think of a double bitted axe that you slip your arm into.
Essentially you become the weapons shaft.

>> Hurlbat (actual European throwing weapon).

A throwing weapon designed so that any way you throw it, at least
one point hits.

>> War Goad.

Based on an elephant goad.

>> Orc Bladed Bow.

Bow with bladed tips and a hand guard.

>Not sure what any of these would be
>

>> Combat Shears.
>>

>Probably terribly unwieldy, but I think "Devil May Cry"

I don't know the reference. But it is a set of large pincing shears
that is mostly used to intimidate.

>> Halfling Throwing "Hand".
>>

>Eh what?

Think of a very large five-pointed shurikin. The five points give it
the "hand" appearance.

>> Shark Tooth Club.
>> Riflestock War Club.
>> Combat Wrench.
>>

>Another good tool, probably just stated as a mace, although you could
>concievably disarm better with it.

The sort of thing carried by an artificer.

>> Gnomish War Pepper Mill.
>>

>LOL! That might actually be effective, make it like a morning star on
>the bottom and sprinkle pepper on your enemies at the same time. Of
>course like most Techno-Gnome inventions it could easily backfire,
>getting pepper in your own eyes, and making you sneeze a lot.

Yep. Drawn for a player with a Gnome adventurer character.

>> Dwarven All-thing (double weapon that has Blunt, Piercing and
>>Slashing elements).
>>

>Morning Star on one end, Halberd head on the other?

Spear point on one end, weighted Axe on the other.

>> Halfling Ankle Sword.

A curved two-handed Small weapon designed to hamstring Large foes.

>> Elven Boarding Axe.

Boarding axe with a decidedly Elven flair.

>> Dwarven Pipe Axe (peace pipe design).

An axe with a pipe built into it that has that Dwarven look.

>> Axe of Sorrow (multi-pointed axe based on a Native American design).

This one you have to see... :)

>> Modular Maul Weapon System.

A Maul that has multiple, replaceable striking heads. One for
attacking unarmoured foes, one for armour penetration and one for
general labor.

>Er, what again on all of these.
>

>> Contact me if you would like to see illustrations of any of these
>>designs.
>>

>That would be cool.
>
>- Justisaur

Feel free to email me. I could throw together a zipped file if you
have a decent connection. Or send individual files if you desire.

--

Auric__ wrote:
> On 12 Aug 2005 13:59:13 -0700, Madkaugh wrote:
>
> >Can of Mace - Gnomish invention, sprays lead pellets for 1d6 blugeoning
> >damage, one shot.
>
> Why not just have it spray a literal mace? <g>
> [squirt] >>THUNK<< "ow!"

I like both these. I swear I've heard of the can of mace which flings
a mace when used before.

It reminds me of a favorite "artifact" I had back in 2e days. It was a
buzz mace. You threw it like a club, and it took off like a wire
guided rocket at whoever you targeted, had a firey explosion when it
hit (something like an extra 3d6 damage in 5'r), then returned. It did
have a drawback in that it made a very loud buzzing noise whenever you
used it, and you didn't really want to use it in hand to hand.

- Justisaur

On 12 Aug 2005 17:02:39 -0700, Justisaur wrote:

>Auric__ wrote:
>> On 12 Aug 2005 13:59:13 -0700, Madkaugh wrote:
>>
>> >Can of Mace - Gnomish invention, sprays lead pellets for 1d6 blugeoning
>> >damage, one shot.
>>
>> Why not just have it spray a literal mace? <g>
>> [squirt] >>THUNK<< "ow!"
>>

>I like both these. I swear I've heard of the can of mace which flings
>a mace when used before.

I'd've been surprised if nobody else thought of it before.
--
auric dot auric at gmail dot com
*****
The First Myth of Management: It exists.