Give me your most unusual weapon ideas!

I'll keep this short and sweet.

Signature weapons have always had a special place in my heart for me.
Therefore, I am trying to think of odd, unusual weapons (or other
items, if you have any ideas). And for this, I'd like to ask if you
have any ideas.

They can be normal weapons with unusual characteristics (e.g., a flint
knife), or they can be totally bizarre weapons in their own right
(porcupine quills?). They could be odd by their context (a human
specializing in the dwarven urgosh) or ordinary items not meant for
combat (a xbow bolt used for melee, perhaps, or a scalpel out of a
healing kit).

In invite you to let your imaginations run wild. They don't have to be
practical weapons; that's why they'd be so unique. Just throw out
anything at all.
131 answers Last reply
More about give unusual weapon ideas

    snikers...@hotmail.com wrote:
    > I'll keep this short and sweet.
    >
    > Signature weapons have always had a special place in my heart for me.
    > Therefore, I am trying to think of odd, unusual weapons (or other
    > items, if you have any ideas). And for this, I'd like to ask if you
    > have any ideas.
    >
    > They can be normal weapons with unusual characteristics (e.g., a flint
    > knife), or they can be totally bizarre weapons in their own right
    > (porcupine quills?). They could be odd by their context (a human
    > specializing in the dwarven urgosh) or ordinary items not meant for
    > combat (a xbow bolt used for melee, perhaps, or a scalpel out of a
    > healing kit).

    One character of one of my players often threw coins at his enmies,
    usually silver incase they were lycanthropes. I think he actually
    started it because he was up against some lycanthropes and didn't have
    any silver weapons. Of course this was back in the "dinner plate" era
    of 1/10 pound coins. I basically considered it like throwing a rock.
    d3 damage, 10' range increments. For some strange reason he seemed to
    roll 20's whenever he did this (his normal attacks seemed sub par in
    comparison). He had a good strength so they actually did good damage,
    and I was using crits on backed up 20's back then too.

    Then there's always the other fun improvised weapon if you are larger
    than your opponents, you pick up the dead body of one of your enemies
    and beat them with it. alternately if you are the same size, you just
    rip a limb off and beat them with it. Then there's always bowling with
    Gnomes.

    - Justisaur

    George W Harris wrote:
    > On 11 Aug 2005 12:28:14 -0700, snikers000@hotmail.com wrote:
    >
    > :
    > :Signature weapons have always had a special place in my heart for me.
    > :Therefore, I am trying to think of odd, unusual weapons (or other
    > :items, if you have any ideas). And for this, I'd like to ask if you
    > :have any ideas.

    Well, of course this has been done before (R.A. Salvatore's cleric
    Cadderly uses one) but I do wonder what the stats for a yo-yo would be
    like... I'm not surprised if it's in one of the myriad books out there,
    though.

    Exotic weapon
    Bludgeoning damage
    Uses DEX instead of STR to determine whether you hit; adds STR bonus to
    damage
    Within 5 ft, can use either STR or DEX to modify attack roll (by
    holding it in your hand and hitting someone with it).
    Range of 10 ft, but threatens AoO only up to 5 ft
    1d4 damage, 18-20 crit range
    Takes a full round action to wind back up if a natural 1 is rolled.

    I figure the low damage is compensated by the reach and the idea that
    you can use "weapon finesse" without the feat on a yo-yo. Though...
    maybe that's too much compensation. A rogue, for example, would depend
    on sneak attack damage and not worry about the weapon's damage to begin
    with.

    I'd love to see a halfling using a yo-yo... especially a halfling
    rogue... that would be interesting.
    So whaddaya think?

    How about a scythe-like double blade on a spiked chain?
    A huge club for a large-sized half-ogre?
    A kusari-gama with a quarterstaff-sized handle?
    Dragonkat

    Yo-yos? Neat

    snikers000@hotmail.com wrote:

    > In invite you to let your imaginations run wild. They don't have to be
    > practical weapons; that's why they'd be so unique. Just throw out
    > anything at all.

    Juggler's Clubs
    Hard Leather Ball
    Oar
    Holy Water Super Soaker
    Acid Super Soaker

    MadKaugh

    snikers000@hotmail.com wrote:

    >I'll keep this short and sweet.
    >
    >Signature weapons have always had a special place in my heart for me.
    >Therefore, I am trying to think of odd, unusual weapons (or other
    >items, if you have any ideas). And for this, I'd like to ask if you
    >have any ideas.
    >
    >They can be normal weapons with unusual characteristics (e.g., a flint
    >knife), or they can be totally bizarre weapons in their own right
    >(porcupine quills?). They could be odd by their context (a human
    >specializing in the dwarven urgosh) or ordinary items not meant for
    >combat (a xbow bolt used for melee, perhaps, or a scalpel out of a
    >healing kit).
    >
    >In invite you to let your imaginations run wild. They don't have to be
    >practical weapons; that's why they'd be so unique. Just throw out
    >anything at all.

    Bladed Boomerang.
    Combat Cleaver.
    Combat Crowbar.
    Dwarven Combat Spade.
    Dragon Tooth Pick.
    Spiked Throwing Hammer (as in the Olympic style throwing hammer).
    Orc Gutblade (based on an agricultural tool).
    Dwarven Tunnel Blade.
    Hurlbat (actual European throwing weapon).
    War Goad.
    Orc Bladed Bow.
    Dwarven Battle Pick (bladed).
    Combat Shears.
    Halfling Throwing "Hand".
    Shark Tooth Club.
    Riflestock War Club.
    Combat Wrench.
    Gnomish War Pepper Mill.
    Dwarven All-thing (double weapon that has Blunt, Piercing and
    Slashing elements).
    Double Glaive.
    Double Halberd.
    Double Scythe.
    Double Scimitar.
    Double Monkey Paw Staff.
    Wizard's Combat Staff (tool/weapon design for Mages).
    Warhook (based off od a bushhook).
    Dwarven Tunnel Spear (all metal design).
    Elven Nagamaki.
    Githyanki Katana.
    Halfling Ankle Sword.
    Elven Boarding Axe.
    Dwarven Pipe Axe (peace pipe design).
    Axe of Sorrow (multi-pointed axe based on a Native American design).
    Modular Maul Weapon System.

    Contact me if you would like to see illustrations of any of these
    designs.

    --

    Tetsubo
    My page: http://home.comcast.net/~tetsubo/

    How about a long, hollow stick, with a small net on one end,
    and a drawstring on other that can be used to draw the net
    tight.

    Globes of alchemists fire, holy water, or acid could be placed
    in the net.

    Upon hitting an opponent with a melee touch attack, the attacker
    delivers fire, holy water or acid damage.

    Perhaps the net is made out of steel (like chain mail) so it
    is more durable.

    It takes a full round action to reload the net.

    On 11 Aug 2005 12:28:14 -0700, snikers000@hotmail.com wrote:

    :I'll keep this short and sweet.
    :
    :Signature weapons have always had a special place in my heart for me.
    :Therefore, I am trying to think of odd, unusual weapons (or other
    :items, if you have any ideas). And for this, I'd like to ask if you
    :have any ideas.

    As a precursor or lower-tech version of the
    Mercurial Greatsword, the Ball Bearing Greatsword.
    A Greatsword with a hollow reservoir in the blade,
    partially filled with hundreds of tiny bbs. It gives a -5
    Circumstance Penalty to Sneak, but has a 500gp
    discount to be enchanted with the Thundering
    enchantment. Also, if it's ever sundered everyone
    within 15 feet must make a DC19 Reflex save or fall
    prone.
    --
    "If you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce, they taste more like
    prunes than rhubarb does" -Groucho Marx

    George W. Harris For actual email address, replace each 'u' with an 'i'

    Iridia <s1416348@cedarville.edu> wrote:
    >I'd love to see a halfling using a yo-yo... especially a halfling
    >rogue... that would be interesting.

    ITYM Flamingo-may...

    Donald

    Alien mind control rays made snikers000@hotmail.com write:
    > In invite you to let your imaginations run wild. They don't have to be
    > practical weapons; that's why they'd be so unique. Just throw out
    > anything at all.

    adamantine knuckles (allows a monk to bypass hardness)
    auto-bow (as shortbow, but may be used one-handed)
    death's dire scythe (double weapon)
    shield-on-a-stick (shield bashing with reach)
    snake sword (switch between longsword and spiked chain as a swift action)
    spiked chain of love (each link is shaped like a heart)
    spiked hula hoop (1d4 hp damage, no strength or precision bonus to damage,
    grants ability to make whirlwind attacks)
    too-big sword of anime (as greatsword, +4 equipment bonus to intimidate)

    --
    \^\ // drow@bin.sh (CARRIER LOST) <http://www.bin.sh/>
    \ // - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    In a dizzying speach from his throne, drow <drow@bin.sh> imparted this
    wisdom:
    >shield-on-a-stick (shield bashing with reach)

    LOL!

    >spiked hula hoop (1d4 hp damage, no strength or precision bonus to damage,
    > grants ability to make whirlwind attacks)

    Hey, this one's *really* cool. There should also be some sort of
    effect on AoOs, both those given and received, and anyone entering the
    "hula-ing" character's space would risk damage (e.g. from attempting to
    grapple).

    --

    Argentium Helm

    "Iridia" <s1416348@cedarville.edu> wrote:

    >George W Harris wrote:
    >> On 11 Aug 2005 12:28:14 -0700, snikers000@hotmail.com wrote:
    >>
    >> :
    >> :Signature weapons have always had a special place in my heart for me.
    >> :Therefore, I am trying to think of odd, unusual weapons (or other
    >> :items, if you have any ideas). And for this, I'd like to ask if you
    >> :have any ideas.
    >
    >Well, of course this has been done before (R.A. Salvatore's cleric
    >Cadderly uses one) but I do wonder what the stats for a yo-yo would be
    >like... I'm not surprised if it's in one of the myriad books out there,
    >though.

    There's an old anime series called "Fist of the North Star" where one of the female characters had a set of killer yo-yos, which sprouted a series of
    blades as they spun. She was quite proficient in slicing and dicing her opponents with them.

    Terry

    snikers000@hotmail.com wrote:
    > I'll keep this short and sweet.
    >
    > Signature weapons have always had a special place in my heart for me.
    > Therefore, I am trying to think of odd, unusual weapons (or other
    > items, if you have any ideas). And for this, I'd like to ask if you
    > have any ideas.
    >
    > They can be normal weapons with unusual characteristics (e.g., a flint
    > knife), or they can be totally bizarre weapons in their own right
    > (porcupine quills?). They could be odd by their context (a human
    > specializing in the dwarven urgosh) or ordinary items not meant for
    > combat (a xbow bolt used for melee, perhaps, or a scalpel out of a
    > healing kit).
    >
    > In invite you to let your imaginations run wild. They don't have to be
    > practical weapons; that's why they'd be so unique. Just throw out
    > anything at all.

    Jade:

    http://www.gemstone.org/gem-by-gem/english/jade.html

    http://www.travelchinaguide.com/intro/arts/jade.htm

    hardness 6.5-7

    Not an ideal weapon material, but it has been used and is distinctive.
    Performance should be like flint, but a bit better.

    In order of suitability:

    obsidian (glass) - not crystaline - brittle

    flint (or agate) - cryptocrystaline (interlocked microcrystaline) -
    tough, for a rock

    jade - two minerals, one cryptocrystaline, one with fiberous,
    intertwined crystals - very tough, for a rock

    None of these will hold up as well as bronze, iron, or steel over time;
    mainly because the metals can be sharpened in the field.

    MadKaugh

    Sea Wasp wrote:
    > Terry O'Brien wrote:
    >
    > > There's an old anime series called "Fist of the North Star" where one of the female characters had a set of killer yo-yos, which sprouted a series of
    > > blades as they spun. She was quite proficient in slicing and dicing her opponents with them.
    >
    > Some people don't know it, but the yo-yo TOY was derived from an
    > actual weapon.

    Is that the same thing as what a bad guy used in the James Bond film
    "Octopussy"? It certainly looked like a giant yo-yo with blades.

    Tetsubo wrote:
    > snikers000@hotmail.com wrote:
    >
    > >I'll keep this short and sweet.
    > >
    > >Signature weapons have always had a special place in my heart for me.
    > >Therefore, I am trying to think of odd, unusual weapons (or other
    > >items, if you have any ideas). And for this, I'd like to ask if you
    > >have any ideas.
    > >
    > >They can be normal weapons with unusual characteristics (e.g., a flint
    > >knife), or they can be totally bizarre weapons in their own right
    > >(porcupine quills?). They could be odd by their context (a human
    > >specializing in the dwarven urgosh) or ordinary items not meant for
    > >combat (a xbow bolt used for melee, perhaps, or a scalpel out of a
    > >healing kit).
    > >
    > >In invite you to let your imaginations run wild. They don't have to be
    > >practical weapons; that's why they'd be so unique. Just throw out
    > >anything at all.
    > >

    > Combat Cleaver.

    A cleaver makes a pretty good weapon anyway. I'd probably just stat it
    as a hand axe though.

    > Combat Crowbar.

    Some bonus to sundering armor?

    > Dwarven Combat Spade.

    Ooh! I love beating up zombies with a shovel in Fistfull of Boomstick.
    Poping thier heads off with the underhand swing is fun!

    > Dragon Tooth Pick.

    Interesting idea. I've had people use dragon teeth as daggers or
    swords before.

    > Orc Gutblade (based on an agricultural tool).
    > Dwarven Tunnel Blade.
    > Hurlbat (actual European throwing weapon).
    > War Goad.
    > Orc Bladed Bow.

    Not sure what any of these would be

    > Combat Shears.

    Probably terribly unwieldy, but I think "Devil May Cry"

    > Halfling Throwing "Hand".

    Eh what?

    > Shark Tooth Club.
    > Riflestock War Club.
    > Combat Wrench.

    Another good tool, probably just stated as a mace, although you could
    concievably disarm better with it.

    > Gnomish War Pepper Mill.

    LOL! That might actually be effective, make it like a morning star on
    the bottom and sprinkle pepper on your enemies at the same time. Of
    course like most Techno-Gnome inventions it could easily backfire,
    getting pepper in your own eyes, and making you sneeze a lot.

    > Dwarven All-thing (double weapon that has Blunt, Piercing and
    > Slashing elements).

    Morning Star on one end, Halberd head on the other?

    > Halfling Ankle Sword.
    > Elven Boarding Axe.
    > Dwarven Pipe Axe (peace pipe design).
    > Axe of Sorrow (multi-pointed axe based on a Native American design).
    > Modular Maul Weapon System.

    Er, what again on all of these.

    > Contact me if you would like to see illustrations of any of these
    > designs.

    That would be cool.

    - Justisaur

    snikers000@hotmail.com wrote:
    > I'll keep this short and sweet.
    >
    > Signature weapons have always had a special place in my heart for me.
    > Therefore, I am trying to think of odd, unusual weapons (or other
    > items, if you have any ideas). And for this, I'd like to ask if you
    > have any ideas.
    >
    > In invite you to let your imaginations run wild. They don't have to be
    > practical weapons; that's why they'd be so unique. Just throw out
    > anything at all.

    Having just watched "Merlin" last night; "The Singing Sword"

    The "Singing" refers to a distinctive twang, but D&D being what it is;

    The Singing Sword that sings:

    "Achy, Breaky Heart" ... heart seeking

    "Sesame Street" ... +1 to knowledge, local navigation

    .... off key, always. -4 to friend and foe concentration checks

    .... like Slim Whitman. Make fortitude save or stun one round. Martian
    heads explode.

    "Indiana Jones Theme" ... +1 luck bonus, all saves.

    MadKaugh

    Madkaugh wrote:
    > snikers000@hotmail.com wrote:

    > In order of suitability:
    >
    > obsidian (glass) - not crystaline - brittle
    >
    > flint (or agate) - cryptocrystaline (interlocked microcrystaline) -
    > tough, for a rock
    >
    > jade - two minerals, one cryptocrystaline, one with fiberous,
    > intertwined crystals - very tough, for a rock
    >
    > None of these will hold up as well as bronze, iron, or steel over time;
    > mainly because the metals can be sharpened in the field.
    >

    > MadKaugh

    Sorry, I realized that I got that order of suitability backwards.

    Add to that, jade is scarce enough to be considered a gemstone. A jade
    weapon should be valuable in it's own right.

    Flint is fairly common, and is found worldwide. Characters may have a
    piece for starting fires. The working characteristics are good, too,
    once you have the technique - the rapid one is a strike and cleave,
    like gem cutting. Flint nodules should have good trade value to
    flint-based economies.

    Obsidian is scarcer than flint, tends to be volcanic. Glass is neither
    plentiful nor cheap in real-world medieval times.

    MadKaugh

    Terry O'Brien wrote:

    > There's an old anime series called "Fist of the North Star" where one of the female characters had a set of killer yo-yos, which sprouted a series of
    > blades as they spun. She was quite proficient in slicing and dicing her opponents with them.

    Some people don't know it, but the yo-yo TOY was derived from an
    actual weapon.

    --
    Sea Wasp
    /^\
    ;;;
    Live Journal: http://www.livejournal.com/users/seawasp/

    On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 12:32:12 GMT, Sea Wasp wrote:

    >Terry O'Brien wrote:

    [bad wrapping fixed]
    >> There's an old anime series called "Fist of the North Star" where one
    >> of the female characters had a set of killer yo-yos, which sprouted a
    >> series of blades as they spun. She was quite proficient in slicing and
    >> dicing her opponents with them.
    >
    > Some people don't know it, but the yo-yo TOY was derived from an
    >actual weapon.

    ....essentially a rock on a string, which originated in the Philippines
    --
    auric dot auric at gmail dot com
    *****

    Two come to mind.

    In the Brian Daley novel The Doomfarers of Coramonde, a very minor
    character fancies himself something of a duellist. He fights with
    two swords, and has had them custom made so they fit in a single
    scabbard. One side of each hilt is flattened so they can fit
    together. Impractical, I'm sure, but he wasn't the most practical
    character in the world anyway.

    Doomfarers also had a couple of cool magical swords. The less
    flashy one is the one I preferred. Called Bar or Neverdull,
    I believe, it's only real enchantment was durability - it
    wouldn't break or dull, and that was pretty much it. It had
    something of a reputation because its wielders tended to
    do very brave things without receiving much acclaim.

    My other example comes from my pal Bill Svitavsky. He told
    me about an old AD&D game in which a barbarian or fighter
    character kept getting chained up in various dungeons. Having
    an 18/00 strength, he invariably broke the chains. Then he
    always had to beat a bunch of guards to death with the
    remnants of the chains around his wrists before he could
    find his gear. This got to be so common that eventually he
    just gave in and took Weapon Proficiency - Manacles.

    Pete

    Sea Wasp wrote:

    > Terry O'Brien wrote:
    >
    >> There's an old anime series called "Fist of the North Star" where one
    >> of the female characters had a set of killer yo-yos, which sprouted a
    >> series of
    >> blades as they spun. She was quite proficient in slicing and dicing
    >> her opponents with them.
    >

    > Some people don't know it, but the yo-yo TOY was derived from an
    > actual weapon.

    I always explain it as a primitive epiphany. "I want to throw a rock
    at that guy. But then I have no rock... I'll make a returning rock!" :)

    --

    Justisaur wrote:

    >Tetsubo wrote:
    >

    >>snikers000@hotmail.com wrote:
    >>

    >>>I'll keep this short and sweet.
    >>>
    >>>Signature weapons have always had a special place in my heart for me.
    >>>Therefore, I am trying to think of odd, unusual weapons (or other
    >>>items, if you have any ideas). And for this, I'd like to ask if you
    >>>have any ideas.
    >>>
    >>>They can be normal weapons with unusual characteristics (e.g., a flint
    >>>knife), or they can be totally bizarre weapons in their own right
    >>>(porcupine quills?). They could be odd by their context (a human
    >>>specializing in the dwarven urgosh) or ordinary items not meant for
    >>>combat (a xbow bolt used for melee, perhaps, or a scalpel out of a
    >>>healing kit).
    >>>
    >>>In invite you to let your imaginations run wild. They don't have to be
    >>>practical weapons; that's why they'd be so unique. Just throw out
    >>>anything at all.
    >>>

    >> Combat Cleaver.
    >>

    >A cleaver makes a pretty good weapon anyway. I'd probably just stat it
    >as a hand axe though.

    I drew it for a player that had a rogue that had a signature cleaver
    as a weapon.

    >> Combat Crowbar.
    >>

    >Some bonus to sundering armor?

    A tool that could double as a weapon. Again drawn for a player of a
    rogue.

    >> Dwarven Combat Spade.
    >>

    >Ooh! I love beating up zombies with a shovel in Fistfull of Boomstick.
    > Poping thier heads off with the underhand swing is fun!
    >

    >> Dragon Tooth Pick.
    >>

    >Interesting idea. I've had people use dragon teeth as daggers or
    >swords before.
    >

    >> Orc Gutblade (based on an agricultural tool).

    Large bladed two-handed weapon with a nasty, signature hook on one
    side.

    >> Dwarven Tunnel Blade.

    Think of a double bitted axe that you slip your arm into.
    Essentially you become the weapons shaft.

    >> Hurlbat (actual European throwing weapon).

    A throwing weapon designed so that any way you throw it, at least
    one point hits.

    >> War Goad.

    Based on an elephant goad.

    >> Orc Bladed Bow.

    Bow with bladed tips and a hand guard.

    >Not sure what any of these would be
    >

    >> Combat Shears.
    >>

    >Probably terribly unwieldy, but I think "Devil May Cry"

    I don't know the reference. But it is a set of large pincing shears
    that is mostly used to intimidate.

    >> Halfling Throwing "Hand".
    >>

    >Eh what?

    Think of a very large five-pointed shurikin. The five points give it
    the "hand" appearance.

    >> Shark Tooth Club.
    >> Riflestock War Club.
    >> Combat Wrench.
    >>

    >Another good tool, probably just stated as a mace, although you could
    >concievably disarm better with it.

    The sort of thing carried by an artificer.

    >> Gnomish War Pepper Mill.
    >>

    >LOL! That might actually be effective, make it like a morning star on
    >the bottom and sprinkle pepper on your enemies at the same time. Of
    >course like most Techno-Gnome inventions it could easily backfire,
    >getting pepper in your own eyes, and making you sneeze a lot.

    Yep. Drawn for a player with a Gnome adventurer character.

    >> Dwarven All-thing (double weapon that has Blunt, Piercing and
    >>Slashing elements).
    >>

    >Morning Star on one end, Halberd head on the other?

    Spear point on one end, weighted Axe on the other.

    >> Halfling Ankle Sword.

    A curved two-handed Small weapon designed to hamstring Large foes.

    >> Elven Boarding Axe.

    Boarding axe with a decidedly Elven flair.

    >> Dwarven Pipe Axe (peace pipe design).

    An axe with a pipe built into it that has that Dwarven look.

    >> Axe of Sorrow (multi-pointed axe based on a Native American design).

    This one you have to see... :)

    >> Modular Maul Weapon System.

    A Maul that has multiple, replaceable striking heads. One for
    attacking unarmoured foes, one for armour penetration and one for
    general labor.

    >Er, what again on all of these.
    >

    >> Contact me if you would like to see illustrations of any of these
    >>designs.
    >>

    >That would be cool.
    >
    >- Justisaur

    Feel free to email me. I could throw together a zipped file if you
    have a decent connection. Or send individual files if you desire.

    --

    Auric__ wrote:
    > On 12 Aug 2005 13:59:13 -0700, Madkaugh wrote:
    >
    > >Can of Mace - Gnomish invention, sprays lead pellets for 1d6 blugeoning
    > >damage, one shot.
    >
    > Why not just have it spray a literal mace? <g>
    > [squirt] >>THUNK<< "ow!"

    I like both these. I swear I've heard of the can of mace which flings
    a mace when used before.

    It reminds me of a favorite "artifact" I had back in 2e days. It was a
    buzz mace. You threw it like a club, and it took off like a wire
    guided rocket at whoever you targeted, had a firey explosion when it
    hit (something like an extra 3d6 damage in 5'r), then returned. It did
    have a drawback in that it made a very loud buzzing noise whenever you
    used it, and you didn't really want to use it in hand to hand.

    - Justisaur

    On 12 Aug 2005 17:02:39 -0700, Justisaur wrote:

    >Auric__ wrote:
    >> On 12 Aug 2005 13:59:13 -0700, Madkaugh wrote:
    >>
    >> >Can of Mace - Gnomish invention, sprays lead pellets for 1d6 blugeoning
    >> >damage, one shot.
    >>
    >> Why not just have it spray a literal mace? <g>
    >> [squirt] >>THUNK<< "ow!"
    >>

    >I like both these. I swear I've heard of the can of mace which flings
    >a mace when used before.

    I'd've been surprised if nobody else thought of it before.
    --
    auric dot auric at gmail dot com
    *****
    The First Myth of Management: It exists.

    In article <1123864162.937462.181170@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    justisaur@gmail.com says...

    > > Dragon Tooth Pick.
    >
    > Interesting idea. I've had people use dragon teeth as daggers or
    > swords before.

    But is it a dragontooth pick or a dragon toothpick? Both could
    concievably be weapons...

    > > Contact me if you would like to see illustrations of any of these
    > > designs.
    >
    > That would be cool.

    I second that.

    --
    Jasin Zujovic
    jzujovic@inet.hr

    Jasin Zujovic wrote:

    >In article <1123864162.937462.181170@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    >justisaur@gmail.com says...
    >

    >>> Dragon Tooth Pick.
    >>>

    >>Interesting idea. I've had people use dragon teeth as daggers or
    >>swords before.
    >>

    >But is it a dragontooth pick or a dragon toothpick? Both could
    >concievably be weapons...

    A pick made from a dragon tooth. :)

    --

    Peter Meilinger wrote:
    > Two come to mind.
    >
    > In the Brian Daley novel The Doomfarers of Coramonde, a very minor
    > character fancies himself something of a duellist. He fights with
    > two swords, and has had them custom made so they fit in a single
    > scabbard. One side of each hilt is flattened so they can fit
    > together. Impractical, I'm sure, but he wasn't the most practical
    > character in the world anyway.
    >
    > Doomfarers also had a couple of cool magical swords. The less
    > flashy one is the one I preferred. Called Bar or Neverdull,
    > I believe, it's only real enchantment was durability - it
    > wouldn't break or dull, and that was pretty much it. It had
    > something of a reputation because its wielders tended to
    > do very brave things without receiving much acclaim.

    Not quite. Bar or "Never Blunted", wasn't just durable, it was
    supernaturally sharp. It cut through heavy armor like cheese. Bar was
    a Sword of Sharpness.

    I love that series. It also featured the Lord of the Just and Sudden
    Reach, "Reacher", who fought with cestus and clawed glove, the mystic
    gem Calundronius, which negated magic in its vicinity, the flaming
    sword Flarecore, AKA Blazetongue, and a battle between a
    fire-breathing dragon and a Vietnam-era Armored Personnel Carrier.

    One of my characters used to use the Anai-K'ota, a stafflike weapon
    with two crescent-shaped blades (one on each end) which could break
    apart at the ends to be a sort of entangling bladed staff.

    --
    Sea Wasp
    /^\

    In article <-vWdnUttWcJxRmHfRVn-sQ@comcast.com>, tetsubo@comcast.net
    says...

    > >> There's an old anime series called "Fist of the North Star" where one
    > >> of the female characters had a set of killer yo-yos, which sprouted a
    > >> series of
    > >> blades as they spun. She was quite proficient in slicing and dicing
    > >> her opponents with them.
    > >
    > > Some people don't know it, but the yo-yo TOY was derived from an
    > > actual weapon.
    >
    > I always explain it as a primitive epiphany. "I want to throw a rock
    > at that guy. But then I have no rock... I'll make a returning rock!" :)

    Cheapest magic weapon evar. :)

    --
    Jasin Zujovic
    jzujovic@inet.hr

    Justisaur <justisaur@gmail.com> wrote:
    > Tetsubo wrote:
    >>
    >> Dwarven Combat Spade.
    >
    > Ooh! I love beating up zombies with a shovel in Fistfull of Boomstick.
    > Poping thier heads off with the underhand swing is fun!

    Entrenching tools make really vicious weapons in close fighting. There
    are certainly better, but you can do a lot of damage with one, quickly,
    if you know how.

    >> Combat Wrench.
    >
    > Another good tool, probably just stated as a mace, although you could
    > concievably disarm better with it.

    I don't see why. While it may have prongs on the end (used to hold the
    nut or bolt) they wouldn't be terribly practical to try to trap a weapon
    with. I'd go with club, or maybe mace. It'd take a damn big wrench to
    be used as a mace, though -- the mass distribution is closer to that of
    a club.

    Keith

    "jcharpak@att.net" <jcharpak@att.net> wrote:

    >Sea Wasp wrote:
    >> Terry O'Brien wrote:
    >>
    >> > There's an old anime series called "Fist of the North Star" where one of the female characters had a set of killer yo-yos, which sprouted a series of
    >> > blades as they spun. She was quite proficient in slicing and dicing her opponents with them.
    >>
    >> Some people don't know it, but the yo-yo TOY was derived from an
    >> actual weapon.
    >>

    >Is that the same thing as what a bad guy used in the James Bond film
    >"Octopussy"? It certainly looked like a giant yo-yo with blades.

    I thought it was a circular saw on a bungee cord.

    Terry O'Brien wrote:

    >"jcharpak@att.net" <jcharpak@att.net> wrote:
    >

    >>Sea Wasp wrote:

    >>> Some people don't know it, but the yo-yo TOY was derived from an
    >>>actual weapon.
    >>>

    >>Is that the same thing as what a bad guy used in the James Bond film
    >>"Octopussy"? It certainly looked like a giant yo-yo with blades.
    >>

    >I thought it was a circular saw on a bungee cord.

    Essentially, yes.

    --

    ]
    ] Signature weapons have always had a special place in my heart for me.
    ] Therefore, I am trying to think of odd, unusual weapons (or other
    ] items, if you have any ideas). And for this, I'd like to ask if you
    ] have any ideas.

    A dagger that can cast a fireball with the push of a button on the
    hilt. 5 charges, holder of the dagger can designate where the
    fireball goes. And any class can use it. Has to be recharged by the
    appropriate character class.

    JimP.
    --
    http://www.linuxgazette.net/ Linux Gazette
    http://crestar.drivein-jim.net/ July 23, 2005

    Peter Meilinger wrote:
    > D.J. <jolly73@boingcableone.net> wrote:
    >
    > >A dagger that can cast a fireball with the push of a button on the
    > >hilt. 5 charges, holder of the dagger can designate where the
    > >fireball goes. And any class can use it. Has to be recharged by the
    > >appropriate character class.
    >
    > I think it'd be more interesting if the fireball had no range.
    > Great for high level characters up against hordes of kobolds.

    How about a magic crossbow that can be loaded with
    a wand. When the trigger is pulled, the spell in
    the wand is triggered. I am blatantly stealing this
    from a old issue of Dungeon mag.

    How would you balance this out so it would not become
    overpowering? It gives a limited spellcasting ability
    to players that could otherwise not cast spells.

    On 13 Aug 2005 11:32:35 -0700, decalod85 wrote:

    >Peter Meilinger wrote:
    >> D.J. <jolly73@boingcableone.net> wrote:
    >>
    >> >A dagger that can cast a fireball with the push of a button on the
    >> >hilt. 5 charges, holder of the dagger can designate where the
    >> >fireball goes. And any class can use it. Has to be recharged by the
    >> >appropriate character class.
    >>
    >> I think it'd be more interesting if the fireball had no range.
    >> Great for high level characters up against hordes of kobolds.
    >
    >How about a magic crossbow that can be loaded with
    >a wand. When the trigger is pulled, the spell in
    >the wand is triggered. I am blatantly stealing this
    >from a old issue of Dungeon mag.
    >
    >How would you balance this out so it would not become
    >overpowering? It gives a limited spellcasting ability
    >to players that could otherwise not cast spells.

    Small cumulative chance per shot - say 5% - of a "misfire" - the spell
    affects the shooter instead of the target, or the spells fizzles, or
    perhaps some semi-random effect.
    --
    auric dot auric at gmail dot com
    *****
    Behind every great man is an amazed mother-in-law.

    Sea Wasp <seawaspobvious@obvioussgeinc.com> wrote:
    >Peter Meilinger wrote:

    >> Doomfarers also had a couple of cool magical swords. The less
    >> flashy one is the one I preferred. Called Bar or Neverdull,
    >> I believe, it's only real enchantment was durability - it
    >> wouldn't break or dull, and that was pretty much it. It had
    >> something of a reputation because its wielders tended to
    >> do very brave things without receiving much acclaim.

    > Not quite. Bar or "Never Blunted", wasn't just durable, it was
    >supernaturally sharp. It cut through heavy armor like cheese. Bar was
    >a Sword of Sharpness.

    You're right that it was super sharp, but was it a true Sword
    of Sharpness? I thought the SoS gave wounds that couldn't heal?
    If I'm remembering correctly, the evil wizard in Doomfarers had
    a sword like that. Someone did, anyway. I remember the race to
    the magical healing spring or some such.

    Clearly, it's been too long since I read the books.

    Pete

    "Madkaugh" <madkaugh@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > snikers000@hotmail.com wrote:
    >> I'll keep this short and sweet.
    >>
    >> Signature weapons have always had a special place in my heart for me.
    >> Therefore, I am trying to think of odd, unusual weapons (or other
    >> items, if you have any ideas). And for this, I'd like to ask if you
    >> have any ideas.
    >>
    >> In invite you to let your imaginations run wild. They don't have to be
    >> practical weapons; that's why they'd be so unique. Just throw out
    >> anything at all.
    >
    > Having just watched "Merlin" last night; "The Singing Sword"
    >
    > The "Singing" refers to a distinctive twang, but D&D being what it is;
    >
    > The Singing Sword that sings:
    >
    > "Achy, Breaky Heart" ... heart seeking
    >
    > "Sesame Street" ... +1 to knowledge, local navigation
    >
    > ... off key, always. -4 to friend and foe concentration checks
    >
    > ... like Slim Whitman. Make fortitude save or stun one round. Martian
    > heads explode.
    >
    > "Indiana Jones Theme" ... +1 luck bonus, all saves.

    Adding to this one:

    "Imperial March" from Star Wars, Good-aligned creatures are at -3 to morale
    checks

    "Jaws Theme" Activates in or near bodies of salt water, acts as the spell
    'Fear'

    "ET Theme" On a random encounter check (D% 90-100) an outsider teleports to
    eat all of your Reeeeses Pieeeces and skitter off to pound the beer in the
    fridge, also grants a telepathic/empathic link to wielder.

    "Star Trek Theme", referencing TV series in either case
    Effect only happens if wielded by the party leader, as a cursed item
    (Shatner Version) Causes a personaity shift in the party leader resulting in
    all negotiation senarios becoming a 'Let God sort 'em out' shoot out, also
    causes the leader to hate heavily wrinkled foreheads
    (Stewart Version) Personality shift makes party leader talk all adversaries
    to death, also has a facination for ordering his/her tea "Tea, Earl Grey,
    Hot"

    -==-
    Jerry Chesko

    Peter Meilinger wrote:
    > Sea Wasp <seawaspobvious@obvioussgeinc.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Peter Meilinger wrote:
    >

    >>>Doomfarers also had a couple of cool magical swords. The less
    >>>flashy one is the one I preferred. Called Bar or Neverdull,
    >>>I believe, it's only real enchantment was durability - it
    >>>wouldn't break or dull, and that was pretty much it. It had
    >>>something of a reputation because its wielders tended to
    >>>do very brave things without receiving much acclaim.
    >>

    >> Not quite. Bar or "Never Blunted", wasn't just durable, it was
    >>supernaturally sharp. It cut through heavy armor like cheese. Bar was
    >>a Sword of Sharpness.
    >

    > You're right that it was super sharp, but was it a true Sword
    > of Sharpness? I thought the SoS gave wounds that couldn't heal?

    We never got a chance to see if they would heal. You could call it a
    Vorpal Blade, then. It cut heads, legs, and bodies easily.

    > If I'm remembering correctly, the evil wizard in Doomfarers had
    > a sword like that. Someone did, anyway. I remember the race to
    > the magical healing spring or some such.

    Yardiff Bey's sword Dirge, unmaker of many things including Acre-Fin
    and Evergray.

    --
    Sea Wasp
    /^\

    On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 11:02:44 -0500, D.J. <jolly73@boingcableone.net>
    scribed into the ether:

    >snikers000@hotmail.com wrote:
    >] I'll keep this short and sweet.
    >]
    >] Signature weapons have always had a special place in my heart for me.
    >] Therefore, I am trying to think of odd, unusual weapons (or other
    >] items, if you have any ideas). And for this, I'd like to ask if you
    >] have any ideas.
    >
    >A dagger that can cast a fireball with the push of a button on the
    >hilt. 5 charges, holder of the dagger can designate where the
    >fireball goes. And any class can use it. Has to be recharged by the
    >appropriate character class.

    Even better: Weapon that casts fireball on a critical hit. Best used with a
    ring of fire resistance, and while not in proximity to teammates.

    On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 11:54:23 -0700, Auric__ wrote:

    > On 13 Aug 2005 11:32:35 -0700, decalod85 wrote:

    >>How about a magic crossbow that can be loaded with
    >>a wand. When the trigger is pulled, the spell in
    >>the wand is triggered. I am blatantly stealing this
    >>from a old issue of Dungeon mag.
    >>
    >>How would you balance this out so it would not become
    >>overpowering? It gives a limited spellcasting ability
    >>to players that could otherwise not cast spells.
    >
    > Small cumulative chance per shot - say 5% - of a "misfire" - the spell
    > affects the shooter instead of the target, or the spells fizzles, or
    > perhaps some semi-random effect.

    Another limitation might be to limit the accuracy of the 'wandbow':

    At a first blush, ranged touch for targeted spells, while AE spells
    scatter.

    --
    Phoenix

    On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 03:58:45 -0400, Rick Pikul wrote:

    >On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 11:54:23 -0700, Auric__ wrote:
    >
    >> On 13 Aug 2005 11:32:35 -0700, decalod85 wrote:
    >
    >>>How about a magic crossbow that can be loaded with
    >>>a wand. When the trigger is pulled, the spell in
    >>>the wand is triggered. I am blatantly stealing this
    >>>from a old issue of Dungeon mag.
    >>>
    >>>How would you balance this out so it would not become
    >>>overpowering? It gives a limited spellcasting ability
    >>>to players that could otherwise not cast spells.
    >>
    >> Small cumulative chance per shot - say 5% - of a "misfire" - the spell
    >> affects the shooter instead of the target, or the spells fizzles, or
    >> perhaps some semi-random effect.
    >
    > Another limitation might be to limit the accuracy of the 'wandbow':
    >
    > At a first blush, ranged touch for targeted spells, while AE spells
    >scatter.

    Here's a thought: no unusual limitations to the crossbow - but if the
    target survives the shot, they can take the wand (assuming it has
    charges left and wasn't destroyed in the shot) and turn it against you.
    --
    auric dot auric at gmail dot com
    *****
    You haven't done anything that could be called decent in your twenty-seven
    years of life. What's going to be so magical about the next seven hours?

    Auric__ wrote:
    > On 12 Aug 2005 17:02:39 -0700, Justisaur wrote:
    >

    > >Auric__ wrote:

    > >> Why not just have it spray a literal mace? <g>
    > >> [squirt] >>THUNK<< "ow!"
    > >>

    > >I like both these. I swear I've heard of the can of mace which flings
    > >a mace when used before.
    >
    > I'd've been surprised if nobody else thought of it before.

    A german folk tale features a similar item named "Knüppel aus dem
    Sack",
    ("Cudgel out of the Sack"). The name is the command phrase too; when
    spoken the cudgel jumps out and beats the victim at which the
    user points.

    LL

    On 14 Aug 2005 12:06:03 -0700, Lorenz.Lang@gmx.de wrote:

    >Auric__ wrote:

    >> >I like both these. I swear I've heard of the can of mace which flings
    >> >a mace when used before.
    >>
    >> I'd've been surprised if nobody else thought of it before.
    >
    >A german folk tale features a similar item named "Knüppel aus dem
    >Sack",
    >("Cudgel out of the Sack"). The name is the command phrase too; when
    >spoken the cudgel jumps out and beats the victim at which the
    >user points.

    I like that. <g>
    --
    auric dot auric at gmail dot com
    *****
    Before the internet, the village idiot would stay in his own village.

    snikers000@hotmail.com wrote:
    > I'll keep this short and sweet.
    >
    > Signature weapons have always had a special place in my heart for me.
    > Therefore, I am trying to think of odd, unusual weapons (or other
    > items, if you have any ideas). And for this, I'd like to ask if you
    > have any ideas.
    >
    > They can be normal weapons with unusual characteristics (e.g., a flint
    > knife), or they can be totally bizarre weapons in their own right
    > (porcupine quills?). They could be odd by their context (a human
    > specializing in the dwarven urgosh) or ordinary items not meant for
    > combat (a xbow bolt used for melee, perhaps, or a scalpel out of a
    > healing kit).
    >
    > In invite you to let your imaginations run wild. They don't have to be
    > practical weapons; that's why they'd be so unique. Just throw out
    > anything at all.

    The Jester's Sceptre [Rod]
    Made of wood and painted, it looks like a grinning jester's
    head on a stick, complete with funny cap of cloth glued to it
    with tiny bells at the points etc.

    It functions as a club +1 for proficiency purpose,
    but does no damage. You have to make touch attacks with it.
    On a successful hit you roll 1d4 to see which spell
    affects the target:

    1 Hideous Laughter (Will, DC 15)
    2 Hold Person (Will, DC 16)
    3 Slow (Will, DC 17)
    4 Deep Slumber (Will, DC 17)

    With a standard action you can invoke the spell-like ability
    of this rod: Blink as the spell for 3d12 rounds, but the power
    cannot be dismissed. The DM rolls the dice, you don't know
    how long it'll work.

    If intelligent, it will always be chaotic.

    Gravebringer [cursed minor artifact]
    Bastard sword +2, Keen, Flaming Burst, Intelligent weapon
    Made from a black metal only found on an abyssmal outer plane.
    Always sheathed in blueish flames when drawn, 10 ft. bright,
    plus 20 ft. shadowy illumination. There are no command
    words to stop or start the fire.

    Alignment: Chaotic Evil
    Int: 15, Wis: 15, Cha: 20; EGO: 22 (= Will DC against domination)
    Communication: Speech, Telepathy (Common, Abyssal, Draconic)
    Senses: 120 ft. darkvision, blindsense, and hearing
    Lesser Powers:
    1. 'Deathwatch' continually active
    2. 10 ranks in Diplomacy (+5 Cha)
    3. 10 ranks in Intimidate (+5 Cha)

    Once per day, but only after it gained dominance over it's
    wielder, Gravebringer may cast a 'Circle of Death' at 12th level.
    It will only use this power in crowded places, in the middle
    of combat etc without any consideration. The first use should
    be a big surprise for everybody including the wielder!
    The 'Circle of Death' kills 13d4 HD in 40-ft.-radius burst,
    Fort DC 20, but creatures with 9 or more HD can't be affected.

    The wielder of Gravebringer is not affected by this power,
    but gains as many temporary hit points as the the killed
    creatures had for 13 rounds.
    On the downside the wielder must roll a Fort saving throw
    vs. DC 20 or suffers an ability drain: 1 point from each of
    Str, Con, and Cha. These points are immediately lent back
    to the character; this power functioning with a range of
    10 feet. So the wielder will not notice the change as long
    as he keeps the sword within 10 feet.
    Gravebringer will want to stay in this range for sure.

    When the wielder is drained to an ability of 0 in a score,
    Gravebringer will begin to search a new owner sooner or later.
    It prefers to abandon the current wielder in deadly peril,
    taking away the lent points, dropping the wielder to 0 in
    one or more abilities with glee.

    LL

    Auric__ <not.my.real@email.address> wrote:
    > On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 03:58:45 -0400, Rick Pikul wrote:

    >>> Small cumulative chance per shot - say 5% - of a "misfire" - the
    >>> spell affects the shooter instead of the target, or the spells
    >>> fizzles, or perhaps some semi-random effect.
    >>
    >> Another limitation might be to limit the accuracy of the
    >> 'wandbow':
    >>
    >> At a first blush, ranged touch for targeted spells, while AE
    >> spells scatter.
    >
    > Here's a thought: no unusual limitations to the crossbow - but if the
    > target survives the shot, they can take the wand (assuming it has
    > charges left and wasn't destroyed in the shot) and turn it against you.

    "the spell in the wand is triggered", not "the wand is launched"

    You could price such an item in a couple of ways that come to mind.

    .. big bonus to Use Magic Device (+ allows use untrained)

    .. if you posit a feat 'Wand User'[1], and an item granting access to a
    feat being worth (IIRC) 5000gp, then as a 5000gp weapon adder you
    could make a crossbow a wandbow -- and in fact, it might be better to
    make it a specific weapon (like the luckblade).

    [1] Wand User
    Prereq : ?
    Benefit: Choose one spell list. You may activate spell trigger
    items that use spells from this list.

    Note: I have just made this up as an illustration; it feels like it
    has some pretty broad ramifications, but I haven't put much thought
    into what they are.

    Keith

    Keith Davies <keith.davies@kjdavies.org> wrote in

    > Auric__ <not.my.real@email.address> wrote:

    >> Here's a thought: no unusual limitations to the crossbow - but if the
    >> target survives the shot, they can take the wand (assuming it has
    >> charges left and wasn't destroyed in the shot) and turn it against you.
    >
    > "the spell in the wand is triggered", not "the wand is launched"

    There's an idea, though. A crossbow designed to actually launch the wand,
    and all charges are immediately expended on whatever the wand hits. Don't
    miss.

    On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 18:37:51 GMT, Keith Davies wrote:

    >Auric__ <not.my.real@email.address> wrote:

    >>> Another limitation might be to limit the accuracy of the
    >>> 'wandbow':
    >>>
    >>> At a first blush, ranged touch for targeted spells, while AE
    >>> spells scatter.
    >>
    >> Here's a thought: no unusual limitations to the crossbow - but if the
    >> target survives the shot, they can take the wand (assuming it has
    >> charges left and wasn't destroyed in the shot) and turn it against you.
    >
    >"the spell in the wand is triggered", not "the wand is launched"

    Arf, sorry, my brain associated the two.
    --
    auric dot auric at gmail dot com
    *****
    Great, my two least favorite things - flesh-rending monsters, and bad
    spelling.

    Chipacabra wrote:
    > Keith Davies <keith.davies@kjdavies.org> wrote in
    >

    >>Auric__ <not.my.real@email.address> wrote:
    >

    >>>Here's a thought: no unusual limitations to the crossbow - but if the
    >>>target survives the shot, they can take the wand (assuming it has
    >>>charges left and wasn't destroyed in the shot) and turn it against you.
    >>
    >>"the spell in the wand is triggered", not "the wand is launched"
    >

    > There's an idea, though. A crossbow designed to actually launch the wand,
    > and all charges are immediately expended on whatever the wand hits. Don't
    > miss.

    Then there was the player who wanted his character to have a crossbow
    with six wands
    instead of a bowstring across the bow iron and be able to pull a trigger
    and fire all of them
    simultaneously.

    Chipacabra <chipb@efn.org> wrote:
    > Keith Davies <keith.davies@kjdavies.org> wrote in
    >
    >> Auric__ <not.my.real@email.address> wrote:
    >
    >>> Here's a thought: no unusual limitations to the crossbow - but if the
    >>> target survives the shot, they can take the wand (assuming it has
    >>> charges left and wasn't destroyed in the shot) and turn it against you.
    >>
    >> "the spell in the wand is triggered", not "the wand is launched"
    >
    > There's an idea, though. A crossbow designed to actually launch the
    > wand, and all charges are immediately expended on whatever the wand
    > hits. Don't miss.

    *killer* effect -- anything you hit with a wand of /fireball/, that
    isn't immune to fire, is *hosed*. 50 * 5d6 is >850 points of damage...
    even if they get (and make) the save, that's still >425 points of
    damage. This qualifies as 'Massive Damage', I'd think, and the Fort
    save would be hard to make.

    It's probably reasonable to take away the save of the creature you hit;
    it is clearly established that it is at ground zero. Any creature that
    wasn't hit (i.e. anything near the target, or the target if you missed)
    wouldn't lose the save.

    Of course, it *is* an expensive shot. (750 * 3 * 5 ==) 11,250gp is a
    lot to spend on something like this. OTOH, being able to do damage
    equivalent to a *250d6* fireball should not be cheap.

    Energy resistance isn't much help here. Of course, by the time this
    might be considered a viable tactic on a regular basis (as opposed to
    emergency), fire immunity isn't that hard to come by... and evasion is
    only a second-level Rogue ability (i.e. easy to get).

    Keith

Games Video Games