Mythos CCG - Sefton Asylum location card question

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.misc (More info?)

Hello group,

Could someone explain the Sefton Asylum location card to me. The
special effects on the card have me utterly confused. The text says I
should set aside the card, reshuffle my story deck, randomly discard,
then replace card. The card's use seems very awkward to me. Thanks.

- Keen Anthony
5 answers Last reply
More about mythos sefton asylum location card question
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.misc (More info?)

    On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 04:35:45 -0500, Keen Anthony
    <keenanthony@dontspam.me> wrote:

    >
    >Hello group,
    >
    >Could someone explain the Sefton Asylum location card to me. The
    >special effects on the card have me utterly confused. The text says I
    >should set aside the card, reshuffle my story deck, randomly discard,
    >then replace card. The card's use seems very awkward to me. Thanks.
    >

    So, you're looking at the strategic implications of the card, or
    you're confused on the rules concerning it? You actually seem to be
    pretty straight on the rules part; when you play it, set it aside,
    shuffle your story deck (faces away from you), and randomly discard a
    card from that deck. Replace your story deck (in its newly shuffled
    order) and replace Sefton Asylum on top of it.
    As far as special effects go, look at the first line of text. "You
    electric shock therapy was a success..." Obviously, you've suffered
    some memory loss due to this therapy. But look at what you get for
    it! +5 Sanity.
    Strategically, I believe the effect of the card is actually a
    drawback, just like marking it with the "Uniqueness" dot (which
    automatically restricts the card to one-of in your deck). As for why
    it needed those drawbacks... Well, it's the only Sanitarium available
    in Miskatonic Valley. That explains the Uniqueness dot as well (which
    is usually included more for flavor, than any sort of game balancing).
    There also don't seem to be many Sanitariums available in Lovecraft
    Country in general (I only own 3, they all have Uniqueness dots as
    well, but I've only invested heavily in the Necronomicon set).

    Lack of card text on the 'net is annoying...


    -- pseudosoldier
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.misc (More info?)

    On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 01:29:23 GMT, pseudosoldier@hotmail.com
    (pseudosoldier) wrote:


    >So, you're looking at the strategic implications of the card, or
    >you're confused on the rules concerning it? You actually seem to be
    >pretty straight on the rules part; when you play it, set it aside,
    >shuffle your story deck (faces away from you), and randomly discard a
    >card from that deck. Replace your story deck (in its newly shuffled
    >order) and replace Sefton Asylum on top of it.
    >As far as special effects go, look at the first line of text. "You
    >electric shock therapy was a success..." Obviously, you've suffered
    >some memory loss due to this therapy. But look at what you get for
    >it! +5 Sanity.
    >Strategically, I believe the effect of the card is actually a
    >drawback, just like marking it with the "Uniqueness" dot (which
    >automatically restricts the card to one-of in your deck). As for why
    >it needed those drawbacks... Well, it's the only Sanitarium available
    >in Miskatonic Valley. That explains the Uniqueness dot as well (which
    >is usually included more for flavor, than any sort of game balancing).
    >There also don't seem to be many Sanitariums available in Lovecraft
    >Country in general (I only own 3, they all have Uniqueness dots as
    >well, but I've only invested heavily in the Necronomicon set).
    >
    >Lack of card text on the 'net is annoying...
    >
    >
    >-- pseudosoldier


    Hi pseudosolider,

    Thanks for the response. It's good to know people are still playing
    Mythos. I've just dusted off my boxes and was trying to get back into
    action. I was confused by how to use the card. I was basically
    second-guessing my reading of the instructions, so thanks for the
    clarification.

    So the card remains my top level location, but I end up randomly
    DISCARDING (into my discard pile) a card from within my story deck. I
    suppose the +5 to sanity I gain is offset by the possibility of losing
    a card that might have been needed to fulfill an ADVENTURE. I'm
    assuming that once I discard a card, I loss the card as well for
    purposes of adventures.

    I have four asylums available to me in Lovecraft Country, all unique:

    Sefton Asylum
    Conanicut Island Private Hospital
    Massachusetts State Hospital
    Asylum For The Deranged

    I didn't get a chance to delve in the Necronomican set. You wouldn't
    happen to know of a master list of all available cards (as well as
    attributes)? The Net is pretty dry. I've got a collection of Chaosium
    digests vol 1-12 to read through, and that's pretty much it.

    - Keen Anthony
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.misc (More info?)

    On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 03:36:27 -0500, Keen Anthony
    <keenanthony@dontspam.me> wrote:

    >I didn't get a chance to delve in the Necronomican set. You wouldn't
    >happen to know of a master list of all available cards (as well as
    >attributes)? The Net is pretty dry. I've got a collection of Chaosium
    >digests vol 1-12 to read through, and that's pretty much it.
    >
    The Legends of the Necronomicon set is one of the three sets in
    "Limited Edition." The other sets were Expeditions of Miskatonic
    University and Cthulhu Rising. In each of these sets, you would get
    cards from that particular set, and cards from the "Starter" set.
    The only card list I know of is here:
    http://www.chaosium.com/mythos/cardlists/limited.shtml

    -- pseudosoldier
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.misc (More info?)

    On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 23:49:34 GMT, pseudosoldier@hotmail.com
    (pseudosoldier) wrote:

    >On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 03:36:27 -0500, Keen Anthony
    ><keenanthony@dontspam.me> wrote:
    >
    >>I didn't get a chance to delve in the Necronomican set. You wouldn't
    >>happen to know of a master list of all available cards (as well as
    >>attributes)? The Net is pretty dry. I've got a collection of Chaosium
    >>digests vol 1-12 to read through, and that's pretty much it.
    >>
    >The Legends of the Necronomicon set is one of the three sets in
    >"Limited Edition." The other sets were Expeditions of Miskatonic
    >University and Cthulhu Rising. In each of these sets, you would get
    >cards from that particular set, and cards from the "Starter" set.
    >The only card list I know of is here:
    >http://www.chaosium.com/mythos/cardlists/limited.shtml
    >
    >-- pseudosoldier

    Thanks,

    I wish I had saved the booster pack packages. I need to sit down some
    night and list where each of my cards come from. :)

    - Keen Anthony
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.misc (More info?)

    On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 18:05:07 -0500, Keen Anthony
    <keenanthony@dontspam.me> wrote:

    >On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 23:49:34 GMT, pseudosoldier@hotmail.com
    >(pseudosoldier) wrote:
    >
    >>The Legends of the Necronomicon set is one of the three sets in
    >>"Limited Edition." The other sets were Expeditions of Miskatonic
    >>University and Cthulhu Rising. In each of these sets, you would get
    >>cards from that particular set, and cards from the "Starter" set.
    >>The only card list I know of is here:
    >>http://www.chaosium.com/mythos/cardlists/limited.shtml
    >>
    >>-- pseudosoldier
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >I wish I had saved the booster pack packages. I need to sit down some
    >night and list where each of my cards come from. :)
    >
    While that might have helped, keep in mind that in each booster pack
    you get: A) cards from that specific set, and B) cards from the
    "basic" set. You could pull the same card in a booster of each of the
    three (sub-) sets.
    The other way to get those "basic" cards was to get the
    now-very-scarce starter decks. (I never got any; my brother did, but
    I think he never had a chance to play the game.)

    -- pseudosoldier
Ask a new question

Read More

Games Video Games