Mythos vs. Call of Cthulu

Christoph

Distinguished
May 13, 2004
Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.misc (More info?)

How is CoC different from Mythos? For those who've played
both, which do you think is better?

thnx,
Christoph

"Christoph" <jcboget@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<2rakqoF18ecquU1@uni-berlin.de>...
> How is CoC different from Mythos? For those who've played
> both, which do you think is better?
>
> thnx,
> Christoph

CoC is much more of a traditional CCG design than Mythos was. In CoC,
you have, basically, two players fighting over stories that they are
trying to "solve", and each turn you make characters or monsters to
try and solve stories. Where Mythos had a very unique kind of
structure, with players taking alternating actions each turn, and
victory coming from getting all the stuff you needed to complete an
adventure, CoC is much closer to standard CCG, liks Magic, Shadowfist,
or VS. Basically, each turn, a player plays a resource on a domain
(basically, playing land), and you spend your resources to make
monsters, characters, or support cards. You then have a story phase,
where you send your guys to go try and solve stories (basically,
tapping your monsters to go fight somewhere). You opponent send his
untapped guys (monsters or characters) to go and mess with you at
stories, there are various fights--Terror, which makes characters go
insane, Combat, which makes things die, Arcane, which untaps someone,
and Investigate, which gets you an extra counter on that story.
Whoever wins gets to put some counters on a story. When you get 5
counters on a story (of which there are three of a fixed deck of 10 in
play at a given time), you solve that story. When you solve 3 stories,
you win the game. Solving a story gives you the option of setting off
a mass effect (kill all characters/monsters in play; both players
reshuffle their discards into their deck, both players go get a card
and put it in play, whatever). During the story phase (when your guys
and monsters are interacting at the stories), both players can play
action cards (event/instant type cards) that do things like kill
folks, send them back to their owners hands, makes them go insane,
increases or decreases abilities, or whatever.

Characters and monsters are represented by cards with a skill number
(how good they are at solving stories) and a number of icons that
match the 4 fight or struggle phases (terror, combat, arcane,
investigate). Guys can get killed by being wounded (some guys take a
few wounds to kill) or go insane, which removes them from play for a
couple turns. There are, I think, 7 factions (Cthulhu, Hastur, Yog
Sototh, Shubniggurath, Police, Mobsters, and Academics, bascially),
and each faction has different strengths and weaknesses (Cthulhu has a
lot of good monsters with a lot of terror; Police have a lot of combat
and denial/removal; Academics are very good at investigate and are
difficult to make insane, etc.). You can freely mix factions in your
deck--last night I was playing a Cthulhu/Police deck, where Elder
Shoggoth got armed with a Tommy Gun, for instance.

The game uses the new, cool theory in CCG design, where instead of
having to put resources in your deck (Land form Magic, Feng Shui from
Shadowfist, whatever), any card in your deck can operate as a
resource--every turn, you draw 2 cards, and presumably you play one of
those card each turn as a resource (you have 3 "domains", which you
place your resources under, so you don't get confused as to what cards
are in play and what are resources, and each turn you can use each
domain to give you money/energy/whatever to spend equal to the number
of resources attached--good monsters cost, like, 4 to play, most
actions cost in the 2-3 range, big expensive monsters cost 6 or 7 to
play) so you can buy more guys, support cards (locations and the
like), and play more actions (instant events like Shotgon Blast which
wounds someone or Comitted, which makes a litte character go insane).

All in all, I like CoC much better than Mythos, but that is me. It has
far more of a traditional structure than Mythos had (play resources,
make guys, have your guys fight, play events out of your hand to
affect the fights, whatever) which might not work for you if you
really liked the non traditional structure of Mythos, and don't really
like CCGs like Shadowfist or Magic.

The game is pretty entertaining, and seems moderately balanced at this
point, although there is one card that seems *way* over the top of the
power curve (Rip Off), and I'm currently trying to figure out if I'm
just missing some obvious balancing point somehwere in the game.

-Peter

Peter D Bakija wrote:
> "Christoph" <jcboget@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> All in all, I like CoC much better than Mythos, but that is me. It has
> far more of a traditional structure than Mythos had (play resources,
> make guys, have your guys fight, play events out of your hand to
> affect the fights, whatever) which might not work for you if you
> really liked the non traditional structure of Mythos, and don't really
> like CCGs like Shadowfist or Magic.
>
> The game is pretty entertaining, and seems moderately balanced at this
> point, although there is one card that seems *way* over the top of the
> power curve (Rip Off), and I'm currently trying to figure out if I'm
> just missing some obvious balancing point somehwere in the game.

The whole thing of CoC being more like a traditional ccg is just what puts
me off, rather than attracting me. Mythos had a very good atmosphere when
played with a group who loved Lovecraft as much as playing games. It is
great to tell the story of your deck as you play it out and the mechanics
are fairly simple to learn quickly. I also liked the idea of an alter-ego,
like an rpg character, playing the game instead of myself......

CoC being like 'Fist or Magic is what is putting me off, but then I am a
committed Mythos fan! I have a complete set of all the cards as do most of
my playing group.
I shall be running UK Mythos Champs once again at GCUK this year, for the
3rd time and continuing the great tradition of tournaments started by my
friend Mr Bourne!

In case you now think that I don't like "traditional combat" ccgs, you are
wrong. I played Doomtown with a passion and currently play Warlord ccg. I
have also played M:TG and L5R and tried Shadowfist but cannot get on with
it.......
I played V:TES for a while too.......

--
Sy "Blackjack" Hughes (BH #917)
UK Dragon Lord

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.misc (More info?)

On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 14:05:44 +0100, "Sy Hughes" <gizmo@v21.me.uk>
wrote:

>The whole thing of CoC being more like a traditional ccg is just what puts
>me off, rather than attracting me. Mythos had a very good atmosphere when
>played with a group who loved Lovecraft as much as playing games. It is
>great to tell the story of your deck as you play it out and the mechanics
>are fairly simple to learn quickly. I also liked the idea of an alter-ego,
>like an rpg character, playing the game instead of myself......

I can see that. I loved the story aspect of Mythos. It made the CCG
stand alone as a fresh new game instead of making it a clone of Magic:
The Gathering. MTG is a great game, but it is a game about combat
rather than forwarding a Lovecraft story. I played Illuminati: NWO in
a similar story-telling fashion.

I wonder if you can still capture the style of Mythos in CoC. The
Factions would seem to add some story-telling possibilities. In
anything, CoC will be darker than Mythos. I really wanted some means
for playing up the horror in Mythos but found no way.

I'd really like a kind of survival horror CCG based on horror movies.
You know, something with cards representing slashers, supernatural
characters, young nubile girls alone in secluded cabins :)

>In case you now think that I don't like "traditional combat" ccgs, you are
>wrong. I played Doomtown with a passion and currently play Warlord ccg. I
>have also played M:TG and L5R and tried Shadowfist but cannot get on with
>it.......

- Keen Anthony

TRENDING THREADS