9700 Pro Performance Issues

davisbr

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2003
Alright guys here goes,
I was running a P4 2GHZ, Intel 845 Chipset, 512MB Ram, 4XAGP, GEForce2 440 64MB (crap I know) Win XP Home system. I could run games in low resolutions and was fine with it. Plus, the system handled my audio and video apps with more than sufficient speed. However, after seeing my little brother play AC2 at very high resolutions, I got the bug and bought a ATI 9700 Pro. Installed it last night and updated everything.

Complete disaster. System performance slowed to a halt. If I move this IE window it pumps up the CPU usage to 75%...I can't even run something like Realone and move it around. Trying to move the window freezes EVERYTHING up.

Granted I have all the bells and whistles turned on, but should that matter just running non 3D windows apps?!?

3D games at low resolutions are unplayable. In fact, I tried turning the detail down and it did nothing. System just as slow at low detail 800X600 as it is at 1280X1024 with detail and tricks maxed out.....

Any thoughts? I need help!

Thanks,

Bo

vegandago

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2002
sounds to me like your AGP is disabled. I had this problem when I first instlaled DX9... it took a fresh XP install to fix the problem.

"There is no dark or light side, only power and those too weak to seek it."

hartski

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2002
Do a clean instal of Windwos XP again. Or do a clean uninstall of the drivers, i.e. clean the registry of the drivers and re-install. I encountered something like this when I first installed my AIW 9700 Pro. I forgot to remove the old R8500 drivers from my system while the R8500 is still installed.

Before you remove your old videocard uninstall its drivers first while the old card is still on the AGP slot (do clean the registry to be sure). After that remove the card and insert the 9700 Pro and install it's drivers.

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
I like to do a format and fresh install, don't have the money to change vid card every 6 months and I do generate enough junk (leftover from stuff I install to try or used but no more) by the time I get the new card so a format is just a relief. keep everything running it top shape, less chance to develope problems do to leftovers

but that's just me

<b><font color=blue>Press 1 if you want to be on hold, 2 for disconnect, 3 for a representative who will put you on hold before disconnecting.</font color=blue></b>