Upgradeing from stone ages!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jt0542

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2011
Ok so i just got a new rig its 2 i7 extreme 3930k processors 3 gtx 590 24gb ram and 2 ssd drives with 2 1500w psu's but technicly its my dad's but he never games on it. Its water cooled and the fastest thing in my area by far. But im wanting to get into laptops more because my rig and my dad's are very powerful but not portable at all. I was looking at a toshiba laptop http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834214506 and i think its pretty solid. But i was wondering i know it has the apu which has the integrated grpahics built in the core i do beleive. I wanted to know if i could 1. Upgrade the apu resulting in better cores + better graphics or 2. upgrade the graphics by adding in a new graphics card. Also i want to know how you can tell if you can upgrade the graphics on a laptop aswell as the processor. And i wanted to know if there is a very cheap laptop out there that is very upgradeable. Thanks so much!

Jt0542

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2011
Also im open for all suggestions on gaming rigs but im trying to keep it under 500 if not post them anyways but i want to possibly try to find a laptop that can support dual graphics if not one that will be very fast gaming wise.

Most laptops have the CPUs (APUs) soldered into the motherboard. Therefore, upgrading can be impossible.

You can always call Toshiba customer support to find out if the APU can be upgraded. Most laptops do not allow you to upgrade the video card. Those that do are certain gaming laptops and are generally priced at $1,500+.

HugoStiglitz

Distinguished
***BEEP***BEEP***BEEP
FORUM TROLL DETECTED

didn't think you could run 3x 590's in SLI either
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=207863

no such thing as a "CHEAP" upgradable laptop
and only VERY FEW laptops can run dual graphics chips and they are certainly not cheap.

if u want performance gaming laptop its going to be expensive
if u want upgradeable graphics / CPU in a laptop its going to be expensive
if u want dual graphics cards in a laptop its going to be expensive

if u want all of the above in a laptop for cheap.........KEEP DREAMING

Jt0542

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2011

Well first off jesus calm down? And secondly you CAN run 3 gtx 590's idc what nvidia has to say about that. The sli connector is custom along with everything else on his computer and if you want i can take a vid and show pics of the benchmarks so leave?

Jt0542

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2011
Well you all apparently are pretty standard and say the same thing but you know little to nothing about computers based on what you guys are saying. ANYWAYS who cares about my dads computer you troll's this is asking about the laptops -.-

HugoStiglitz

Distinguished
PICS OR IT DIDNT HAPPEN. have one with a piece of paper with ur forum name on it (Jt0542)
A CPUz & GPUz screen shot would help to.

You do know there is only 1 SLI connecter per card on the 590's meaning you can connected each 590 to only 1 other 590.
you need 2x connectors per card to hook up 3 or more cards.

When somebody describes a $7,000 desktop that likely doesn't exist, it attracts some attention. Since you only care about the laptop, maybe you should keep to the pertinent facts if you don't want people to get distracted.

GI_JONES

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006
It is my understanding, that with a properly configured flux capacitor, you can run infinate 590's in sli. I currently have one of those cards running each line of display in my custom built PC. The only downside is you have to wear a tinfoil hat to keep the radiation from mutating your brain :D

andrewcarr

Distinguished
lol nice one ^^
If you want an actual laptop that can do this look into this (yes an actual answer). But it will cost a fortune and still semi mobile. http://web.eurocom.com/EC/ec_model_config1(1,214,0)
it only will cost you $7000

mightymaxio

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
lol unless you have a custom built case that supports dual motherboards atm because the nvidia SR3 isnt out yet. You cant have two of the new I7's even server boards for that socket type are not out yet. And 24 gigs of ram common get real, if that was a super awesome amazing WTF computer it would at least have 128 gigs of ram from the 16 ram slots from a dual socket board.

OH and BTW its physically impossible to have a dual socket board for consumer grade chips because its missing a data link to enable dual sockets. So if it were actually a dual socket board it would have two socket 2011 server xeon chips inside of it which are non existant atm.

TheEliteAurora

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2011

No your wrong. You certainly cannot run 6 580s in SLI so why would 3 590s work. Please explain....

Status
Not open for further replies.