Ipconfig wont work

Hello, my ipconfig wont work i think its because i messed up my path variable can anyone help me fix it i cant get their manually because my windows wont validate
15 answers Last reply
More about ipconfig wont work
  1. Michael, can you explain what you are doing? Are you running ipconfig from an elevated command prompt? If so, what error message are you getting?
  2. Besides, you can get all the info you need in Network and Sharing Center.
  3. You can always navigate to C:\windows\system32 in the command prompt window and run ipconfig from there, eliminating the path variables.
  4. wallyinnc, I would usually goto run>cmd>ipconfig and it would usually come up.Then the error comes up as "is not recognized as an internal or external command operable or batch file." I think it was because i messed up my path. So i guess what my question is how can i fix it back or what should i put in their i now can do it manually cause i fixed my windows.
  5. Zoron, i did not see anything about the ips in network and sharing.
    pkmelect, when ever i try to open it from their it opens then it will close instantly, which i think has to do with the path variable
  6. Before you start changing your path variables check that ipconfig.exe is in the C:windows/system32 folder and that it works. If it works ok from there then it is your path variables that are incorrect. To edit the path variables right click ‘My Computer’ select Properties, select the advanced tab, select the ‘Environmental Variables’ button.
    Under the system variables box you should have the setting “PATH” which should contain the following variable value ‘%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%’ It will also contain other variables depending on which programs you have installed. You should also have the setting “PATHEXT” which should contain .COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH;.PSC1
    You should also check that the setting “windir” is set to your Windows directory.
  7. you have to launch the command prompt, and then do the ipconfig.
    The only other thing I have seen is some virusi replace ipconfig and msconfig. do a virus and malware scan from SAFE MODE.
  8. In Network and Sharing Center click on the active connection, then click Details. You'll get all the info you would using ipconfig.
  9. Hello Michael,

Go to "Run", type "ipconfig".

Or run "CMD", "ipconfig"

thanks again,

John M
    Microsoft Windows Client Team
  10. Michaelmhmhmh said:
    Hello, my ipconfig wont work i think its because i messed up my path variable can anyone help me fix it i cant get their manually because my windows wont validate

Change your path variable to "C:\Windows\System32\" that should fix it and allow you to use cmd.exe normally
  11. Zedonk said:
    Michaelmhmhmh said:

Change your path variable to "C:\Windows\System32\" that should fix it and allow you to use cmd.exe normally

This should work:
    Open up CMD and type:
    cd C:\

cd Windows

cd System32

ipconfig
    (In reply to Zedonk.)
  12. Michaelmhmhmh said:

search cmd in START SEARCH and right click and run as administrator you may need a password for the administrator account (the main account) and type ipconfig and it will work
  13. how do you get it working man mine does the same thing
  14. Michaelmhmhmh said:

click Start -> run -> CMD -> at the C: prompt ipconfig /all
  15. First click start then run enter -> CDM -> enter then ipconfige /all enter and you will get all full info
    after that you can ping
Ask a new question

Read More

Configuration ipconfig Windows 7