Your thought?

Radecut

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012
Hey guys! So, what do you guys think about the new Windows? Personally, I really don't see much of a difference, but seeing how it used less computing power, that's a plus. Also with the new $40 upgrade price, I hope more people will switch over. I mean really? Windows XP? Way old. So what are your thoughts about it?

AyuX

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012

Try the release preview. Like it then buy it. Else use Windows 7 and be happy with it. IEEE member? How is that a big deal? :lol: Just Kidding

I have the release preview in a VM. I didn't say that I didn't like it because I do, just that it's not huge improvement over the status quo. This is understandable because Microsoft set the bar very high with Windows 7.

There are very few 'core' parts of Windows that need to be improved upon right now, certainly not enough to justify paying the traditional price for a new version of Windows. This means that most changes will be either cosmetic or add-value, which is exactly what we're seeing. For a $40 upgrade it's not bad, there's some neat stuff in Windows 8 for sure and I'll be happy just to have the improved native driver support.

Windows XP was the result of merging the Windows 4.x lineup with the Windows NT lineup. Windows Vista was the result of a paradigm shift invoked to improve application support, stability and security. Windows 7 was a shine job on Windows Vista.

You'd be hard pressed to identify any serious cracks in Windows 7 which necessitates any sort of serious upgrade and Microsoft would seem to agree.

CDdude55

Distinguished

A lot of people have no incentive to move away from XP even if it's old, that's way it still has a large market share.

I personally have no reason to spend any amount of money on Windows 8, As Windows 7 does everything i need it to do and will wait until i have incentive to move to whatever new version of Windows is out at the time.

I also dislike the GUI for Windows 8, even though i have seen before that there is an option to revert back to a more Windows 7 oriented interface, but there really is no point.

Smeg45

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
Sticking with Win 7. Can't be bothered switching. Chrome and Libreoffice works fine in 7 for my work PC. My gaming PC, Win 8 brings nothing except Directx11.1, which is nothing special over current DirectX11. Bottom line, Win 8 does nothing new I want or need. Its shiny and new and a touch faster but buying it? No. Downloading it? No. This is the first time I won't be upgrading to a new version of Windows.

gmaster456

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
I like it a lot. After spending some time with it and getting to know the ins and outs, it's really not that bad. You can actually be more efficient with it if you really learn how to use it. People try to use it like they did Windows 7 and that is the wrong approach. It needs to be treated as something entirely new. I'm definitely going to be getting a few copies. I will admit, going back from Windows 7 from Windows 8 makes 7 feel, outdated is as best as I can describe it. It makes you think "Oh. That's how things were before?"That being said, I don't think it makes much sense for business already running Windows 7. I'm going to have to further evaluate it. There are some great business features though. Windows 7 is still a fantastic OS and I think most will agree that it is probably one of the, if the not best OS of all time.

Hi :)

I would be interested in what you consider "great business features" ??

We have been testing it and cannot see ANY good business features that are not easier in 7...

All the best Brett :)

gmaster456

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011

I was going to type out a long list, but I found this instead, which includes everything I was going to type and then some.

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/259631/windows_8_features_that_will_benefit_businesses.html

Something missing is storage spaces, which is a great feature for the server side of things (for small business mostly). It's also a nice thing to have at home to if you have some drives laying around.

Easiness is also subjective.

fenetre8

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012
guys,
windows 8 is just perfect on a tablet computer like my Acer W500
it is mainly built in order Microsoft to try not not be too far from ios or android speaking about touch devices and i have to say a big whow so far : right now i m touch typing this on my sofa with my tablet ! (yes like itruc or androthing ;)
and if i want i just plug to the dock , touch the desktop tile and i can use mouse and keyboard ! so far it is just perfect for both worlds then :)

kylexps

Honorable
Aug 4, 2012

At first, before i really used windows 8, I didn't like the windows 8 "new user interface" (as Microsoft now calls it). Now, I find it very easy and just attractive. The boot up takes 30 seconds (running on a 180gb 7200rpm hard drive. oh. and i have Pentium processor. Kinda old but it still works.) I say that its a bit faster. Now, i just love it. haha.

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010

not really,

most buissness use some form of raid,

you try using a storage pool from your pc on a completely differnet motherboard i doubt it would work

storage pool = fancy name for raid

MidnightDistort

Distinguished
May 11, 2012
I just don't like the Tablet interface with the blocks. I know Microsoft is trying to show off how it looks by putting pointless programs onto the OS (which i think advanced users should be able to choose what to have on it, if it's not already an option) i'm really happy with Win7 tho. Some things look better then others and overall it's just another OS to learn.

owoturo timi

Honorable
Sep 4, 2012
I have windows 8 on my pc and the differences between windows 7 aren't much but their major differences it is lighter it doesn't hang up much unlike windows vista and 7. The ui is far better talking about the start menu you can link your computer using windows 8 with another pc with windows live you can play xbox on windows 8. You have the weather gadget which is pretty cool a lot of stuff has been installed on windows 8 so it not going to be like windows vista or 7 its one of the best microsoft has produced that's why they are putting it on the microsoft surface so I recomend you guys to install it on your pc but before you do that create a new partition and install it on that partition so it doesn't replace you existin g os

Smeg45

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012

Ubuntu is not plug and play and everybody is happy. Yet. There are still issues you can run into which more than likely involve terminal commands.

macbookproi5

Honorable
May 25, 2012

I like it. It's still a work in progress. It took me 20 secs to boot up my laptop.