A little help...?

Getting ready to upgrade a cad station. Looking at a dell desk top.
4 pentium or better, 1 gig mem. 150 gig hd or better, good graphics
card, 19" flat screen
$1500-$3000+-

Any recommendations on dell packages or other options.

I appreciate any help or recommendations.

Steve

"S. R. Sheffield" <srsheffield@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> Getting ready to upgrade a cad station. Looking at a dell desk top.
> 4 pentium or better, 1 gig mem. 150 gig hd or better, good graphics
> card, 19" flat screen
> $1500-$3000+-
>
> Any recommendations on dell packages or other options.
>
> I appreciate any help or recommendations.
>

> Steve

Very general suggestions:

Take a look at the Precision Workstations first. Your second and third
choices will likely be the Optiplex GX280 or the Dimension 8400.

If you look closely at the technical specs., you'll see that the PWS is
beefier with more features and options, but it will cost you. I'm not sure,
but the default warranty options may also be better for the workstation.

Don't cheap out and go for either a mid-level Optiplex or Dimension. Get
the top of the line of either if you don't go with the PWS.

Stew

Carefully check the requirements of your software. The new Dell systems do
not have AGP slots - they have PCI Express, which is not yet supported by
many CAD programs.