Improving graphics

zj_wong

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2003
HI,
I just changed my graphics card to a nvidia geforce 4 mmx 440 128 mb ddr ram, however I notice that the graphics did not improve significantly in fact there was no noticeable improvement in graphics at all, since the old graphics card was only 8 mb also from nvidia. Does the graphics have to do with the cpu, monitor or other factors? i'm using a 667 mhz cpu with 128 sdram, the monitor is a 17 inch flatscreen p76 IBM, plz advise thanks a lot.

zero9ine

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2002
Yes the CPU and Ram have a significant role in increasing the performance (monitor wont) you wont get nearly as much out of the card as you would on a P4 1ghz or faster machine.

I bought a GeForce 4 Ti 4600 (128 ram) and Im running a P3 800mhz, 512mb ram, and its running faster than my other GF2MX400 but I would get far better results from a faster CPU, which means an upgrade of my motherboard, cpu, ram, but this will suffice for the moment until I get some cash to upgrade my computer.

Also MX cards arent really that great anyway, or so Ive read on many forums, supposedly they are on par with a GeForce 3.

Is your 667mhz CPU a pentium 2? Pentium 3? that could also be the bottleneck too..