OC'ing Graphics cards

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
quick question..

i don't wanna overclock the FSB and all that stuff, but can i still OC' the Graphics card to make that run better..?

if so what do you do?

Is THG Slightly Slacking??

zero9ine

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2002
Depends what Card you are using, I know Nvidia ones come with the newest Drivers you get the Clock Frequency tab to overclock the card via display > advanced (where you would adjust the DX and OpenGl settings for the card.

check out www.guru3d.com they also might have some util to overclock your card with along with tutorials..

be careful when doing it tho, only test it in small amounts I did 10% of the original amount e.g 10% of 300mhz 30mhz so adjusted it to 330mhz and see if there is any tearing, flickering etc if not its ok, if there is lower the amount or increase it if its going good.

hope some of that helps

zero9ine

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2002
so you should be able to use the Nvidia overclocking thing then as its pretty standard among GF chipsets.

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
ok, so when i use that utility, i just simply use that tool only and just change settings? or do i have to go into the BIOS and change stuff like doing FSB oc's and stuff?

Is THG Slightly Slacking??

zero9ine

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2002
Do you have the option to overclock? im not sure if you have to run a patch to make it show up, But i think it may be visible with the Nvidia 42.01 or 41.09 drivers.

You can just use that > under desktop properties (display properties > settings > advanced > Geforce 4 (or whatever your card was again) > clock frequencies (depending on drivers the tab folds out or you have to click advanced again or something similar)

you can mess with this to your hearts content, and thats all you need to do, it changes your memory clock and core clock, you dont need to change anything in your bios.

adjust both by little increments, 10%, 12%, and so on if you like.

i did about 12% on my old GF2MX400 and it worked fine.

you can also download http://www.guru3d.com/nvhardpage/ this software which will tweak hidden features on your card and other nvidia cards this will also open up the clock frequencies tab from the above mentioned display properties, along with some others (i might have used this first to open the overclocking tab)

http://www.guru3d.com/overclocking.shtml this might help with other tips too, incase i missed any.

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
I made my quadro dcc 20% faster in gpu and 21.bla bla bla% faster in mem, shall we go some more?

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
- Mario Andretti

zero9ine

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2002
depends if your card has a big enough heatsink to disperse the heat its going to produce and if your card can handle being overclocked so high, you could probably do it to the max capability which i have done on the GF2mx400 previously but the graphics were playing up and werent aligned correctly so I had to turn the clocking down.

I cant tell you what to clock it up to, you have to see what works best but its your responsibility if it sets on fire or whatever :) ... just test it each time you increase it.. some cards cant handle massive overclocking like my old Sparkle Geforce2 mx400 which i think had a crappy heatsink, or fan cant remember which..

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
I dun need help ocing my vid card, I know it's limits. I'm just considering that $600 case/cooling system Tom reviewing :evil:

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
- Mario Andretti