GFX Upgrade for 4550

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

I'm looking to upgrade my 9700 TX in my Dimension 4550. It appears to be dying
otherwise I wouldn't bother :-(
The new card needs to be reasonably new so that it can handled Doom/Half Life
etc.

I am looking for real world success and failure stories for various cards I'm
considering. The last thing I want to do is buy one that won't work with
the 4550. It seems some people are having trouble with the x800 Radeons.

So has anyone successfully/un-successfully added and of the following?
Can you make specify the exact model (eg. Pro/XT/SE) as there are just so
many different variants out there.
Did you have to upgrade BIOS or anything else to get it to work?

So the cards I'm thinking of are:
Radeon 9800
Nvidia 6600
Nvidia 6800
Radeon x800

Thanks

pete

I run a Radeon 9800 Pro in mine and it works great. I don't think the X800
will fit, as it is PCI-E.

I always use ATI, so that's my suggestion.

SE -> Pro -> XT

Tom
"Pete" <nothere@notthere.either> wrote in message
> I'm looking to upgrade my 9700 TX in my Dimension 4550. It appears to be
> dying
> otherwise I wouldn't bother :-(
> The new card needs to be reasonably new so that it can handled Doom/Half
> Life
> etc.
>
> I am looking for real world success and failure stories for various cards
> I'm
> considering. The last thing I want to do is buy one that won't work with
> the 4550. It seems some people are having trouble with the x800 Radeons.
>
> So has anyone successfully/un-successfully added and of the following?
> Can you make specify the exact model (eg. Pro/XT/SE) as there are just so
> many different variants out there.
> Did you have to upgrade BIOS or anything else to get it to work?
>
> So the cards I'm thinking of are:
> Radeon 9800
> Nvidia 6600
> Nvidia 6800
> Radeon x800
>
> Thanks
>
> pete

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

In article <hJednfFe4I0unDLcRVn-hQ@comcast.com>,
Tom Scales <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote:
>I run a Radeon 9800 Pro in mine and it works great. I don't think the X800
>will fit, as it is PCI-E.
>
>I always use ATI, so that's my suggestion.
>
>SE -> Pro -> XT

Thanks for that Tom.

I thought the 9800 would a safe bet, although it would be good to get the
most future proof (ok I'm kidding myself) card possible.

The x800 comes in both AGP and PCI-E.

Pete