AGP aperature size

BeZ

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
ok i got the radeon 9700, in bios what should i set the agp aperature size to? the card is a 128 ddr
so i was gonna change the setting from 64 to 128
is this what it should be?

Magneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Bez,

The aperture setting depends alot on how much system RAM you have installed in your system.
The Radeon 9700 w. 128 meg video memory is a powerful card, and I wouldn't think you should change your aperture from 64 to 128.
Try benchmarking your system using something like 3D Mark 2001 or something similar. Then try adjusting your aperture setting and running the tests again to find just what setting gives the best results.
Also, keep in mind that by raising the aperature setting, this reserves that amount of RAM for AGP use, and this memory won't be available for games that need it.

Mag...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
A lot of people talk about AGP aparture like it's a mistical thing, saying things like "half the amount of RAM you have" and so forth. I've experimented and found out that none of these rumors are true, in fact using 256MB AGP aperture on 256MB RAM without incident.

What it REALLY comes down to is how much the PROGRAM you're using wants. Some want as much as 64MB, others as much as 256MB. Extensive testing has shown me that the best overall performance comes with AGP aperture at 128MB, regardless of how much RAM or video memory you have.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

TRENDING THREADS